Methods known to fix SD card issue/problem - mounting, unmounting

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I put a 16gig class 2 sdhc card in the day I got the phone (after following basketthis's solution for the stock card) and have not had any problems at all. That being said, I only put that card in because it's what I had around the house. If I were to buy a card today, I wouldn't get anything lower than a class 6 given the low prices of the cards nowadays. If i wasn't gray already, I'd be turning gray waiting around for music to copy to my class 2 card from my computer.

I also replaced the stock card with a spare PNY 2gig class 2 (I am assuming a C2 since there was no labeling on it) from a Samsung Seek. I formatted it on the pc and then copied my data over to it and this has resolved the issue for 5 days now! Thank you Basketthis! p.s. I just ordered a Patriot 16gig C4 drive and will post results, but I think the key is to get a quality card. Funny, I wake up everyday and smile when I see all my apps are still there...

kenny70452

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
We upgraded our phones (3) to the Optimus S. Two of them had the sd card and freezing problem. Took them back after 10 days and got new ones. So far so good. The third one (mine) didn't have the problem however I rooted and put ThundeRom on it (thanks thunderom folks). Stock cards on all three. On the two we exchanged, we tried the suggestions above. Stopped the freezing but still had the sd card issue.
Thanks to all that make the forum so great.

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Bought two phones. Only one had issue. Replaced problematic 2Gb card with cheap 8Gb, class 2 card from Microcenter. Problem solved. P.S. Didn't do any fancy formatting. Just popped new card in phone and let phone handle it.

gvc

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I read this in the optimus user manual:

"DO NOT use your computer to change or edit folder
or file names on the microSD card, and do not
attempt to transfer large amounts of data from the
computer to the microSD card. Doing so may cause
the microSD card to fail."

So, when replacing the SD card that comes preloaded on a new optimus, is it best to format the new card on the phone itself? does that create all the necessary folder names automatically? and then transfer any data stored on the PC to the card while its still in the phone? if there is a huge amount of music files or whatever to be transferred, is it best to do so connecting the sd card directly to the PC using an adapter to prevent the "sd card to fail" as the manual states?

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
SD Card issues

After testing the stock ROM for three weeks, without any modifications, with a 8GB Class 2 SD Card, I received not a single issue with the SD card.

I did this, because I started having issues with ThundeRom with that same card on another Optimus S. Although he had never noticed the card eject itself. He did notice that all the apps that were moved to the sd card via a2sd in ThunderRom, would lose their icon, change back to the default icon of android, and remove themselves from the App drawer. The only fix to this was a reboot.

Now after flashing ThundeRom back onto my phone and using his card since he turned it over to me to test with, same problem returned with in 48 hours, and now the SD card ejects itself on it's own.

Are we sure this is not tied to a2sd? I guess it could have been a coincidence that it had not a single error in three weeks, but I don't believe in those that often.

Stock OS w/ Xionia Kernel (005)= no SD card issues, even with the apps that froyo allowed to be moved to the sd card. 768 MHz.

ThundeRom v1.5 w/Xionia Kernel (005)= At least one problem in any given 24hr. period, thus far. 768MHz.

I have not checked out nRom, as I am unaware if Nick uses a2sd in his ROM.

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Beezy and KSmith say do not use app2sd under any version of ThundeROM. Refer to the TundeROM thread, especially the most recent entries after he release of v.1.6.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't using app2sd

Beezy and KSmith say do not use app2sd under any version of ThundeROM. Refer to the TundeROM thread, especially the most recent entries after he release of v.1.6.

I was not using app2sd from the market. I only referenced ThundeRom using a2sd, because Titanium Backup was telling me it was.

I figured out my issue was that my card was set up through the recovery, which partitions into three partitions, 32mb swap, 512 ext4(the problem), and the remainder FAT32.

I copied everything out of FAT32, deleted all partitions and reformatted card as FAT32, copied back old contents of FAT32. Problem fixed.

But that still makes some sort of point. The same partitioned card did not have an issue with the stock Rom. I assume that means that the stock Rom was not attempting to use anything like ext2,3,4 or the swap. That would also draw me to the conclusion that somehow ThundeRom was trying to.

Someguy420

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm having this problem with my optimus I was looking at the sprint forums and thought buying a new card would fix it but I'm having the same problems again. I've already put the card in my phone can I still make it work or do I need to buy a new one?

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I originally ran an 8GB Class 4 card in my Optimus S as soon as I got it.

I upgraded to a 16GB Class 6 card from NewEgg for $30

Have never had any kind of SD card issues / bad mounts / failures.

Stay away from Class 2 if at all possible - Class 4 or Class 6 if you can!

I have always had my cards formatted Fat-32

Best thing to do as soon as you get a new card - re-format it on a Windows machine.

Do a long-format - Fat-32 - it'll wipe and verify the whole card.

Or - if you want EXT2/3/4 - download GPartEd and burn it to a CD - then use that to format/partition.

Warlord721

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Had a Class 2 8GB Sandisk I put in my Optimus the day I got it Nov30 '10. Worked great no problems. Rooted/cust recovery/Stockrom wasn't app heavy...

Then today... I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was rebooting on it own, when it came back up it said my SD card was damaged and to reformat, won't read in any PC, gone everything gone, pics etc... Hard lesson to learn on backin' up, and I preach it to so many others too.... :(

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Had a Class 2 8GB Sandisk I put in my Optimus the day I got it Nov30 '10. Worked great no problems. Rooted/cust recovery/Stockrom wasn't app heavy...

Then today... I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was rebooting on it own, when it came back up it said my SD card was damaged and to reformat, won't read in any PC, gone everything gone, pics etc... Hard lesson to learn on backin' up, and I preach it to so many others too.... :(

I'm pretty sure there's a program for windows machines that can try to identity the bad sector and repair it which may save your data. Forgive me for not knowing any other details like name or anything but I've seen if referenced before for trying to save data off a corrupted card. Might be worth spending some google time trying to figure out.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
just installed the 16gb Sandisk on sale from Amazon for 21 bucks!
didn't have to do anything unusual, it just works.

this is under windows xp pro. however I've yet to get drivers that work under windows 7 x64 Ultimate. big fail. in search of solution

Warlord721

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there's a program for windows machines that can try to identity the bad sector and repair it which may save your data. Forgive me for not knowing any other details like name or anything but I've seen if referenced before for trying to save data off a corrupted card. Might be worth spending some google time trying to figure out.

Well spent the afternoon googlin' and came up with nothing. Tried dozen diff programs, but I guess the card is toast.

Windows will not recognize its existence no matter what. And the phone just says its damaged and to format. Which after a while, i eventually tried, and doesn't do anything... I hope it was just the card went bad and not phone that killed it....

sGILz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Mounting Problem Resolved after trying everything else

Finally got my wife's LG Opitmus M to be recognized. After a couple of days of research and buying new SD Memory as mentioned in earlier posts. The results all were the same. My wifes LG Optimus M would not recognize that there was a SD Micro Card Installed. Having a 16 GB SD Micro on my BlackBerry, I popped it out to take a closer look to see if there was any physical difference between the 4GB SD Micro and the 16GB SD Micro Card. Physically they looked the same with no differnces between the two. But when I went to pick up the 16GB Card it just felt different. Different as in it felt like it was constructed better more rigid. Then it dawned on me that maybe the reason why such a high success rate specifically to the 16GB SD MIcro card other then the speed could be because it is thicker and therefore tighter fit, making better contact with the SD Micro contact leads on the phone. I took a small piece of paper that I tore off from a Magazine. Folded it a few times until it was just a litte smaller then the SD Micro Card. Placed this piece of paper on top of the card and then brought down the securing SD Micro Chip Holder and locked it into place as you would normally to keep the SD Micro Card secured to the card reader. Viola it worked.

I wold be curious to hear back from those that had the same issues with the device not recognizing the card perform the same fix that I have mentioned above, and let me know if it also worked for you. Please make sure that you are using at Least a 4GB SD Micro Card rated at 4 on the Speed as this is the card that I used.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This issue is fixed on the optimus S as of the VC software release. It was an issue with the code and low class cards. After VC, even the cheapie card the phone comes with stays mounted.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
VC update

This issue is fixed on the optimus S as of the VC software release. It was an issue with the code and low class cards. After VC, even the cheapie card the phone comes with stays mounted.

I have been using the original card that came with the phone, but after the VC update is when my started to mess up. It worked perfect before then, but every now and then since the update it will tall me it is safe to remove the SD or it tells me there is no card. weird.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The problem I am experiencing is a little different. When I got the phone in January, I replaced the OEM card with a SanDisk 8 GB Class 4 card. It worked perfectly until the VC update. After the update, now occasionally the apps that are moved to the SD card show up as the generic Android icon and if I tap them, nothing happens. Unmounting and then mounting the card from the Settings menu fixes the problem and the proper icons appear. Go figure.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The problem I am experiencing is a little different. When I got the phone in January, I replaced the OEM card with a SanDisk 8 GB Class 4 card. It worked perfectly until the VC update. After the update, now occasionally the apps that are moved to the SD card show up as the generic Android icon and if I tap them, nothing happens. Unmounting and then mounting the card from the Settings menu fixes the problem and the proper icons appear. Go figure.

There's a app called SDRescan out there that might help you do the same thing without having to pull the card.