NFL Mobile and the Instashare Projector Motomod

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Will we be able to project video (and games) from the NFL Mobile app?

Back in the Motorola Lapdock days, HDMI out was blocked for the NFL app.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't see why not. You are just projecting whatever is on your screen. I see no reason why they would block it.

^ exactly. Couldn't have been said any clearer. You're just projecting whatever is on your screen, which makes the Moto Z and Mod implementation incredible, downright futuristic tbh...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't see why not. You are just projecting whatever is on your screen. I see no reason why they would block it.

They've blocked HDMI in the past.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
True but this is not HDMI. This is just screen mirroring. No different then using mirrocast to stream to a smart TV. I think you'll be fine.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
While I would lean toward thinking it won't be blocked, I don't think we can assume it. We don't know enough about how the multi-pin port is treated to know if it's unblockable, and we don't know if they would desire it to be blocked or not.

Codisimus

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
FYI, Streaming NFL games is blocked when casting to a TV. For this reason I believe it will be blocked when projecting if it is not already.

I am considering purchasing the projector mod mostly to display NFL games. I'll report my findings if I make it out to BestBuy one of these Sundays.

dthornb3ZZ

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the Moto Z and the projector. Tried and the NFL App, the Time Warner App and any other television based is blocked. I am beyond pissed that I purchased a 300 paper weight. This needs to be resolved immediately.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the Moto Z and the projector. Tried and the NFL App, the Time Warner App and any other television based is blocked. I am beyond pissed that I purchased a 300 paper weight. This needs to be resolved immediately.

It's a licensing issue, not a technical one. I doubt it will be "resolved".

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a licensing issue, not a technical one. I doubt it will be "resolved".

I know this for a fact, at least the part about the issue not being a technical one. Last year I could cast games until a few weeks into the season, and then evidently the app updated and projecting was blocked.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it using the Verizon Mobile NFL app and while I could watch it on the phone it blocked it from projecting it. This is a bunch of Bulls**t What difference does it make? You are just making it bigger. However it allows me to cast the game to my android TV by connecting to the game on the phone and using the drop down menu and hitting cast. The game plays full screen and sound. Go figure. Maybe they will kill it in a few weeks as mentioned above .

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it using the Verizon Mobile NFL app and while I could watch it on the phone it blocked it from projecting it. This is a bunch of Bulls**t What difference does it make? You are just making it bigger. However it allows me to cast the game to my android TV by connecting to the game on the phone and using the drop down menu and hitting cast. The game plays full screen and sound. Go figure. Maybe they will kill it in a few weeks as mentioned above .
I was wondering whether or not the NFL app would allow projection and/or screen casting to happen. Thanks for the info. Am also wondering about screen casting the MLB app, both live games and video highlights. Anyone tried doing this?