Moto X - How do you like the Google now feature?

flydi379

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I really love the idea of it and use it a lot for texting while driving... Unfortunately it works about 50 percent of the time. The rest of the time I have to say the activation phrase 3 times before it actually responds. Other times when I ask it to navigate somewhere it just pulls up a Google search... Anyone wanna share their experience with it?

Posted via Android Central App

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I really love the idea of it and use it a lot for texting while driving... Unfortunately it works about 50 percent of the time. The rest of the time I have to say the activation phrase 3 times before it actually responds. Other times when I ask it to navigate somewhere it just pulls up a Google search... Anyone wanna share their experience with it?

Try re-recording the phrase. It works for me pretty much every time. I wish it did things like turn on/off my wifi or bluetooth. I am also having issues with the location based reminders. If I tell it to remind me of something when I get home, it will set the reminder, but it won't actually automatically pop up unless I launch Google Now.

flydi379

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Try re-recording the phrase. It works for me pretty much every time. I wish it did things like turn on/off my wifi or bluetooth. I am also having issues with the location based reminders. If I tell it to remind me of something when I get home, it will set the reminder, but it won't actually automatically pop up unless I launch Google Now.

I did re record but I guess I can try again.. How that does the trick . I had major issues with reminders too. Didn't work for me at all. Now I just use the note app. But with the app I don't think you could set reminders for specific time with just voice, which is annoying

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I love it, especially since I'm in my car 2 hours a day. Like tk, I find that location based reminders aren't dependable, but that's a Google Now problem and not a Moto X problem. Time based reminders have worked for me every time. As for voice detection I find it works spot-on if in the idle state, but sometimes if it's already displaying the home screen it might not catch me. Overall it gets me about 90% of the time though. I also think I've gotten slightly worse performance after putting a TPU case on the phone even though the cutouts around all three mics are perfectly matched. May be nothing though.

After awaking to listen to me, it works best for me for web searches, questions like "who won the game last night" (I LOVE THIS and am getting addicted to it!), and "Start" commands for launching apps. Although it generally gets the right SMS name and starts composing correctly, it usually quits recording before I'm done dictating an SMS message. I find that tapping the voice recorder mic from they keyboard works remarkably better for this, but I'm not sure why unless they are using a different software on the back end. Plus, that still requires an additional few taps to get to, which defeats the point of touchless controls. However, the fact that both Touchless Controls and Google Now can be constantly upgraded via app updates makes me feel that these will only improve over my 2 years with the device.

If you are only getting 50% response, I'd agree that you need to definitely give re-training a try.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
it activates for me every time but only if im in a quiet surrounding or have the phone close to my mouth because im usually around loud areas all day. reminders/alerts work for me every single time. i love the "call (insert name) feature as well as the send text to (name) and dictate the message, only issue with that is u have to click send which im sure they can improve on/fix in the future.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I really, really, really wish we could have a custom awake phrase. The possibilities are endless. Besides, for the longest time I kept saying ' Hey Google Now' and getting upset when it wouldn't work. :)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
"The rest of the time I have to say the activation phrase 3 times before it actually responds."
an update to moto X is out there which could fix some of these issues. so wait for it

"Other times when I ask it to navigate somewhere it just pulls up a Google search... "
I believe Hummingbird could fix some of these issues

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you don't say the phrase robotically. Say it naturally. Mine works every time.

I was showing a friend at a BMX event yesterday with the PA's music going and it still worked with it in his hands and me sending commands to it. He had the most dumb founded look on his face. (He's a iPhone user)

This setup works so well I ordered the Nav dock so I can interact with it in drive mode more efficiently.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
"The rest of the time I have to say the activation phrase 3 times before it actually responds."
an update to moto X is out there which could fix some of these issues. so wait for it

"Other times when I ask it to navigate somewhere it just pulls up a Google search... "
I believe Hummingbird could fix some of these issues

What's Hummingbird?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
it activates for me every time but only if im in a quiet surrounding or have the phone close to my mouth because im usually around loud areas all day. reminders/alerts work for me every single time. i love the "call (insert name) feature as well as the send text to (name) and dictate the message, only issue with that is u have to click send which im sure they can improve on/fix in the future.

I think the issue with the sending automatically is often it gets the wrong contact. Google voice recognition for texts is so on point yet I've found with names you almost need to use a robotic tone or slow the speech down at times for it to pick up right. If it just sent it would go to the wrong place. They just need a confirm command.

If this is the correct contact and you would like to send say confirm.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the issue with the sending automatically is often it gets the wrong contact. Google voice recognition for texts is so on point yet I've found with names you almost need to use a robotic tone or slow the speech down at times for it to pick up right. If it just sent it would go to the wrong place. They just need a confirm command.

If this is the correct contact and you would like to send say confirm.

Agreed. I like the confirm feature for calls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress