Help with getting Text Message notifications.

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the OG Urbane 2ND Edition. I followed this guide ;

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...messages-att-lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edtiion.html

In order to be able to Call when away from my phone. It works really well. However when I am paired to my phone by Bluetooth it gets all my notification like snapchat, Gmail, etc. But it doesn't get any from The default SMS application (Messenger) nor from Verizons Messages+. Not even from Motorolas stock messaging app that came with my phone.

Because I used the method in said thread, the play audio through watch option is disabled and so is NumberSync(I don't care about that though.) The weird thing was that I had it working when I set it up the first but then had an issue that forced me to factory reset it.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
NumberSync must be deactivated. Disable it won't help. The watch must get the verification from the AT&T network that this feature is completely deactivated on the watch. You probably screwed up your AT&T account profile on AT&T network by factory resetting it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how. Call AT&T.

Besides, that option has nothing to do with your text message notification. It is only useful to get incoming phone call notifications when you don't use things like NumberSync or Message+

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Well something weird is happening now. I can get notifications from apps other than Googles Messenger. I can get it from Motorola Messaging app on the Droid Turbo, but not Messenger. And if I go to messenger on the watch none of my messages are there either.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Only ONE message app that is set to the default SMS app on your phone can receive text messages in real time. So, if you have more than one, make sure you picked the one you want and set as the default SMS app for that phone.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
This whole numbersyncing and messages+ stuff is all new to me. I'm not sure how it really works but I noticed that it works best when both smartphone and watch have good service. For two weeks, I had that option turned on and I had issues with getting calls and messages even when my smartphone was with me. This happened a lot at home where my service is less than ideal including wifi because I've been having issues with my router. A reboot would usually fix it but the problem will periodically come back. I am not sure why a data connection would be a factor when receiving calls and messages when both the watch and phone are together but that is what I have experienced.

So for now, I only turn on numbersyncing (I still use messages+ as my default) when I need to such as when I go running or go to the gym and leave my phone in the locker. I've had zero issues with that. I wish there will be an update where I can just leave it on all the time but for now it's not stable to do that.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
NumberSync is AT&T's feature that implements on its cellular network. When it is on, the calls and the messages to the phone number goes from AT&T cell network directly to your watch's cell radio, at the same time they goes to the phone. Think it as AT&T version of Google Voice. So, it is dependent solely on watch's cell service, not phone's. Verizon's implementation seems different.

The problem with current implementation of NumberSync on the watch is that it is too power hungry and not very user friendly, e.g. if you picked up the call on the phone, the watch has no idea and still thinks you missed a call. To me it is entirely useless. I'd prefer the call forwarding which works much more reliably and less power hungry.

You really don't need NumberSync for text message either. AW OS takes care of it via notification.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Foxbat for the info. I think I have a configuration that would best suit me and maybe the OP might find it more helpful.

Since you can use call forwarding to receive calls and AW OS handles text messages, the only advantage of having number sync on would be the ability to place calls from your smartwatch with your smartphone number and also being able to use wifi if you do not have cellular connectivity for calls. Which to me is all I really wanted but it wasn't a necessity. Yay!

OP- I have an ATT 2nd edition with a VZW note 5. I forget which one you have. I don't know if this will work with a VZW version and a VZW phone

I've turn on my cellular connectivity with accounts turned on and watch shares phone number for calls and text are off. If I want, I can turn on call forwarding on my phone too but I'm not sure if that will really help with battery but it might make it more reliable.

With that configuration, in standalone mode my incoming and outgoing calls are covered and also my text messages via cloudsync. This allows me to delete VZW messages+ from my phone and watch and use google messenger as my default messeging app which is a huge plus for me. Also, this configuration allows me to keep my "play phone audio on watch" option active. I find having that option available and turned on makes a big difference in connectivity when my smartphone is with me.

So this might seem tedious but it's little more reliable and less power hungry I believe than what I was doing before but of course like foxbat says it would be dependent on your watch's data connection strength.

I have added the following note in my original thread...

It appears that message + is only needed for the intial set up to activate the calling feature on the LG 2nd edition with a VZW account.

Last edited:

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
You got me second guessing myself but I'm pretty sure I was able to receive and call at home through wifi but maybe you're right about ATTs version. I'll try it out when I get home.

Edit: wifi calling does work. I don't have good vzw service and zero service at home for tmobile. So my phone is on WiFi. So I turned off Bluetooth, to put my watch in standalone connected via wifi. I was able to receive and make a call but I had to set up e911 services again or else it says connecting to server. Please try again later. However, when I did that it turned on watch shares number features to on and I lost my listen to phone audio to watch option. Kinda annoying but it still worked so if I ever need to call and I have no cellular service on either devices, then this would come in handy.

Last edited:

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
My issue now is that Messenger isn't working. I can't get any notifications if I am using Google Messenger. If I use the stock Messaging App for the Droid Turbo then it works fine, but no dice for Messenger.

For some reason, the watch uses its own number to send messages through Google Messenger.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Google messenger is my default app on my phone and watch. On my watch, I have a choice to view messages that were sent to my phone's number or my watches phone number by pressing the icon on top of the app on my watch.

Messages from my phone shows up if I'm connected via Bluetooth or when I'm away from my phone through cloudsync.

Edit: Is your watch and phone connected via Bluetooth? Or are you in standalone aka using cloudsync?

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Its connected by Bluetooth, at least the phone thinks it is. When I open messenger on the watch it doesn't show any of my contacts. When i send a test emoji it uses the phone number for the watch.

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I can't see your attachment. But I assume it looks like a watch behind a phone with an arrow pointing behind it? Yeah, as soon as I set up the calling setup I lost it. Here is what mine looks like:
screen.png

This is what Messenger looks like on My phone. I blurred out names because...Obvious Reasons... But the second one from the top, with the stupid emoticon, that is a message I sent from the watch with the number on the watch.
Screenshot_2016-04-26-00-10-26_1_1.jpg

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You got me second guessing myself but I'm pretty sure I was able to receive and call at home through wifi but maybe you're right about ATTs version. I'll try it out when I get home.

Edit: wifi calling does work. I don't have good vzw service and zero service at home for tmobile. So my phone is on WiFi. So I turned off Bluetooth, to put my watch in standalone connected via wifi. I was able to receive and make a call but I had to set up e911 services again or else it says connecting to server. Please try again later. However, when I did that it turned on watch shares number features to on and I lost my listen to phone audio to watch option. Kinda annoying but it still worked so if I ever need to call and I have no cellular service on either devices, then this would come in handy.
NumberSync is an AT&T only feature. And only works when you are using AT&T service on both the phone and watch. I'm confused here because you didn't mention anything about AT&T service, nor did you turn off cellular data for your testing.

EDIT: just tested, AT&T NumberSync doesn't work over Wi-Fi, nor BT. Cellular service only on the watch. Although reading AT&T's scarce information on its site, it seems to indicate that such feature will work over wi-fi when used on a supported tablet (only one LG tablet support this feature).

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, did some testing again with NumberSync enabled. When AT&T NumberSync is enabled, the Messenger app o the watch will be somehow re-wired to talk to watch cell radio only, not to the phone app at all. All text message send and receive will go through the cell radio on the watch. If you disabled the cell radio, you can't send or receive any text messages on the messenger.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk