Moto G and USB cables (charging & data)....some don't work?

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys...was wondering if anyone who owns a Moto G can tell me if their phone does not always connect to their PC (in USB connectivity mode) or simply does NOT charge using certain micro-USB cables?

Anyone find they have an issue with a certain charger or cable that does not want the Moto G to charge or connect to PC??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
in a USB cable, there are multiple wires. Some are specifically for carrying current (to power/charge the device), some for carrying data. Cheap USB cables (esp from eBay) tend to be "charge only" cables - meaning the data wires are not connected or simply not there to save manufacturing costs. If you pay for a reasonable brand name you should be getting a proper USB cable which can and will charge as well as carry data to and from the device. Or if the cable you're using is old or damaged the wires inside could be kinked or broken which would affect how well it would work - if it would work at all.

If you are having problems connecting your MotoG to the computer, try a different cable - preferably the one that came in the box. If you have a couple spare USB cables try each one to see. You might have one that is "Charge only" - I get rid of these whenever I find them. Mostly I charge my devices using a wall charger, but occasionally I need to transfer data on or off of them - and I don't want to be messing around with cables that are built to be "charge only". If I plug it into my computer I know that it can charge as well as transfer data.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi GravityMan,
There's definitely something weird going on with cables and chargers with the Moto G, it likes some and not others as you'll find in various threads in the forum.
I was initially using the Motorola supplied cable with an old HTC plug/charger, sometimes it would be fine and other times it wouldn't work properly...I since bought another plug/charger which works without any problems.
The plug/charger I bought is 2100mA

GravityMan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I see.....ur right.... It seems to like some cables/chargers combinations and not others.....in not sure why? U seem to know a bit more about it...

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
can tell me if their phone does not always connect to their PC

Lemme try and throw some clear light on this issue as many things in play.

I would be very surprised if it is the actual cables as there are a bunch of variables.

Many USB ports especially on laptops are not powered, they only have data lines. Often just one of the two or three ports will actually be powered internally.
Many USB ports especially on laptops will have power but able to be turned off/on according to some settings.
Many USB ports especially on laptops will have power turned off if the battery is getting low or the laptop is running on battery and not plugged into the mains.
Many USB ports especially on laptops deliver differing amounts of current. The USB protocol 2 is rated at a max of 500mA and USB 3 at 900mA. Either or both of those can be throttled back and/or shut off on some PCs, laptops especially.
Many walwart power supplies are apple tweaked to require a signal from the device to let the flow begin. Dumb idea but hey, it's apple OK. Without that signal nothing happens and that's why you will often see two USB ports on a walwart and one will have a tiny "A" alongside it. That port will not deliver current unless an apply-type signal is present whereas the other port is "normal." :)

Very, very unlikely to be the cable -- unless it is a faulty cable..

Satyasun

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Recently bought a Moto g in india. I have the same USB cable issue (not charging my Moto G) . The cable is working fine and it is charging other adroid phones connected to my laptop USB ports. That means there is no issue with USB ports as well. Even if I buy another USB cable for moto G ,what's the guarantee that it would work?

RAJAGS

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Friends,

Even i am facing the Similar issue as a alternative resort i am using Google Drive to transfer my files to Fone, Even Moto Migrate feature is so simple to transfer data as sited in most of the reviews online.

i have used 2 different USB cable an Sony one & a Samsung one & they are original ones ,Still the issue continues.

I hope someone would have cracked a solution if yes, please share the solution here.

vincekeel

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I was grossly disappointed with the same issue on my Moto G. But I have found a quick-fix with regards to this. All you have to do is restart the phone while connecting it to the laptop via the usb cable. It works after that. It's still a mighty pain to do that every time.

Edit: It's been two days now since the problem but after restarting the phone that time, it hasn't given me any issues again.

Last edited:

Lester Cui

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I was grossly disappointed with the same issue on my Moto G. But I have found a quick-fix with regards to this. All you have to do is restart the phone while connecting it to the laptop via the usb cable. It works after that. It's still a mighty pain to do that every time.

Edit: It's been two days now since the problem but after restarting the phone that time, it hasn't given me any issues again.

This worked!! Thankss

yourz forever

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I am facing the same problem. After rebooting phone, moto g connects to pc. But once i remove usb cable, and try again to connect, it doesn't. So have to reboot phone again.
My phone came with the kitkat version and on PC windows 7 is installed. Any fix to this ?

Soham Sarbadhikari

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I have tried few usb cables with different results.
-While the old nokia cable(very old one) worked absolutely fine with reasonable data transfer speed along wiht charging
-Samsung cable (relatively new provided with Samsung Galaxy Y) sucked all my battery power (80% to 0 in matter of second). I'm not quite sure if there was a problem with laptop port.
As of now I have stopped using data cable :'(

akhilyadav

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Here is the solution..go to the settings->Storage->USB Computer connection->check the media device
And enjoy you data sharing with laptop/PC.

Sravanth Kumar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
same thing happened to my mobile when I connected my MOTO G to my laptop through a samsung datacable, it sucked all the power from my mobile. Let me know if any one have an idea about this issue.

Lokesh S

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
yesterday I plugged my Moto G to transfer data to my Laptop.... first thing the connection doesn't establish properly. it often fluctuates.
second thing when I tapped on MTP mode phone got turned off and when I plugged it out then I saw that battery power drained to 0% from 84%.

Kindly advise which is the best suitable cable to buy which ensure both charging and Data transfer.

Thanks!

swati bhatia

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
by mistake i switched off my usb connection (moto E)
& was wondering why i am unable to connect moto e on my system via usb .. even usb chargers were not recognised by moto E .. tried many things.. when solution was so simple :|

any ways i hope this might help you as well

for forming usb connection do the following steps on your moto phone

settings>storage>> : (settings of storage) >> usb computer connection >> mtp (check the 1st option)

& install moto usb driver on your system i.e

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97326/p/30,6720,9050

(ps: found link via google only)

i hope this helps you :)

thasan

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
USB Cables with only two wires (ground and 5V) do not work. USB Cables with all 4 cables do work. I have been testing with a lot of cables. That is what I discovered after cutting some cables. Besides the older Blackberries, these are the only phones that seem to have this limitation.

vkr200710

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
What I have observed for MOTO E is the USB cable can be used for data connection and charging. But NOT in XP OS based system where it is only transferring data, where as in Windows 7 based system the Phone is charging as well as transferring data
I have tried both in 2-3 systems ( of both type each) and the result was same. I have tried with 3 different cable in different PC each time result was same. However the MOTO G was tried only in one XP based ( and one cable only) system where it was charging
Has anyone else had the same experience
Can someone explain the reason for it

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Bought 3, 6 foot cables for 81 cents a piece (that is not a typo) from Monoprice. So far, they work like a champ on my G. Nice, snug fit.

Cost me more to ship them than to buy 3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez