Should I root my MOTO G 2015? To get more storage?

M05K

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone! I didn't want to root my new MOTO G 2015 but I need more storage if I want to install more app's, I saw with root permissions we can transfer full sized app's to the sd, is it true? and how? I've seen already a guide how to root moto g 2015, but know I want to know how to transfer full sized app's to the SD and then i'll decide if I want to root or not.

Do you think I should root? It will be better If i want more storage?

Thank you!

Megsh

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
How about inserting SD card, most apps can be installed on ur SD card and if you root make sure it does have the feature of receiving OTAs. There different kind of roots for a phone. OTA receivable roots and non receivable roots and also by doing it (root) you will end up voiding your phone's warranty. So consider these aspects before you take this step.

Posted via the Android Central App

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you get the 8 or 16 gb? Just use an SD card and You'll be fine

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto X 2014/Moto G3/Moto G1/Lenovo Tab S8/ Lenovo Yoga 11 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

Lantesh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Once the Marshmallow upgrade comes out you will be able to format your SD card as internal storage. So at that point you will be able to install apps on the SD card without rooting the phone, or making any modifications at all.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering how well using the sd card as system storage will work with a card larger then 32GB. That's the official size Motorola says works with the G3 (Moto names the device this) and higher sizes might not work. My 64 GB SD card works perfect. I'm wondering if moto still say something like "Only up to 32 GB".

So psyched for Marshmallow just got that feature alone. That will make the moto x pure (with 128 GB SD card) closer to nexus 6P too.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The "32GB" restriction is more a partition type thing... By default, flash memory comes formatted in FAT32 when 16/32GB or smaller, but ExFat when larger, and Windows cannot format larger than 32GB as FAT32... but FAT32 does support filesystems to 2TB. Inserting a 64GB or 128GB causes the phone to produce an error and ask to format the card, if you allow it to the card will work fine. You can also format the card in Linux or Mac systems with no issues or in Windows using a third party tool.

When Android M is released, the card can be added to internal storage by allowing the system to format it as Ext2/3/4 (unsure of exact type, but one of the default Android formats) and it can be statically linked to the existing storage effectively increasing the internal storage by the size of the card. Note that we are still unsure of how this will exactly be implemented, it will at a minimum require formatting the SD card, but may require factory defaulting the entire device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress