Spare batteries

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have three OEM batteries that I interchange through out the day. I have noticed that the spare batteries in my bag although fully charged when placed in the bag in or out of the charging cradle will sometimes loose juice. For instance I've had a battery out of the cradle that had been charged placed in my bag for 2 days when I put it in the phone it reads 16%. This has happened numerous times. Will these batteries discharge if left alone?

Posted via the Android Central App

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Lithium batteries don't discharge that fast. Certainly not drain after 2 days. We're the batteries stored in a hot area? Left in the sun? If not I can only imagine either they weren't charged fully by the charger or the batteries are going bad. Try charging battery in your phone. Once it's 100 percent take it out and store it. If the same battery holds charge fine after a few days then your charge cradle is bad. If they still lose charge than your Batts are bad I believe.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Two of my cells are almost brand new still, like barely 3-4 charge top offs on each and neither of them have been deep-discharged. The original battery has only been in use since January 2016, and it too has never been deep cycled. FWIW... all mine remain at 100% for 2-3 days between charges or use.

IIRC some members were having troubles with the phone "remembering" a depleted battery charge level, and not re-booting upon power down and battery replacement. I can't remember the work around for this though.

A simple way to check is to meter them. Mine measure ~4.35 Volts either fresh off the charger or out of the phone.

Are you storing the cell in the charger? You shouldn't do that. Some charge circuits will slowly discharge a battery if its left in the cradle and no power is connected. I am not certain about the LG charger though.

Healthy Lithium cells should not self-discharge that fast though.

Last edited:

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
One way to see if it's phone showing bad percentage or if battery is depleted. If you got a Multimeter check voltage. Fully charged should read about 4.2v. If it's truly at 16 percent it'll read around 3.7 or 3.6v

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
One way to see if it's phone showing bad percentage or if battery is depleted. If you got a Multimeter check voltage. Fully charged should read about 4.2v. If it's truly at 16 percent it'll read around 3.7 or 3.6v

My cells measure 4.35V on a fluke 179, do you think thats excessive?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I have had that happen with my old samsung batteries. But that's the thing, they've started discharging in the way you've described only after 2 and a half / three years of use..

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As for me....I have one extra battery and a charging cradle. I only swap out my battery about once a month or so. When I do, I always fully charge the removed battery and place it in the plastic case that came with the extra battery kit. The battery that was stored in the plastic case usually has about 95-96% when I put it in the phone. So over the month or so of being stored in the plastic case, it only loses about 4-5% charge.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Just got back and gonna put a volt meter to my batteries. Thanks again

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just did a test both of my batteries that have been sitting up for 3 days they read 4.23 volts. When I place them in the phone the phone read 26% battery. It appears to be the phone not the charging cradles. I took the phone battery out and replaced it the phone then read 100%. It seems to be something in the phone's software my battery chargers are working correctly.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Are you following this sequence?:
>Unplug USB cable (leave it unplugged)
>Fully power down phone (wait for it as needed)
>remove depleted battery
>insert charged battery
>power phone back on

It should register 95-100%

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you following this sequence?:
>Unplug USB cable (leave it unplugged)
>Fully power down phone (wait for it as needed)
>remove depleted battery
>insert charged battery
>power phone back on

It should register 95-100%

Yes except for the USB cable don't quite follow

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
No problems with my phone and spare battery as mentioned. As time goes on and the battery health diminishes I will see percentage in the high 90% range like on my Note Edge I had before this V10 and pretty much all the other phones I've had with spare batteries. I just leave the spare in the charger itself unless I really need to have the spare with me take as little pocket space as possible.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
These batteries are only months old. Only got the phone in December I shouldn't see any loss this early. But the good thing when the battery goes I just buy another.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
These batteries are only months old. Only got the phone in December I shouldn't see any loss this early. But the good thing when the battery goes I just buy another.

Did you try the sequence I listed above... but with the USB cable removed? I am pretty sure the phone needs a complete power interrupt to re-set the battery monitor processor.

FWIW, I let two batteries sit for a week charged one of which is the original that I have had since December. Both battery voltages measured 4.32V.

Last edited:

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have three OEM batteries that I interchange through out the day. I have noticed that the spare batteries in my bag although fully charged when placed in the bag in or out of the charging cradle will sometimes loose juice. For instance I've had a battery out of the cradle that had been charged placed in my bag for 2 days when I put it in the phone it reads 16%. This has happened numerous times. Will these batteries discharge if left alone?

I think I may have found the cause/solution. When you swap batteries, pause for 3-5 seconds before installing the charged battery. If you go too fast, the phone doesn't recognize you changed the battery, so it shows low. I have known this to be repeatable in my experience. If I swap too fast, the phone shows low percentage, but if I wait, it shows 100% every time.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
As for me....I have one extra battery and a charging cradle. I only swap out my battery about once a month or so. When I do, I always fully charge the removed battery and place it in the plastic case that came with the extra battery kit. The battery that was stored in the plastic case usually has about 95-96% when I put it in the phone. So over the month or so of being stored in the plastic case, it only loses about 4-5% charge.

FWIW, I store my battery in the charger when it's done charging, as my battery did not come with a protective case. I don't experience any significant battery drain over the long term doing this.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I store my battery in the charger when it's done charging, as my battery did not come with a protective case. I don't experience any significant battery drain over the long term doing this.

Cool deal!! I will have to look into doing that as well. I don't have a storage case either.