Determining factor on upgrading to the LG V40

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I already know this. I know about all the differences between devices as I've owned both the V10 and V20 so I'm very aware of the compromises and advantages of each.

They are in completely different sides of the spectrum. LG has the better hardware and better design. Google has the better software and faster updates. The Google hardware is likely made by LG. It's a trade-off.

The other choices are the older V30 or G7, One Plus, Huawei, Samsung, Pocophone, Xiaomi, HTC, Motorola (AKA Lenovo), Sony, Asus, Razor phone (gaming brand)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It would happen with LG devices though. Trust me. But those two videos they don't mention it. Neither does this one.

https://youtu.be/Rcxt3OWDMjA

They are pre-production units. The final version has not been completed yet, it's in the process of final tweaking. The preview units are specially made for YouTube reviewers to promote the phone, but it's not fully complete, that's why they're not allowed to do a full review yet. I've seen pre-production sample phones before, sometimes they have a special model number or serial code on it and a "not for resale" logo on it, not the same as the final version. The software engineers are working overtime to complete the final software by the due date, finding bugs, errors, and other flaws.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
They are pre-production units. The final version has not been completed yet, it's in the process of final tweaking. The preview units are specially made for YouTube reviewers to promote the phone, but it's not fully complete, that's why they're not allowed to do a full review yet. I've seen pre-production sample phones before, sometimes they have a special model number or serial code on it and a "not for resale" logo on it, not the same as the final version. The software engineers are working overtime to complete the final software by the due date, finding bugs, errors, and other flaws.
I see now. You are correct.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
The determinating factor for me will be more onboard storage. 64 is last year's flagship. And for the almost $1K price storage should be the same as Apple or Samsung's flagship.
I would love a 256 but would buy a 128GB model.
My V30 is rocking quit well, so I can wait. But, I love the 3 camera idea!

Lateck,

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The determinating factor for me will be more onboard storage. 64 is last year's flagship. And for the almost $1K price storage should be the same as Apple or Samsung's flagship.
I would love a 256 but would buy a 128GB model.
My V30 is rocking quit well, so I can wait. But, I love the 3 camera idea!

Lateck,
Well as far as I know they only have a 64gb storage option. And for $1k Apple does start with 64gb with no sd card expansion so keep that in mind as far as comparisons go.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess the determining factor for me would be my V20 died (though I do have extended warranty) and they offered the V40 for about $500 and included credit for a free battery replacement and at least one glass body damage repair.

I know, unrealistic, but that's about what it would take for me to get seriously interested in it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's the Pixel 3. Extremely ugly and not really exciting (compared to all other flagships), single camera still and only 4GB RAM. There's absolutely no question about "Do I need a wide angle camera?" YES, I do need it! I've shot at least half my photos with the wide angle, especially group photos and landscape shots.

https://youtu.be/xyrs6Ore25s

Looks like the Pixel 3 will use dual front cameras like the V40 but only a single rear. Plus again, no headphone jack or micro SD.. which I've used every single day for the past decade. Google has good, yet basic software/hardware. If you use none of those features mentioned, then the Pixel 3 might be best for you. BTW the GCam will likely be ported over to the V40, so the V40 will get the benefit of the Google camera software. Looks like the phone was made by LG yet again, just like the Pixel 2 XL, meaning the hardware is in fact LG, but different software.

You can get the Note 9, but keep in mind the thickness and weight compared to the V40, it's significantly heavier and thicker, which might be a problem for those who like minimal.

Pixel 3s are made by Foxconn... at least that has been what has been leaking out.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well as far as I know they only have a 64gb storage option. And for $1k Apple does start with 64gb with no sd card expansion so keep that in mind as far as comparisons go.

I don't want to step down in storage seeing as my V30+ has 128 gigs internal. Besides that there's just a lot to like about the V40, for me anyway.

I shall continue twiddling my thumbs waiting to check this phone out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The notch is horrendous and that's why I'm getting the smaller Pixel 3, if I get it. I can make a few changes for a great experience in a nice form factor which the Pixel 3 will have and V30 has. And I still have my V10 as a backup device or for the DAC but I could do just fine with a nice pair of premium over the ear headphones in the $300 range. But despite Qualcomm's claims the SD845 is power hungry and not as efficient as the SD835. All marketing talk.

I know the appearance is different but you realize that the Notch is just the Pixel 2XL bezel with the ends cutoff? Also if the ears bother you during youtube andvorher content you can pinch in to square it off.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I know the appearance is different but you realize that the Notch is just the Pixel 2XL bezel with the ends cutoff? Also if the ears bother you during youtube andvorher content you can pinch in to square it off.
True but that notch is unforgivable. LG, Apple, Asus, OnePlus and anyone else you can think of did the notch in a way more acceptable way than what Google did. I don't even mind it on the V40.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There's already an OTA ready for the V40. I look forward to reading how the the camera software/postprocessing has improved.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/lg-...e-camera-improvements-before-release_id109701

Here's a camera comparison with the Pixel 3. Honestly it looks good.. anything else can be easily fixed with a photo editing app.. don't understand why people are so lazy to do a simple color correction themselves! People think wow, the camera is great but don't realize that it's automatically enhanced via software. I think camera hardware wise, it's on par with the Pixel 3.

https://youtu.be/yczOmmW-Tg4

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well the initial reviews I'm seeing are mostly all indicating battery life, by today's standards, is average at best, disappointing. What good is an excellent camera if you are constantly monitoring your battery life?