Official Gingerbread!?!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So I just spoke with a Sprint technician and he said (take this with a grain of salt) that they are shooting for a mid-September release for the OTA/LG Mobile Support update.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
We should have a ROM before that, lol.

It's just the kernel source. Really. Except for USB tethering and overclocking, there wasn't anything missing from the .32 kernel. Most of the bugs stem from the closed source bits that LG will never release... ever. Stuff like headset sensing is not done in kernel (at least not with the stock 2.2.x ROMs). Likewise none of the radio stuff is dealt with in the kernel.

So... yeah. Trust me on this, the kernel source simply isn't /that/ big of a deal. What you'll want are the binary blobs from the stock Gingerbread so you can chuck out the shims.

Edit: Since both of you guys seem to be awake now, could one of you file a pull request to get the binary blobs for the LS670 committed? Thanks.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It's just the kernel source. Really. Except for USB tethering and overclocking, there wasn't anything missing from the .32 kernel. Most of the bugs stem from the closed source bits that LG will never release... ever. Stuff like headset sensing is not done in kernel (at least not with the stock 2.2.x ROMs). Likewise none of the radio stuff is dealt with in the kernel.

So... yeah. Trust me on this, the kernel source simply isn't /that/ big of a deal. What you'll want are the binary blobs from the stock Gingerbread so you can chuck out the shims.

Yes, precisely. Which is why I'm not touching the non-kernel source they released.

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Then I guess we can hope they release it soon so that we can get to work.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Then I guess we can hope they release it soon so that we can get to work.

Quite frankly, you're in a pretty good position to start work on an AOSP based ROM already. You can certainly try it with a .32 kernel (and I expect most stuff would just work).

Anyhow. Can one of you guys submit a pull request for the LS670 binary blobs?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Visual Voicemail may/may not get fixed ever. We won't know until the update actually drops. The source release, while encouraging, means next to nothing as far as core system compatibility goes.

In other news, guess who just perma-bricked his phone? I DID!
Note to self: Do NOT go mucking about with partition sizes ever. Not sure what happened but I can't boot into Android, recovery or even e-mode.

Last edited:

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching this thread all day even though I no longer use my optimus s (I do still own it and it is still rooted) and this was a rollercoaster day. I loved that phone because it was like taking a stock Nissan and tricking it out. I hope LG picks up the ball soon (I'm never buying LG again now that I see how good HTC is with updates. I even hate my blue ray DVD player now And got rid of my LG flatscreen because I did have separate issues with those 2) but ill always love that phone. Eventually Roms will be available and I can't wait to see what they can do. That optimus was my first android phone and I'm glad it opened the door for me.

PS Drew did you unbrick your device? I know you said permanent but you've worked magic before. Are you gonna get another?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh God :(

I love how my sign says HTC VISION and I'm in my optimus s xD oh them flashable zips :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

If you used the new ones, just flash the revert zip. You can still use netflix. If you used the old ones, well its a different story. Lol.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Visual Voicemail may/may not get fixed ever. We won't know until the update actually drops. The source release, while encouraging, means next to nothing as far as core system compatibility goes.

In other news, guess who just perma-bricked his phone? I DID!
Note to self: Do NOT go mucking about with partition sizes ever. Not sure what happened but I can't boot into Android, recovery or even e-mode.

Ah Nutz!

That sucks! :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89