Extremely annoyed with KITKAT, I want to get rid of my moto g now

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
After dodging the persistent update button for 2 months, two days ago it finally got me and I mistakenly pressed it. Kitkat was installed. My life changed, forever, it seems.

1. Files dont show up properly via USB MTP, I have to restart the phone. Before I could use sdrescan app, now nothing works.
2. My favourite game, real racing 3, lags and has intermittent sound. Note that on this game I have spent more money with google play cards than I have spent on buying this phone! It meant a lot to me.
3. App Ops doesnt work.
4. No call recording app works, none whatsoever. I simply cannot record my business calls.

I'm going to now take into consideration two routes, as this phone is completely USELESS for me.
1. root the phone and revert to whatever the hell it was before this kitkat update.
2. return my phone to the company I bought it from and demand my money back.

I HATE KITKAT. Not a SINGLE improvement! They should term it a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
wow dude, calm down lol

like someone already said, i really haven't heard about such bad issues with Kitkat!

i myself have it+ART for a month now and no issues, no bugs! ofc, i did a factory reset after the update but since you don't want to, at least try other solutions!

if nothing works, some guys of the other forum i go to found a way to revert to JB WITHOUT rooting and i believe it doesen't erase files!
i'll find the link and post it here!

sent from my Moto G <3

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately the suggestions above that said to factory reset, tried it, didnt work. And to @nessinhaw, there is absolutely no way to revert back to JB without erasing the files. You dont require a root, but you need to flash the rom.

Anyway long story short, after I wrote here I started on rooting. Spent the last countless hours doing it so I thought I'd share how I did it. Note that before today I was a novice, now I'm a self declared pro!

I started off by finding stock firmware for android JB 4.3. Found it. Unlocked the bootloader from motorola website. Downloaded ADB from google's android site. Installed moto G device drivers. Flashed the rom and got JB on. Worked.

Then I proceeded to root the phone, after banging my head for quite a while managed to install SuperSU. Worked.

Oh by the way while I was getting unlock code from motorola site the warning actaully said something on the lines of 'we are not responsible for personal injury caused by unlocking'. Found a couple of threads where other people had noticed it too.

Anyway was stuck with this ugly notification or warning when I switched on the phone which said the bootloader is unlocked. I managed to replace it with a nifty 'motorola dual core technology' logo.

Installed AppOps, worked.
Installed Titanium backup, worked.

Coming to titanium backup, I managed to FREEZE the MotorolaOTA 1.0 which was giving the annoying notifications for updates. The update notification is gone forever, it is literally frozen and disabled and shows in androids own settings too!

After a couple of backflips and tripleflips I then proceeded to install Real Racing 3, the app I bought this phone for, the app I use this phone 99.9999% of the times for. It worked, no delay, no sound lag.

With a big grin, I then installed a lockscreen which would enable me to launch my favourite apps. I had this annoying problem before, well most of you do but you probably dont take notice, that when you turn on the camera to record, if you close the flip (magnetic) of the original motorola flip shell, since its magnetic, it would shut down the camera and lock the phone. I downloaded an app which would run despite being closed, and has no weird special permissions. Something I wanted to do for a long time, done.

USB MTP problem, fixed, completely. SDrescan runs. MDScan runs.

Oh yes, the call recording app runs too.

All these things i mentioned above, with kitkat, they wouldnt run, no matter what i would do, they wouldnt perform. But the last nail in the coffin was when real racing 3 stopped working with kitkat. I was like thats it, no way are they going to take RR3 from me.

I know my warranty is void now since I've rooted it, and theoretically I can get viruses, but the way android system works, if you are careful with what apps you install, you can literally never get a virus. The thing is I feel so much comfortable with appops, that if I download a pesky game like angry birds it wouldnt have my camera on while I'm in the loo or something. So really although they give the impression that the phone is without warranty now and might get viruses, in fact what good is that warranty if the basic apps you need, or well I need, are not running after a supposed upgrade which was more like a downgrade really.

