LG V20 and Removable Batteries

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like everyone moved on to the future with sealed batteries that charge wirelessly.. honestly I had the S6 and wireless charging is very slow, and also dangerous cause it overheats the battery causing it to degrade overtime. And it's not actually all that convenient, you HAVE to place it down exactly on the right spot otherwise it won't work. Also, it's not actually wireless, you're still plugging in the pad to the wall. With the V20, I pop the back battery door open, and swap in a freshly charged battery. Then I charge the used battery in the charging cradle then walk away. It's fully charged by the time I need it, then I switch it out again. Never interrupted when I'm busy on my phone, I don't have to wait. Zero to 100, very simply done. Phone still manages to look nice and have excellent build quality. If I'm in my car, I have quick charge 3.0 and it charges fast. Anyone else feel like they are the last kind of person still swapping batteries? The V20 was why I left Samsung in the first place, felt like I was limited.

Attachments

• lg_v20_open_battery_operation-100680991-orig.jpg
    lg_v20_open_battery_operation-100680991-orig.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 279

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A touch of nostalgia here... Sadly...

I'm going to laugh at everyone when one day they decide to bring removable batteries back and call it an innovative feature... Probably not though because if people could replace batteries, then there's no need to buy a new phone.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Mate, I'm with you all the way, give me a fat plastic phone with replaceable battery any day.. I hate these precious fragile devices. I loved the fact that when the older ones misbehaved, I just pulled the battery...

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
In all my years owning mobile phones I've never once carried or felt the need to carry a spare battery to swap out. I just put the phone on charge everytime I'm near a charger so I never get in the position of running out. The last android I owned that had a replaceable battery was my LG G5 with horrible battery life and even now I carry a Lumia 950xl alongside my s8+ for work and I don't even consider a spare battery for it. It's just one more thing to carry

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
G3 >

Wireless charging + removable battery = most convenience

And I don't understand the whole "wireless charging is slow" argument. It's not meant to be fast. It's a convenience that keeps your battery topped off. If you're placing your phone down, you might as well place it on top of a wireless charger (finding the "right spot" isn't hard).

I've been keeping my phone plugged in at my desk lately so I haven't needed to swap batteries out often like I used to. I'd rather have wireless charging capabilities, though.

nickdaman

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
My Main battery I got with my LG G4 back in December of 2015 has been acting up losing power quickly so what did I do pulled out my spare battery and booya back to normal battery operations again. So I still have the original battery as a backup if needed but I've never bought a sealed battery phone due to battery concerns and have to take it to a tech center for battery replace or ship it out somewhere to get a battery fixed up.

I just picked up a brand new LG V20 last week but just haven't had time to transfer everything over to it just yet. But definitely making sure I have some backup phones with a removable battery if the future V30 loses this feature.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That's one advantage I have to admit to. Batteries deteriorate over time and when it's time to replace it with a new one at least you don't need to pay a fortune and have a repair shop replace it for you

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Every time I've tried a sealed Narei phone, I've had issues with the battery, or at least battery related. When the battery itself is the problem, a sealed phone will do you no favors.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't swap batteries so I don't really care much about having a removable battery. I also don't worry about battery degradation because I get a new phone every 8 to 10 months. With that said, I do pull the back cover and pull the battery about once a week or so just to kind of reset things. I do like that aspect.

I have heard about the problems with the S8 breaking easily. The phone is almost completely glass so it's not surprising but this glass seems even more fragile than the S7 and S6.

My biggest concern is that I'm almost certain that we will lose the IR Blaster on the V30. I really like having this feature and it annoys me that all of my Android phones had this feature up until the S7 Edge. I hate it when they take features away.

I guess I would kind of like to see wireless charging on the V30 but I agree that it is very finicky. There were so many times when I grabbed my S7 Edge in the morning and found it almost dead because I had not placed it perfectly on the charge pad. It was very inconsistent. It's really just a gimmick.

I would like to see them add waterproofing. We know this can be done with a removable back cover as was seen in the S5. If they keep the removable battery, I hope they keep the metal back plate. Plastic makes the phone feel kind of cheap.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Much easier to deal with occasional glitch, just pull battery. One downside is can't be waterproof. Unless there is way I am unaware of.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm right the with you. I have 2 charging kits so i never actually plug my phone in. If I'm leaving the house and the battery is at 40%, i just swap out out for a fresh one. It really does feel like having unlimited battery life. Another positive is that the usb c port will never wear out.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
For me, if one plans on keeping a device for more than a year, removable battery is a must. As it has been said, batteries die over time.
As for waterproofing, LG could go along the line of the G5 and only need a flexible seal in a small area. It can be done.
The second argument for removable battery is, as been noted, when one needs to reset your device. Pulling the battery is a sure reset.

I for one, want a removable battery, I do not need one most of the time. It adds value to my device (phone).

Lateck,

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In all my years owning mobile phones I've never once carried or felt the need to carry a spare battery to swap out. I just put the phone on charge everytime I'm near a charger so I never get in the position of running out. The last android I owned that had a replaceable battery was my LG G5 with horrible battery life and even now I carry a Lumia 950xl alongside my s8+ for work and I don't even consider a spare battery for it. It's just one more thing to carry

You don't have to bring it anywhere. It's just the convenience of switching it out in 15 seconds you're good to go. Just like reloading a rifle. Imagine if you're in a battle and have to charge your rifle. Not very good. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone then I have to leave for work or go out with friends. I don't wanna be bringing my wall charger with me to charge it at the nearest outlet I see or bring a huge external charger. Just tell my friends to wait 10 seconds and I'll be out! My friends end up all having dead batteries and I'm the only one with 100%!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
G3 >

Wireless charging + removable battery = most convenience

And I don't understand the whole "wireless charging is slow" argument. It's not meant to be fast. It's a convenience that keeps your battery topped off. If you're placing your phone down, you might as well place it on top of a wireless charger (finding the "right spot" isn't hard).

I've been keeping my phone plugged in at my desk lately so I haven't needed to swap batteries out often like I used to. I'd rather have wireless charging capabilities, though.

There is a mod to add wireless charging to any phone that has a removable back. That's the beauty of removable back phones. But why wait to wirelessly charge when you can get 100% in seconds?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My Main battery I got with my LG G4 back in December of 2015 has been acting up losing power quickly so what did I do pulled out my spare battery and booya back to normal battery operations again. So I still have the original battery as a backup if needed but I've never bought a sealed battery phone due to battery concerns and have to take it to a tech center for battery replace or ship it out somewhere to get a battery fixed up.

I just picked up a brand new LG V20 last week but just haven't had time to transfer everything over to it just yet. But definitely making sure I have some backup phones with a removable battery if the future V30 loses this feature.

I agree with the back up phone idea. My last S6 Active had a very weak battery (probably due to wireless charging) but I had no other option but to deal with it. The V20 makes me feel better knowing I can have a device that's reliable if anything ever happens to the battery, I just need to pay a few bucks for battery and I'm good to go!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's one advantage I have to admit to. Batteries deteriorate over time and when it's time to replace it with a new one at least you don't need to pay a fortune and have a repair shop replace it for you

I was thinking about having my S6 Active battery replaced but the cost and hassle to replace it wasn't worth it. I would have loved to keep that phone for a longer period of time if I was able to.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There is a mod to add wireless charging to any phone that has a removable back. That's the beauty of removable back phones. But why wait to wirelessly charge when you can get 100% in seconds?
One, that mod that adds wireless charging is not ideal for most people. Built in wireless charging is what we want, not some bulky mod that takes over your charging/data port and has to stick out and has to be tucked into a case. It's a band-aid and not a very good one.

Two, you really just don't understand wireless charging, do you? Wireless charging isn't meant to be fast. It's meant to convenient. You aren't meant to leave your phone on a wireless charger for hours to get a 100% charge (unless you're charging over night). If every time I set my phone down and it started slowly charging, I don't need to swap batteries because my battery stays topped off because of constantly draining and all I did was set my phone on my desk.

If every time you stopped using your phone, it started charging, then you aren't worrying about having to plug in or swap a battery out.