New Phone - Should I get the LG Optimus S or Slider?

siryoink

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! I've been reading thru the forums here trying to decide which of two new phones to get. Either one will be on the Sprint network, and what I'm trying to determine is the mod-community support for each phone. Don't really have a preference towards the sliding keyboard or not, but one major difference I see in the specs is the Slider is 800mhz vs 600mhz for the S.

So, three questions...
1. I've found some information on upgrading the Optimus S to ICS. Is the same thing possible for the slider?

2. Will I be gaining any signifigant speed by getting the Slider? From what I've read, the two processors in the phones may actually the same, but the slider is running faster stock speeds? If that's the case, what kind of luck have people had overclocking the Optimus S?

3. Price being equal, anyone here seen enough user reports to say which is the better phone?

Thanks in advance!

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
1) It would be better to ask about ICS for the Optimus Slider on that forum. I took a quick look and ICS doesn't seem to be available.

2) It seems that the Optimus Slider comes from the factory, pre-overclocked (so perhaps not much ability to overclock it further, though the Optimus Q folks seem to be having some luck pushing it further). Again, you should ask the Opimus Slider folks how much, if any, they're typically able to overclock the Slider. I overclock my Optimus S at 806MHz, no problem. Many people do. Some people can't. It depends on how they made that batch of CPUs. Most people seem to be able to OC at 787MHz - 806MHz.

3) I don't know much about the Optimus Slider, but the Optimus S seems to be more popular and therefore have better ROM support-- including some ICS & JB ROMs. I haven't tried the ICS or JB ROMs yet. (I'm still on Gingerbread-based DanteROM).

I'm not a fan of sliders because of their bulk and frailty.

Tough decision. Good luck!

siryoink

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ended up going with the Optimus S. After looking around, there's sooo much support for this phone on this forum and elsewhere, but the slider seems to be stuck at Gingerbread and has almost nonexistant community support. Even with the slight speed bost the Slider has stock, I think I could do more with the S.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo