Issues with contact thumbnails in Google Messenger on MM

Jacob Clark

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded to Marshmallow, I have had the pixelated contact thumbnail issue that happened a lot a couple years ago. No matter what, I can't seem to fix it in Google's Messenger app (or any SMS app, for that matter) even if the contact thumbnails are just fine in the contacts app. I'd really appreciate some help here, even if you can redirect me to a fix somewhere else, because the whole reason I use Messenger is because of the way it uses the contact thumbnails.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure if these will work, but here are a couple of suggestions:

1. If all of your contacts are saved to your Google account (and not the local Phone account), then go to Settings>Apps>All, select Contacts, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. Do the same for Contact Storage. Now open Contacts again, and wait a few seconds for the database to resync.

2. If that doesn't work, then try going to Settings>Accounts-Google, select your account, and remove it. Then add it back again, and see if that helps.

Jacob Clark

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I ended up switching to QKSMS and for some reason the thumbnails show up just fine there. Weird. I guess I'll be sticking with it instead of Google Messenger.