Google now don't recognize voice dial but Google search does?

rspinell

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
If I say Google now dial wife it doesn't match and tries someone else. If I do same thing from Google search and say dial wife it does match and dials correctly. Anyone else seen this or have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Posted via Android Central App

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
My guess would be that "wife" is too short. I have all of my contacts - even my wife - listed with first and last names and I haven't had any problems using Google Now to automatically recognize the name and dial appropriately.

But on the difference between Google Now and Google search, I don't know why but the voice recognition I get from hitting the mic button is tons better than after I say "OK Google Now". Especially for dictating an SMS message. I'm not sure why, as I thought they'd use the same engine, but it's a very obvious performance difference.

rspinell

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response but I actually made it wife figuring it would work better since full name didn't work either. The weird thing is saying dial mistress works on both. Hey now!! Kidding of course. :)

I think your right Google search seems too be better at processing then Google now.

Posted via Android Central App

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, if full name didn't work then the only thing I can think of is that it's just having trouble understanding you for whatever reason. By chance do you have "Personalized Recognition" checked in the Google Now settings? It supposedly helps GN to better get familiar with your specific voice. I mumble a good bit, and it works pretty well overall for me (not perfect though). If you don't have that checked, you may want to try it. If you do have it checked and it's still not working reliably then I'm out of suggestions.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have not done so already, check for updates to your offline speech recognition. Mine needed updating very shortly after I got the phone and it has been surprisingly accurate in voice recognition. You can check to see if it needs the update by going into your general settings, scroll down and select language and input, then select the settings button beside Google voice typing, on the resulting screen select offline speech recognition. This will open a new screen displaying your language of choice, if you need an update it will be indicated under the selected language. You will also have three tabs at the top (installed, all and auto update). If you go to the auto update tab you can select to have updates downloaded automatically.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87