Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Once again, I'll explain it again. It's sub-par for the asking price. The screen is 720p instead of 1080p, the processor is outdated, the phone itself isn't amazing. It's fast certainly, I mean Its a good phone. Just not for the money they're asking. It's sub-par for the amount of money they're asking

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Tell me this. Why would you be willing to pay more for the Galaxy S4 over the Moto X when the 1080p screen gives nothing but poorer performance over a screen the human eye legitimately can't distinguish a difference in normal viewing?

Why would you pay more to a company for a phone that performs WORSE (slower, stutters, and has lag) than a phone that doesn't just because they put in two additional blocks of silicon that do nothing. The "mid ranged" phone on the other hand has a completely unique pair of silicon blocks that DO allow the phone to do completely unique things while being useful for longer with a smaller battery and size?

Samsung made really poor decisions because they are spending more money to build device that provide no benefit to the customer other than bragging rights.

The Moto X costs 199 because it is an extremely well made high end device and by all guesstimate costs only approximately 20-30 dollars less to build. But I can hazard a guess they spent a whole lot more than Samsung trying to figure out how to build a device with revolutionary features that don't kill the battery life or cause the phone to become overwhelmed.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
He was right when he said...

and you say this is true?

and BTW, he said that he isn't bcking him up on that. He is just having a metldown and saying I don't get the difference between chipsets and Soc.. hahah :D .. Like the terms aren't self explanatory, he had to look it up in Wikipedia. This is the so called "expert".

I wasn't talking about that. And he is pretty smart when it comes to this topic, it's just you aren't. Really, respect the people on this site, especially the moderators

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It is semantics when you still don't say that

is a false statement.

Someone who really knows about this, wouldn't have to copy and paste 3 paragraphs from Wikipedia. An SoC can be explained very simple in ONE short sentence.

Then do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It is semantics when you still don't say that

is a false statement.

No, it's not.

Someone who really knows about this, wouldn't have to copy and paste 3 paragraphs from Wikipedia.

You don't seem to realize he provided that basic information for you, not for himself. You're the one demonstrating your lack of understanding on this topic, not them.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Tell me this. Why would you be willing to pay more for the Galaxy S4 over the Moto X when the 1080p screen gives nothing but poorer performance over a screen the human eye legitimately can't distinguish a difference in normal viewing?

Why would you pay more to a company for a phone that performs WORSE (slower, stutters, and has lag) than a phone that doesn't just because they put in two additional blocks of silicon that do nothing. The "mid ranged" phone on the other hand has a completely unique pair of silicon blocks that DO allow the phone to do completely unique things while being useful for longer with a smaller battery and size?

Samsung made really poor decisions because they are spending more money to build device that provide no benefit to the customer other than bragging rights.

The Moto X costs 199 because it is an extremely well made high end device and by all guesstimate costs only approximately 20-30 dollars less to build. But I can hazard a guess they spent a whole lot more than Samsung trying to figure out how to build a device with revolutionary features that don't kill the battery life or cause the phone to become overwhelmed.

Ahem, if I may, let's begin the rant:
Sure, the scores are lower, but will that be noticeable in real life? I can play need for speed just fine on the s4 with no problems. Secondly, the lag has been fixed. Samsung pushed out quick updates to solve this problem, because they care about their customers. And don't even try go go into the features, because a lot of them are extremely useful. The Moto X only has a few, probably the best being open mic. Samsung cares about the customers, builds wonderful phones, and pushes out updates when needed. They also provide excellent services which no other company has been able to provide. Now, the moto x is good, but I warn you do not try to say the s4 is bad cause I'll deck all of your arguments

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, it's possible for more than one device to be good or great or bad at the same time. A new good device doesn't make old devices bad and just being newer isn't by default better. Also, better for what is probably an important consideration.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Ahem, if I may, let's begin the rant:
Sure, the scores are lower, but will that be noticeable in real life? I can play need for speed just fine on the s4 with no problems. Secondly, the lag has been fixed. Samsung pushed out quick updates to solve this problem, because they care about their customers. And don't even try go go into the features, because a lot of them are extremely useful. The Moto X only has a few, probably the best being open mic. Samsung cares about the customers, builds wonderful phones, and pushes out updates when needed. They also provide excellent services which no other company has been able to provide. Now, the moto x is good, but I warn you do not try to say the s4 is bad cause I'll deck all of your arguments

Throughout this thread it's quite refreshing finding someone I disagree with that can actually articulate an argument.

I miss logical conversation.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I miss logical conversation.

It still happens on campuses everywhere! Just not so much on the internet anymore...

2009-04-19-21-44-12_0019.jpg

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Why do people still argue about specs? Do you NOT get the bigger picture ?!

