Voice/Data on Sprint

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from Metro PCS to Sprint with my Moto G7. Unfortunately this phone seems to have a weak antenna as it gets a poor signal on both services, but in my case Sprint is at least usable for a decent price.

Anyway, with Sprint I'm unable to use voice/data at the same time. Which I probably don't use that often, but occasionally it's handy. While on Metro I absolutely could be on a voice call and still have data. With Sprint that isn't an option apparently. Sprint acts like the phone isn't capable of this however I know it is as I've done it.

I understand that Metor is GSM and Sprint is CDMA, but from what I've ready I'm pretty sure this is also possible using this phone on Verizon which is also a CDMA provider.

Is there any work-around for this type of thing or is this strictly something that I have to wait for Sprint to catch up on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Simultaneous voice/data requires VoLTE, which Sprint has been very delayed in rolling out to their entire system. I think it's only available in certain markets. Verizon does have VoLTE, which is why you can have simultaneous voice/data there.

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Right, but VoLTE is available in my area. People I work with can use it on Sprint. I'm just trying to figure out what part is being held up in my case. I'm not sure if there's something that can be done through some trickery or rooting, or if I just have to wait for Sprint to officially give my particular phone the OK.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure how it is on Sprint, but perhaps you need to have a Sprint-branded phone to access VoLTE on their network? Try calling Sprint customer support and ask them if that's the case.

See this thread for a general discussion about the matter: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/akq862/should_we_expect_volte_on_noncarrier_byod_phones/

EDIT: I found this -- looks like it's a limitation of the phone on Sprint: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g7-play-moto-g7-moto-g7/Wifi-Calling-and-VOLTE/td-p/4364538

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38