Quite honestly its like a special feeling. I feel that the phone now belongs to me. I know I cant send it for repairs if anything goes wrong now, but to be honest if I had lived with those limitations I would have always been unsatisfied. This reminds me of those new laptops windows 8 ones that have auto updates on and those updates would take ages to compelete after every shutdown and compare it to my win 7 machine that is never updated and has been running for 3 yrs without a virus or a lag of any sort. Say no to updates thats what I say. If it aint broken dont fix it.

I first unlocked the bootloader here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...e/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth
This is a very important step.
Apparently for nexus phones google offers firmware right on their site. Soon to come for moto g as well. I downloaded the uk retail 4.3. I downloaded mine from here Motorola Firmwares
Followed guide to restore to stock firmware here on xda-developers [GUIDE] Moto G - Restore stock firmware - xda-developers
For a while thought of installed cyanogenmod but decided against it as I reckoned it might be an overkill and the stock firmware would fulfill my needs just fine.
For rooting I followed this guide [How To] Root Motorola Moto G Using Modified Recovery Method
and actaully this guide Root your Moto G - option 2: Modified recovery - Motorola Moto G - MoDaCo for modifed recovery method as that worked for me.
however towards the end while sideloading i ran into a problem that the pc wouldnt read the android while in bootloader. post by @rhymiz in comments here How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central helped me.

ill paste it here:
For those that have that receive device not found with ADB trying to sideload the update, I've found a fix for that. (Windows 8, I don't know if this works on Windows 7, but try it and let me know.)

Steps: Install the drivers that come with your SDK or download them here:
Google USB Driver | Android Developers

Get your device ready to receive update from ADB, then right click on "Computer", Select Properties then device manager.

You should see your Nexus show up with a triangle, indicating that drivers have not been installed. Right click on Nexus 7 or which ever Nexus you have, click properties, select update driver, browse my computer for driver software, then click on let me pick from a list..., a Window will pop up with where you can select your device type, select ADB Interface, then click next, you'll be taken to a screen where you can select a Model, click on ADB Interface (or ADB Testing Interface), click next, you'll get a warning message from Windows, click yes anyway and your driver will be installed.

Test it by opening a shell and typing "adb get-serialno", you should see your Nexus' serial number.

I also got stuck in bootloader and post 5 helped me here [Q] Stuck in Fastboot - xda-developers

I removed the bootloaded warning logo by following guide here [HOWTO] Remove The Unlocked Bootloader Warning logo - xda-developers

I removed system update notifications for **itkat using guide here [Q] How to disable firmwar update notifications on Moto G ? - xda-developers basically with root access of titanium backup by freezing motorolaOTA 1.0.

Also worth mentioning this video that helped me initially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TOoXod_rv0

I LOVE my moto G now!

I can finally use my phone now, I feel proud of it. BTW came across this interesting video where a lady puts the moto g for 30 mins underwater https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVaTKG5q4YI

By the way i used to use My Backup Pro, and tommorow i intend to restore some of the apps data back onto the phone. So if any of you plan to follow this, make sure you got backups! :)

P.S I forgot to mention that motorola website said something on lines of warranty not being void if its a developer edition of moto g, whatever that is. I'm not sure if mine is one, and i dont care, but the point I wanted to get across was that motorola themselves sort of encourage you to play around with the phone if you want to develop or something. In fact I came across some article about them making everything out in the open soon to help folks who want to flash stock firmware like you can on nexus. Have a read of this http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/you-asked-we-listened-announcing.html

Last edited:

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks shmotog for all the info.
i just rooted my 4.3 moto G and im going to try titanium backup to freeze the motorolaOTA, hope it works, i dont want kitkat :c

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks shmotog for all the info.
i just rooted my 4.3 moto G and im going to try titanium backup to freeze the motorolaOTA, hope it works, i dont want kitkat :c

it works. i see motorolaOTA sitting there, frozen in titanium, hasnt shown its ugly face ever since.

