Rooting LG Optimus S zvj/mvj WITHOUT using a computer?

missingseven

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is this possible? If so, how? Everything I've read here involves connecting my phone to a PC, and I'm not able to do so at the moment.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Is this possible? If so, how? Everything I've read here involves connecting my phone to a PC, and I'm not able to do so at the moment.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Nope, you need a computer. Period.

IMO you shouldn't be messing with your phone if you don't have a computer available to perform unbricking if the worst should happen.

Reactions: sammyz

missingseven

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Frack!

Alright, thanks. I have a computer, I just don't have the USB cable and I was hoping I could get around that... because I want to root my phone NOW. I guess I'll just buy one tomorrow.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I love my dog, but I am so short on USB cables for my phone right now, too. :-\ Why does every wire scream "Chew me!!"? Please know that there are other features and options available once you have gone through the initial headache, whether it be Terminal Emulator on the phone or ADB over wifi.

ClutchX_LA

The_Boss
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
how do i do adb over wifi? totally new to this stuff -.-

I would root my wii if it ran on Android, but i have already hacked it. :)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
CM9 has the option too, can't recall if it works or not. Settings > Developer Options > check USB Debugging and ADB over Network. Find the local IP of your phone. (Settings > Wireless and Networks > tap the network you're connected to, it will show your IP there.) Open a command prompt and type "adb connect x.x.x.x" x.x.x.x being your phone's IP address.

blockhunsberger

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe I did root ZVJ with just my phone a few times. If not, then it was ZVH, which as far as I know isn't much different. I just used terminal, and changed a couple commands. Google it, that's what I did.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
highly doubt it. I've been looking for a method to root zvj for the past week. for some reason, I'm not able to. I haven't found a single way to do it on only the phone. maybe you did it with zvh.

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
highly doubt it. I've been looking for a method to root zvj for the past week. for some reason, I'm not able to. I haven't found a single way to do it on only the phone. maybe you did it with zvh.
Have you had any luck?? I have an Optimus S that I had upgraded to ZVJ while rooted and then made the mistake of doing a factory wipe. SO I lost my root. Now it appears that the port won't recognize USB (it only charges through the usb connection) so I am stuck.
Really want to be able to root and use again....

williek113

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any luck?? I have an Optimus S that I had upgraded to ZVJ while rooted and then made the mistake of doing a factory wipe. SO I lost my root. Now it appears that the port won't recognize USB (it only charges through the usb connection) so I am stuck.
Really want to be able to root and use again....

do u have the drivers installed?

anon(523450)

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
do u have the drivers installed?
yes, I have installed them numerous times. LOL I made sure I had a cable that was working (I can plug a different phone in and it will recognize the usb connection) but when I plug the Optimus in, it only charges, it doesn't even make the noise that a computer makes when you plug something in.
I was thinking that it might have been a Windows problem, but I think that it must be that the usb port on the phone is dead. That is the only reason I can think of that the cord and computer would recognize another phone and not this one. (If it was a driver issue, I think the computer would say "need drivers" or "looking for drivers" or something like that, right?)

Ah, looking at your signature, I can see you are also using Windows 7. I am assuming that means that it would not be a Windows problem. I trued upgrading the BIOS on the computer, but HP doesn't have BIOS updates for Windows 7 for my laptop (Presario V6700)

Kylelipp787

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
yes, I have installed them numerous times. LOL I made sure I had a cable that was working (I can plug a different phone in and it will recognize the usb connection) but when I plug the Optimus in, it only charges, it doesn't even make the noise that a computer makes when you plug something in.
I was thinking that it might have been a Windows problem, but I think that it must be that the usb port on the phone is dead. That is the only reason I can think of that the cord and computer would recognize another phone and not this one. (If it was a driver issue, I think the computer would say "need drivers" or "looking for drivers" or something like that, right?)

Ah, looking at your signature, I can see you are also using Windows 7. I am assuming that means that it would not be a Windows problem. I trued upgrading the BIOS on the computer, but HP doesn't have BIOS updates for Windows 7 for my laptop (Presario V6700)

I am having the exact same issue. You aren't alone. Ever since ZVJ it only charges through usb. Downgraded to ZVH and took it to the Sprint store. They did something and fixed it, then told me it needed to be upgraded back to ZVJ. As soon as they re-updated it, it stopped connecting again. It's so frustrating. They said I can get a replacement for $35. I'm reluctant to do so now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa