Verizon gets marshmallow tomorrow... (Update: It is out now!)

tripsnirvana

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Marshmallow for the past one month and I am loving the updated features. The issues of upgrading is the heavy battery usage but with constant tweaking you can control your battery drain.

BrettFavor

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The reason your phone might seem sluggish at first and use more battery life is when you updated the Operating System it reset your cache. After about a week the system will have re-learned your usage patterns. Then you will start to notice the benefits of Marshmallow especially in battery life and with the fingerprint scanner (it's now using the Android driver instead of having to use the LG one).

To avoid Verizon adding bloatware during the update disable the program called DT Ignite. It is basically malware carriers put on phones to allow them to install unwanted bloatware apps after you get your phone without your permission (sometimes without even your knowledge). These apps cannot be uninstalled and some can't even be disabled which might be one of the reasons some people are getting worse battery life.

So find DT Ignite in your application settings and disable it immediately. It won't prevent the Marshmallow or even security updates just crap that you won't want or need that cannot be uninstalled or disabled later.

Run a search on DT Ignite for more information or if you doubt me. You're welcome.

Marshmallow is much better than the previous Operating System. It won't look much different, but Doze, Google on Tap, the ability to control app permissions, and the FPS drivers are great improvements. If your phone isn't getting pretty significant better battery life after a week using Marshmallow then something is wrong with your phone because it's not Marshmallow.

Also the Nova Prime double tap problem is a known issue they're working on. I would submit a complaint with them anyway. The more people who complain the faster it will get fixed. Nova Launcher is constantly adding new fixes and features, but the ones with the most complaints or interest get worked on first.

SevereDeceit

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're having issues with Google syncing your contacts, calendar, Gmail, what I do is go to Accounts and delete your Google account. Then I open the Play Store app and it will ask you for your Gmail account info. Once you enter your Gmail address and password everything will start syncing again. Then go back to Accounts and tap on your Google account and check to make sure it did.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
If you're having issues with Google syncing your contacts, calendar, Gmail, what I do is go to Accounts and delete your Google account. Then I open the Play Store app and it will ask you for your Gmail account info. Once you enter your Gmail address and password everything will start syncing again. Then go back to Accounts and tap on your Google account and check to make sure it did.

Wtf I just did it and lost 80% of contacts more !!! No clue what to do now.

Update - phew, now adding back (syncing) few to a dozen contacts at a time...
Kinda stopped after 10min but I still have around 400 contacts missing. Among which are favorites (family)

My battery is still horrible so I might end up doing factory reset after all. Stand by mode - 2-3% per hour and when in use - just lost 15 percent in the last 45 min! All I was doing was going trough settings and did that sync.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

Last edited:

doctord23

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Losing the corrupted LG backup file didn't turn out that bad.
A good portion of my data was backed up on Verizon Cloud (messages, contacts, etc.) and I had set Google Backup to backup my app data. The data gets reset when you reload the apps. I had backed up my launcher settings too.
Other than having to reload all apps and setup accounts, I didn't lose a lot of data and gained a snappier running phone. Leaner too without a bunch of unneeded apps.

doctord23

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Update:
The first overnight after my factory reset, the morning battery percentage was higher (91% at 11 hours in) than it had ever been on lollipop and much higher than before the reset.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Update:
The first overnight after my factory reset, the morning battery percentage was higher (91% at 11 hours in) than it had ever been on lollipop and much higher than before the reset.

Last night left it at 100 and 7 hours later was at 45% ! Still hoping to skip e factory reset, but given its only getting worse (some suggested to give it time) it seems impossible

VZW Moto X DE/N7

doctord23

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've ever done a factory reset. When you do that, do you have to setup your email accounts and other stuff again?

You can do a complete backup to the SD card via LG Backup or another method and restore after your reset. My issue was that the backup file was corrupted, so I had to add the accounts back in. I had most of my other information backed up through Verizon Cloud. My suggestion is to do multiple backup before you rest it.
After a rest, the phone will reboot as if it was fresh out of the box.

doctord23

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Last night left it at 100 and 7 hours later was at 45% ! Still hoping to skip e factory reset, but given its only getting worse (some suggested to give it time) it seems impossible

VZW Moto X DE/N7

I was seeing a similar result. Prior to MM, I would be at low 80's in the morning. After the update, I was high 50's, low 60's. I only have one night after the rest, but it looks promising.

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
You can do a complete backup to the SD card via LG Backup or another method and restore after your reset. My issue was that the backup file was corrupted, so I had to add the accounts back in. I had most of my other information backed up through Verizon Cloud. My suggestion is to do multiple backup before you rest it.
After a rest, the phone will reboot as if it was fresh out of the box.

Previously I had the Samsung Note 3, Note 4, and S6 Edge+ and everytime I had to do a reset I had to completely setup the phone again. There has got to be an easier way. I have a way to backup and restore all my texts but setting up all my accounts in Nine (best email client out there) and other stuff can be a pain. I just switched to Verizon and the V10 about a month ago so if there is an easy way to do what we need I'm all for it.

kirnkorner2001

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Plugging overnight significantly affects the life span of battery cells and given how crazy fast is the charging it's totally unnecessary to do it.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

I've been plugging my phones in overnight for years. Never had a problem with the battery since they all switched over to lithium ion. Nickel cadmium on the other hand you had to be careful with. But given that I have upgraded every 2 years pretty consistently, it's never been a problem. I'd rather have a full charge to start the day, use the phone how I want all day, then plug in at night.

Besides my Tasker "night' profile to silence the phone automatically requires the phone to be plugged in, but that's a whole other thing :)