Look at the iPhone. Its been "lagging behind in specs' since forever right? Yet look how it operates to the end-user. Its flawless. It doesn't stutter, it just works perfectly. Now when someone who isn't tech savy goes to look for a phone, they see an iPhone that doesnt hiccup at all and then a GS4 whose ALL-MIGHT SPECS still lag like its 2005. Samsung doesn't optimize its OS at all clearly. Doing simple **** like opening contacts LAG. Who wants that?! What person that goes to a store would want this after 2 minutes of playing with it they see that it just does not operate right? No body.

Sure the GS4 is capable of more, but to the general person does it matter? Absolutely not! This is why iPhone is where it is. This is what Google is trying to accomplish here. Optimized specs for Google's software. Yes, its not the S800 quad-core 2.6GHZ with 5 gb of ram. So freakin' what?! The phone works! That Samcrap lag is gone! And on top of it, you get the benefits of an Android which is a more capable OS then iOS.

People really need to stop ********.

Sorry, but I disagree completely. Been there, done that. I can say very safely that I have owned more phones in a year that you likely have in the last 10 years. I am a tech enthusiast, been on the Palm (real Palm OS), BB, iphone, Windows Mobile, Windows Smarthpone, WIndows 7, 7.5, 8, Android 1.6 to current covering every type of device before there were smartphones to use.

Specs do matter, they may not matter to you but they do matter to a great many people. If you are happy with the "specs" on the Moto X, then I applaud your decision to make choices and sacrifices to get a phone that to me is sub par and not worth using. But that is my opinion, based on my usage and needs.

I want real power, swappable battery, microSD, 1080p HD display, 5-5.7" (GN3 all the way) I want a phone company who isn't hooked to Verizon for life (Droid).

It's ok to accept a mediocre device if that is what you want, but to say specs don't matter . . . well that's just nuts.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You don't seem to realize he provided that basic information for you,

Nope. You never quote 3 paragraphs of technical nonsense if you think the other person doesn't understand technology. People who REALLY know can explain it in very simple terms.

I'm sorry if he can't explain an SoC in one short sentence.

No, it's not.

So you agree with "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol", is that so?

You're the one demonstrating your lack of understanding on this topic, not them.

The topic I AM arguing is, "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol", that's what I am talking about which you and them keep side stepping because you know it is wrong.

The Chipset vs SoC definition is an argument that I wasn't having.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sure, why not, lets continue this ceaseless debate.

Enlighten me as to what, exactly, is from 2012 on the X?

You really need to do your research before posting that garbage.

Start with the 720p display, move to the 4.7" display, then move onto the lame 32GB with no microSD, continue to the processor from 2012 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro)and sealed battery. Now of course you will counter that no microSD and sealed battery are a popular 2013 trend, but actually Apple started that trend in 2007 so we can say this phone dates way, way back in time. Shall we continue.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Because its dual-core. Except guess what, to feed MY argument the iPhone 5 is dual-core, the iPhone 5S will be dual-core and probably the iPhone 6 will also.

Do you try to play WoW or use photoshop on your phone I dont understand? This "2012 phone" runs tasks people do DAILY on a mobile phone 100x faster and snappier then a "2013 phone" in the GS4

Why don't you just say Windows 8 is dual-core, yeah they finally got dual-core after single core phones that were crap. Just because Apple puts a crappy OS that iFans buy up for the iTunes and trendy hipster look doesn't make Dual-Core anything worth getting on a $550 phone. Its not high end specs for a high end price.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You never quote 3 paragraphs of technical nonsense if you think the other person doesn't understand technology. People who REALLY know can explain it in very simple terms.

I'm sorry if he can't explain an SoC in one short sentence.

So you agree with "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol", is that so?

You failed to explain it in one simple sentence like you said you could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Motorola isn't compensating. Specs for specs sake? Nope. Motorola's not in the measuring contest.

Based on Motorola's sales for the last 18 months I would say they can't measure up to anything. Their phones used to be hot stuff, not they are warm milk for old folks.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You failed to explain it in one simple sentence like you said you could.

No. YOU failed to. I was talking about "It doesn't have anything from 2012 lol". That's what I am talking about.

As far as System on Chip, it is exactly that. Only an ***** would post 3 paragraphs from Wikipedia to explain it to someone you believe doesn't understand technology. Your solution is to post a tremendously long technical Wiki article. haahahaha... and you're the expert here?

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you just say Windows 8 is dual-core, yeah they finally got dual-core after single core phones that were crap. Just because Apple puts a crappy OS that iFans buy up for the iTunes and trendy hipster look doesn't make Dual-Core anything worth getting on a $550 phone. Its not high end specs for a high end price.

If you're paying for something built in the USA, then it is priced about right. They can always take their manufacturing to slaves and sell it to you cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.