Ivo-p

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I must say I am quite happy to know that you have solved all your problems. You could have waited 4.4.3 for the bugfixes thought :D. Still now you are having it your way. Thumbs up

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I must say I am quite happy to know that you have solved all your problems. You could have waited 4.4.3 for the bugfixes thought :D. Still now you are having it your way. Thumbs up

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

Well yes, rooting did solve the problems I had initially plus it gave me the added advantage that I installed Avast Anti Theft. What I did was, installed it, and then I unrooted my phone. OTA remained frozen, it was still JB, and I therefore had no need for root, even App Ops was there so really no need for root anymore. I could however not relock the bootloader as the ROM had been modified.

However I must stress on Avast Anti Theft. With a rooted installation (I unrooted later on but its rooted effect remained which I'll explain). Normally with any anti theft software, it would be gone once the phone is factory reset. Factory reset does just that, resets it back to as it was when it came from the factory. However if Avast anti theft was installed with a rooted installation, nothing, I mean nothing will erase it as it gets embedded in /system folder.

Advantages? I can do a full thorough wipe in case my phone gets stolen, not just a factory reset or any such thing which merely deletes the tables and the data still remains. This is the proper wipe. After a thief might factory reset the phone, takes battery out, does anything he wants, avast will remain and track with location. It works.

However the only thing that will inhibit avast is if a fresh ROM is installed (not recovery, ROM).

I later on installed stock recovery back, so stop anyone from installing superSU (rooting).

I'm not sure if 4.4.3 will solve any bugs. The problems I mentioned were not really bugs to begin with, but deliberate ommissions.

I think the new moto g is coming with a sd card slot and kitkat pre installed.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I want to add that after titanium freezed the ota, i successfully unrooted and ota still remains frozen, so once youve frozen the apps you want to freeze like motorolaOTA, you can safely unroot from within superSU and flash stock recovery.

you would never be able to relock the bootlaoder, without reflashing the whole rom. but, you dont want to relock bootloader anyway. Why? Because a locked bootloader does not make android any safer. as a safety measure a locked bootloader would wipe the phone before it unlocks, which supposedly deletes your data. however this is android, not a blackberry, and is not secure, therefore you can use one of the many apps available to restore data. unless data is wiped multiple times, like avast does with its 'thorough wipe', data can be recovered. therefore the security measure of locked bootloader is useless imho.

also like i said, once youve frozen apps with titanium, not only can you safely unroot but you can also uninstall titanium itself, and the apps will remain frozen including motorolaOTA.

currenly the only things i have installed is Xposed Framework. once you have gravitybox and xpoosed framework installed, you can safely unroot like i have done.

i must warn you that if you experience xposed framework and gravity box once, you will get addicted to it, you will never go back to plain old stock rom again. every phone should, and probalby in future would, come installed with xposed.

for anti-theft i have avast anti theft (rooted). again, after installation, you can safely unroot and it will remain as a system app.

syedihtisham86

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you people guide me for one of my problems.... Would be very grateful....I upgrade my Asia Retail XT 1033 moto g from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 and now I see that as I move one room far from my router the signals become weak or many a time totally zero whereas a low end Samsung phone receives wifi at that point where moto g doesn't...... I am stuck as what to do exactly.. I have unlocked the bootloader by requesting the unlock code from Motorola website.. And it is now rooted as well....
Should i install Jelly beans or flash 4.4.4 or moto g's wifi radio antenna range is this much... I am sure it shouldnt be less than a pocket galaxy.... Please guide.... Otherwise no issues with 4.4.4

Posted via the Android Central App

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
OP must have really like that Real Racing game..
Different strokes and all :)

While I don't understand the OP's attachment to that game (probably since I've no use for games), I do understand his annoyance. I, too, would be annoyed if an update trashed a feature that was important to me.

In fact... my wife's and my tablets. They came out-of-the-box with a feature trashed by Samsung: The clipboard. Before Samsung finally fixed it (if they ever did), I finally got fed up and replaced Samsung's buggy, bloaty crapware with CyanogenMod. So, yeah, I understand the OP's annoyance well. And I understand his satisfaction with gaining control over his device. I felt the same way, the exact same way, when CyanogenMod booted for the first time on my tablet. Every time I reboot that thing, and see that CM logo, I'm reminded: Mine :)

Odd, tho, all the things that the upgrade to KK broke for the OP.