[HOW TO] Install USB drivers for the LG Optimus One

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This was a major PITA to figure out, but doing it is pretty easy.

1. Download the LG Mobile Support Tool to your Windows computer from LG right here.
2. Install it, and while the phone is DISCONNECTED open the program.
3. Under the Options & Help menu, choose Country & Language. Set Singapore as your country, and English as your language (unless you prefer another of the listed languages. Hillbilly was not listed.)
4. Next, on the main window choose to install the USB driver, and choose LGP500 as the model number.
5. Wait while the app downloads and installs 4 or 5 separate drivers.
6. On your Optimus One, enable USB debugging and plug it in.

You now have the ADB driver, and the USB modem drivers installed. You know what to do next.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This was figured out before the Optimus phones were being sold by Sprint or T-Mobile. I had to find a country that was selling the unbranded version (the Optimus One or LGP500) but still used English in the LG program's UI. Singapore was the first one I found :p

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone happen to have the MSIs it downloads? I can't actually install these at work because I have issues downloading files (they just stop transfering for some reason).

drklunk

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its just me but Im running Ubuntu 10.10 and installed/opened this using Wine. Ive tried a few different configurations of Wine but I still cant get the menu bar to show up, so I cant change the language. Is there another way I can change the language or something Linux specific?

Im not sure how to use directly downloaded drivers

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe its just me but Im running Ubuntu 10.10 and installed/opened this using Wine. Ive tried a few different configurations of Wine but I still cant get the menu bar to show up, so I cant change the language. Is there another way I can change the language or something Linux specific?

Im not sure how to use directly downloaded drivers

You don't need any drivers on Linux. Make sure USB debugging is on on the phone, connect to a high speed USB port, and in a terminal:

Code:
sudo su
*password*
cd /home/path/to/sdk/tools/directory/
./adb-kill server
./adb-start-server
exit

You can then use adb as a regular user. You can script the above commands, or look for the udev rules for LG Android phones and you won't need to start the server as root any longer.

Reactions: sixit

drklunk

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
You don't need any drivers on Linux. Make sure USB debugging is on on the phone, connect to a high speed USB port, and in a terminal:

Code:
sudo su
*password*
cd /home/path/to/sdk/tools/directory/
./adb-kill server
./adb-start-server
exit

You can then use adb as a regular user. You can script the above commands, or look for the udev rules for LG Android phones and you won't need to start the server as root any longer.
This is the information I needed, thank you! Been in and out of Google and the Ubuntu forums

turnerjazz

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe that Sprint is selling a phone that takes this much work just to connect to the PC. I have to imagine that many average users won't be able to figure this out. It seems like an awefully huge fail on LGs part considering this phone is currently being pushed by Sprint as it's #1 non-4G phone.

turnerjazz

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe that Sprint is selling a phone that takes this much work just to connect to the PC. I have to imagine that many average users won't be able to figure this out. It seems like an awefully huge fail on LGs part considering this phone is currently being pushed by Sprint as it's #1 non-4G phone.

I should add, thanks to gbhil for posting the solution!

spike

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks gbhil for the how-to.
Can anyone point me to an alternate link for LG Mobile Support Tool . I cannot access it via the LG site in the original post.
thanks

shelzza

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hay

I installed it and I connect my phone and it says ready to use but I got to my computer and double click driver f removable device and it says please connect removable device. HELP?

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So what I get from this, is that this will download drivers for the unbranded GSM Optimus? This will work fine with the Optimus S (Sprint), correct? Nice to have you as a dev again gbhil :)

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
is there anywhere special that we're suppose to put all the drivers? because I'm still having trouble getting them to work I'm also on Windows 7 if that matters at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez