This is a great phone...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is the V20 the best phone you've ever had?

For me was the Nexus 6p and the original Moto x.

Kind of regret buying the v20, I'm a stock Android fan and can't accept a phone of these specs to lag when opening notifications tray or apps overview.

I still have my 6p and my phone doesn't lag with anything I can do with it. I disabled the quick memo to, along with the other Sprint bloat with the package disabler app.

The only thing that the 6p has that I wished this v20 had is the speakers. Everything else is so much better now.

The battery on this phone is very much better than my 6p and 7.1.2 on it caused way too many issues.

To each his own I guess..

Mac

I run Nova Prime and have it looking like I like it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I go scouting and hunting my radio is with me. Our fm choices around here are extremely clear and we have a great variety of of different styles of music and programming.

Having good cell service is not possible at all times and since I don't road hunt, getting off the beaten path is my only way to do this.

Wither someone uses the FM radio or not isn't the point of contention, but rather it's better to have it when you need it, than needing it but not having it. It's not taking up any space to speak of, nor slowing the phone down. To purposely remove it just so you have to stream is flat out wrong..... Just like the removable battery... Not all utilize like I do. Just like the SD card or any other thing...

The people who only stream their stuff have to remember this.

Mac

What station do the bucks like?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I get your whole "I would rather have it then not have it" idea and that works for you but .. not for me. I am not going to require an FM radio in a phone in order to buy it. You may differ .. and yes having it isn't a negative. I am just saying it isn't a buying factor. I am not saying something like "I wouldn't buy it if it had it" -- Just saying not a staple feature for me.

I get the hunting thing -- I have friends who hunt as well... But if I went I would just listen to music off of my phone versus FM radio. While I do stream a lot of my videos I currently have all of my playlists downloaded to my phone so I don't have to stream. I simply just have huge playlists on Google Play Music and tap the PIN icon.

I agree, the FM radio is not a big deal for me. Had one on the droid X and tried it once to see how it worked. After an update to Ginger Bread it was gone.
The other feature I don't get the true value of is the IR blaster. I would rather use my remote. It is good in a pinch, or to prank people but if its a missing feature so be it. Then there's all the fuss about notification lights. I can take it or leave it.
That's not to say that these features aren't important, just not important to me. Same as some of the features I don't want live without might not matter to someone else.
Thank heaven for choices.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

For me was the Nexus 6p and the original Moto x.

Kind of regret buying the v20, I'm a stock Android fan and can't accept a phone of these specs to lag when opening notifications tray or apps overview.

Must be something hogging your resources. I don't see any lag unless the phone is doing some intensive stuff at the same time. That why I turn off auto updates.

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Must be something hogging your resources. I don't see any lag unless the phone is doing some intensive stuff at the same time. That why I turn off auto updates.
Exactly, app updates makes everything lag. And this should never happen on this device. You shouldn't need to disable auto updates.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Exactly, app updates makes everything lag. And this should never happen on this device. You shouldn't need to disable auto updates.
I didn't say that auto update causes lag on my phone by itself. When I'm streaming and navigating at the same time, auto updates can mess with you in more ways then one.

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

I didn't say that auto update causes lag on my phone by itself. When I'm streaming and navigating at the same time, auto updates can mess with you in more ways then one.
I see. Probably there is something on my side but I got many hiccups when opening the navigation drawer without appearent reason.

Sometime soon I will factory reset and see how it goes.
But I believe everyone agrees that LG software is nor amongst the most optimized or most lightweight.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I see. Probably there is something on my side but I got many hiccups when opening the navigation drawer without appearent reason.

But I believe everyone agrees that LG software is nor amongst the most optimized or most lightweight.
What launcher are you using?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

It's not the most optimized for sure but I have used far worse. As to it's weight... I have always skinned what I am using(custom ROM/theme ) or if stock just use Nova Prime with add ons.. I don't use stock messaging apps or browser so I can set them up the way I want it too.

I'm not a fan of of bare bones asop, if that's what you are comparing it to, Asop is unappealing to me and I like features, unless of course they bog down the system..then I'll disable what I don't want with the app Package Disabler and call it a day..

People get to hung up on wither LG's ui is super duper screaming fast, but I have never had a reason to get upset about it. I'm old school and usually close everything on exiting it, but can have as many as 10 apps open on a occasion..

To my usage it's a great phone and very easy to use.. I just played around with my wife's s8... Sheese.. I've got some serious tweaks to get hers like mine... and I doubt I'll be able to.. That's a phone I am glad I didn't get..

Mac

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not the most optimized for sure but I have used far worse. As to it's weight... I have always skinned what I am using(custom ROM/theme ) or if stock just use Nova Prime with add ons.. I don't use stock messaging apps or browser so I can set them up the way I want it too.

I'm not a fan of of bare bones asop, if that's what you are comparing it to, Asop is unappealing to me and I like features, unless of course they bog down the system..then I'll disable what I don't want with the app Package Disabler and call it a day..

People get to hung up on wither LG's ui is super duper screaming fast, but I have never had a reason to get upset about it. I'm old school and usually close everything on exiting it, but can have as many as 10 apps open on a occasion..

To my usage it's a great phone and very easy to use.. I just played around with my wife's s8... Sheese.. I've got some serious tweaks to get hers like mine... and I doubt I'll be able to.. That's a phone I am glad I didn't get..

Mac
If I could unlock my phone's bootloader I would call this device awesome. But I can't even root because LG released the unlocking tool just for some variations of the v20.
This is the main reason I am so upset with this device and LG.

Honestly I don't see myself buying another LG device anytime soon. This is a incomprehensible decision from LG.

I really love this device hardware, only things I miss from the Nexus are software and front facing stereo speakers.

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
OMG. Just checked the XDA thread that had a bounty for unlocking the bootloader and they actually made it!

This changes a lot this device for me! 😁

Seems I already have something to do this weekend.

Probably there aren't custom ROMs yet.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow

Just looking back here at some of my older post about the v20 this morning.

All of this is still so true for me and how I feel about it.

I've used a couple of phones for a short period from then till now and haven't found anything remotely close to the v20 that I would switch to.

For the $650 I paid for it, I consider it the best phone for the money spent.

I was asked " Why in the world would I want to get another v20 when there are way newer and better phones out now" while waiting for my replacement to get back... So I really started looking at what was out there and putting my hands on as many different phones as possible.

I couldn't find anything that swayed me, though a couple did have me going back for a second look. Even my wife asked me if I wanted one of the newer notes that I used to love so much, and I really couldn't justify spending that much.

I used to change phones every year, along with rooting them and using custom roms, but I haven't even wanted to do this with this phone. There really isn't a need to anymore being honest IMHO.

I have absolutely no idea how long this new v20 will last but I am certainly glad to have it to use for now. It really was a underrated phone.. and still is.