Thermal Mitigation - screen dim - hidden menu?

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Bought a G4, got an ugly dim screen. Got a replacement, ugly dim screen.

However, before I send this second disaster back I realize that the screen seems to be fine until I sync or "restore" from my G3 via either a Google account sync or a straight restore from a backed up G3.

The problem seems to be something that my backup is telling the phone to do.

My G3's screen dimming was such nuisance that I went into the hidden menu and turned on the High Temperature Property and the Thermal Daemon Mitigation.

That blocked the phone from being crazy agressive on the auto dimming but I feel like my G4 has somehow picked that up from my back up because the screen now has the trademark Mitigation flicker that my G3 does when I land on a new screen/app/page/etc.

I found the hidden menu on the G4 but cant see the two properties I would like to verify. Until I find it, I'm either stuck with a yellowish dimmed screen or just send it back and cut my losses.

If you happen to know what Im talking about, do chime in. Thx

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thread has been cleaned up. The op doesn't wish for responses unless you know the exact answer to,his question, so in the future, op, please include this in your future threads to avoid misunderstanding.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried doing a reset, and not having Google restore your G3 settings?

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
If I was having issues that I narrowed down to a restore, I simply wouldn't restore from a backup. I would set up as new. Have you tried that?

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried doing a reset, and not having Google restore your G3 settings?

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

Indeed. In my post you may notice that i mentioned both a sync and a restore as two seperate events, which would indicate a hard reset between them for isolation purposes. I should have been clearer on that.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
If I was having issues that I narrowed down to a restore, I simply wouldn't restore from a backup. I would set up as new. Have you tried that?

I have, which is why I mention that my screen seems fine "until I sync or restore". Of course, my phone has to sync with my Google accounts as they are an integral part of the Android experience.

As a reiteration, I ask why does a plain synchronization (of the basics sync elements) have an affect on a property as far reaching as screen brightness throttling, absent any type of restore from a previously corrected hardware. Thx

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Not wanting to wait 6 months for a "work around", I brought it to the store for return. When the guy working there saw it he said there is a big "bad batch" of G4s floating around in Canada (didn't ask where he gets that from).

He took out a brand new G4 and asked me to backup the bad one and restore it to the new one. No more ugly screen.

I told him that when I factory reset the ugly one, it seemed better. He reset it and sure enough, after a few decent minutes, the phone dropped to a pale yellow when the throttling kicked into abnormal overdrive. Out with the trash, in with my new phone.

Now I have the crisp white (cold) screen I wanted.

Thanks for any input and if anyone down the road googles the throttling problem and has something to add to this thread (like the answer to the original question) please do because I still want to know. Thnx

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Glad you're back up and running! Seems like there have been an abnormally high number of defective G4s out there.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Glad you're back up and running! Seems like there have been an abnormally high number of defective G4s out there.

Thank you. It does look that way. When the store clerk went in the back to get his boss, I heard the boss say "Je commence d'être tanné" (meaning I'm started to get sick of this). He did not look inpressed. He took the phone that I was leaving there and shot it in the LG box like it was junk from the dollar store. I enjoyed that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty