LG G4 won't turn on

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a G4 with Verizon and on Sunday I powered it down to swap my battery. I had about 30% left on the battery in the phone and a fully charged spare. I put the second battery in and since then it will not power on. I have tried both batteries and connected it to the power adapter... nothing happens (no lights, sounds, or vibrations). I called Verizon and they are sending me a refurb replacement but I'll need to send this one back once that device is up and running. I want to see if anyone has ideas on how to eliminate my data. I do have a SD card with my pictures so that's fine. I just want to erase everything else.

I have been playing with the phone for the past day and a half and I have gotten it to power on for a brief moment here or there. It is very random and sometimes it will show the LG splash screen and then it goes back out. I also have had it vibrate like it is turning on only not to show anything. A couple of times it has vibrated for over a minute straight before cutting back out. And while it was sitting on my desk it was rebooting itself several times earlier today until giving up. Also, when I plug it into my PC I do hear the Windows sound that you get when connecting a drive. But no drive letters appear. I am hopeful that I can get it to turn on long enough to erase everything. The phone is not rooted and is using the latest Android OS (I believe it was 5.1.1) that Verizon sent out in November. Pressing the volume down and power together does nothing. Only way I have ever got the phone to respond in the past 24 hours is holding power for 20+ seconds and maybe it will work. But then it turns back off.

I did not notice any other issues recently and I have swapped batteries dozens of times and never had this problem. It was powered off properly prior to this all happening. If anyone has any ideas of ways I can try to get it back on that would be great. Thank you!

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
That's what I've read too. :( Hopefully the replacement I receive was made after that time frame. Sadly I could only get a "Like New" replacement so it could come with its own set of problems.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
That's what I've read too. :( Hopefully the replacement I receive was made after that time frame. Sadly I could only get a "Like New" replacement so it could come with its own set of problems.

Yeah, I got a refurbished G4 from T-Mobile. It is like new. No problems, still loving this phone.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I saw your other forum post. I'll say this about your reservations regarding LG. After owning the Optimus G and the Nexus 5, the G4 is the first LG phone I've had a problem. I felt a little burned are first, but I really feel like you have to chalk this up to "things happen". Because things do happen. Now if something happens with the G5 in production, I'll just say twice is a trend and that might make me take my business somewhere else. I'm giving LG the benefit of a doubt.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site

It's hard to tell when te replacement was made unless you open the phone because the serial number is based on the original unit. You will see the inside parts all having different revision and dates that are way more current and after the original manufactured date. I always open the replacements they send and swap all the parts around until I get the latest ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa