No Data Connection After ZVJ Update

DiehlC13

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello Optimus S users,

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus S just gave out yesterday, (probably from overuse, the battery and charging port were shot) so I managed to come across an Optimus S from a friend. So I went to sprint and had a service swap to this device and I familiarized myself with this device. So far I really like it. Its pretty nice.

Anyway, I have been following the tutorials here on Rooting this phone. When I got it, it already had ZVJ from the get go. Reading around I come to realize I am supposed to downgrade to ZVD/ZVH, Root, then Update back to ZVJ again, then root, and should be good to go.

Well I managed to downgrade and root, that was successful. So I went into the new Xionia CWMA recovery to install the ZVJ update so I could continue as instructed.
First off when I ran the update it stated that the file had no signature. so I couldn't install it. I then read elsewhere to go into "Install Zip from SD Card" and just toggle signature verification. I disabled that and the update went through no problem. I then booted up, and was back to the good old familiar Gingerbread back on ZVJ. But no matter what my Data could not connect. It was weird. As if it was in airplane mode. nothing though. I went into "About Phone" > "Phone Status" and all of that information said "Unknown", my number, MIN, service, etc. all blank. And when I dragged down the status bar it stated "Searching for Service".

I know the file is not corrupted or anything because I checked it against the MD5 checksum provided by the link of the file in the first place.

Thankfully I was able to go back into Xionia and downgrade back to ZVD so it would at least have service, even if it is on ancient Froyo.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? what should I do to be able to update and root?

I have two thoughts on why this may be happening.
1: the update needs to be applied using the stock recovery only. (which is why the signature failed)
2: When I updated I was still on the old radio or something, preventing my service from being found.

So what do you guys think?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Though situations like this kind of suck sometimes, I really enjoy the learning aspect of getting to know a new device in and out.

Take care.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
You have to flash zvj update on the stock recovery to flash the radio. If you are not going to root, just flash the update.zip twice

Rooting zvj is longer process than zvd , but there's a sticky about it by sfhub.

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not worked with Xionia myself - but most other custom recoveries for the Optimus S cannot properly flash an update.zip - this is by design.
(I use Cannibal Open Touch myself which has most of the phone specific options from Xionia, I think ZenGarden Touch does too? TWRP is also supported but does not have hidden partition bootloop fixes and such included)

Anyhow, sounds like exactly the problem you're having - you're ending up on ZVJ rom with ZVD baseband (because custom recoveries will not flash radio.img for you)
in theory you could flash the ZVJ to ZVD patch, or the libs at least, and get data with ZVD baseband on ZVJ... but unless you need ZVD baseband for signal issues, that might be a bit much...

To flash from ZVD to ZVJ you must either manually flash images, use fastboot (to again manually flash images, or one-click scripts that effect the same), or use stock recovery.

Also, this information probably comes a bit late but... it's easier to flash from ZVJ to ZVH to root imo... :(

DiehlC13

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay thanks guys.

But yeah Id like to go back to ZVJ for sure.

Can I flash back the stock recovery so I can just do the ZVH way instead? If so where could I find the files to do so?

EDIT: My bad, I double checked OptiAuto and it appears to have an option to install the stock recovery.

So if I do that, I will be on ZVD baseband, with root, but stock recovery.

If I were to have that set up, I should be able to follow his automated method correct?

Last edited:

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The automated method works. I've used it on 3 different phones. Just follow the instructions at the link.

When you're done, I'd recommend installing ZVJ/Gingerbread-based DanteROM.

I'd also recommend overclocking (probably to 787MHz or 806MHz). I use NoFrillsCPU (free) overclocking app (with the SmartAss v2 governor, "noop", and "apply on boot" settings).

I'd also recommend installing a memory-expanding app like Link2SD per the following instructions.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ry-using-link2sd-w-pros-cons-vs-data2ext.html