TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
2.X Phone
3.X Tablet
4.X Both

5.X ??? No reasons to jump like that
Next logic step is 4.3 and it will be.

Using your logic we should expect to see an update at every 4.X interval then? Because that's incorrect. Maybe we'll see a 4.3 with Google Babel/Hangouts and whatnot, but the next OS will be a 5.X.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Moto will not ship a stock android phone. Sorry, it won't happen. The majority of users just want something easy that works. Most people aren't phone geeks like us. This is from what a Motorola employee has said himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stock Android is the simplest form to use... Have you owned a Nexus before?

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't have the features phones with ui have. I rooted and flashed my RAZR and thunderbolt and tried stock. I hate it. Its too bland. Like eating a tomato without salt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Android needs to update its bluetooth 4.0 stack before it releases glasses. Maybe 5.0 will coincide with official glasses release sometime in 2014. Until then it 4.x sailing.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't have the features phones with ui have. I rooted and flashed my RAZR and thunderbolt and tried stock. I hate it. Its too bland. Like eating a tomato without salt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well you tried it and didn't like it, Motorola phones may not be for you going forward. I do not see it running straight AOSP but I doubt it will be far off. I like the stock 4.x look and find the notification actions in 4.2 to give me the best user experience of any mobile OS variant.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Agree in part with this, but Sammy won't drop Google until there is something to gain. As Sammy doesn't actually own Tizen, it's just a partner in it, it's not like they get their own Google out of it. From a customer experience and retention standpoint, Samsung loses BIG if they lose access to the Google Play Store without something close in quality to back it up with. It is probably inevitable that Sammy will venture out, but even then I still think they'll keep Android devices for awhile releasing dual streams to try to hold on to the significant customer base that won't follow automatically.

Old post I know but this is an interesting point...

There have been articles stating that the ceo of Samsung has said they will be putting out tizen phones later this year. Being a partner in tizen means they could have more invested in it than android. Also, if Samsung took tizen and dropped touchwiz (or something that looked nearly identical) on top of it, average consumers wouldn't be able to tell. They would see the same familiar colorful ui, the same galaxy and Samsung name and not be intimidated. It would take time to build up an app base (although the ceo states they already have 100000+), but it's no different than when Google released android really.

Also, if they did release their "own" OS, they could tie it in to all their other electronics. They have "s" features on their tvs already, I can just see them trying to establish an ecosystem like apple. Get the Samsung name out, enjoy rapid growth, and then reap the rewards of the established brand loyalty you have built

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

But your point was about simplicity, not features. In fact, it's the features and available customization of some UI's (TouchWiz) that would make a device far more complex than a simple, stock UI.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
But your point was about simplicity, not features. In fact, it's the features and available customization of some UI's (TouchWiz) that would make a device far more complex than a simple, stock UI.

Extra features do make it easier. Like on the pull down menu with touchwhiz. There are countless settings on it. Why is it the "in" thing to like stock. It echoes in every thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Extra features do make it easier. Like on the pull down menu with touchwhiz. There are countless settings on it. Why is it the "in" thing to like stock. It echoes in every thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Because stock keeps things clean and fast. Many of the Samsung features just add bloat and delay updates. If you prefer the added features then it is a benefit to go with this type of device. For me I miss nothing about my old Samsung phone. My Nexus 4 + Nova launcher and a few widgets gives me everything I could need.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Old post I know but this is an interesting point...

There have been articles stating that the ceo of Samsung has said they will be putting out tizen phones later this year. Being a partner in tizen means they could have more invested in it than android. Also, if Samsung took tizen and dropped touchwiz (or something that looked nearly identical) on top of it, average consumers wouldn't be able to tell. They would see the same familiar colorful ui, the same galaxy and Samsung name and not be intimidated. It would take time to build up an app base (although the ceo states they already have 100000+), but it's no different than when Google released android really.

Also, if they did release their "own" OS, they could tie it in to all their other electronics. They have "s" features on their tvs already, I can just see them trying to establish an ecosystem like apple. Get the Samsung name out, enjoy rapid growth, and then reap the rewards of the established brand loyalty you have built
Ask Microsoft or BlackBerry how things are going with having limited apps. This is a giant mountain to climb and unless Samsung offers something that is just so whizz bang amazing (did I say whizz bang?) then they will have a hard time walking away from the benefits of Android. Now that doesn't mean they couldn't do both, which could open up opportunities for them to launch the Tizen phone with some cool features to get people's attention. Then slowly work developers into making apps.

I guess you never know but with an ego the size of Samsung, anything is possible.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Ask Microsoft or BlackBerry how things are going with having limited apps. This is a giant mountain to climb and unless Samsung offers something that is just so whizz bang amazing (did I say whizz bang?) then they will have a hard time walking away from the benefits of Android. Now that doesn't mean they couldn't do both, which could open up opportunities for them to launch the Tizen phone with some cool features to get people's attention. Then slowly work developers into making apps.

I guess you never know but with an ego the size of Samsung, anything is possible.

Very true. Only time will tell really, but like you said Samsung's head is getting huge, so i can imagine they have some sort of expansionist mentality haha plus they have significant cash to burn nowadays.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I expect them to do both for a time until they see Tizen either allow them to make better budget devices or fail completely. They have lots of money but if you could buy your way into mobile Microsoft would have a year ago.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tizen isn't Samsung's, they're just a partner in the project, similar to how they are in the AOSP, etc. This allows them to help steer it and we probably will someday see Tizen devices, but there is very little upside to Samsung in using Tizen other than it'll have different requirements and rules regarding app downloads, etc. It's not like TouchWiz OS.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Tizen isn't Samsung's, they're just a partner in the project, similar to how they are in the AOSP, etc. This allows them to help steer it and we probably will someday see Tizen devices, but there is very little upside to Samsung in using Tizen other than it'll have different requirements and rules regarding app downloads, etc. It's not like TouchWiz OS.

Seems like they're pretty involved partners from all the articles I've been reading. Samsung and Intel are really spearheading this thing. I've also seen that Samsung is folding Bada into Tizen because they see potential in it. Maybe the upside are the different rules and regs? Who knows for sure.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not the "in" thing to like stock. It's just that stock is so good that almost everyone on this website likes it way more than any manufacturer overlay.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not the "in" thing to like stock. It's just that stock is so good that almost everyone on this website likes it way more than any manufacturer overlay.

I like the look and feel of stock; but I do use ROM's that give me more flexibility within it. I think I'm agreeing with you. I know I like some TouchWiz features, but I absolutely hate the way it looks.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The only reason to use stock is the development that flows it. I would never run a completely stock device mor than I had to. Cm and other stock based roms are the reason why many like stock. There are many things that it is just flat missing. Like why in the world did it take till 4.2 to get any kind of pull down setting toggles? That's probably the most useful thing to ever be put on a phone and skins have had it forever it seems.

Sent from my SCH-I535