Moto X KitKat differences & issues

V10MPower

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
For those using Tasker, the ability to toggle GPS ON and OFF is taken away with KitKat. Which kinda sucks b/c I was using Tasker to turn GPS ON when connected to the car's Bluetooth so that Motorola Assist Driving mode will kick in and read text messages. Now, it won't turn on GPS, so the Assist for Driving is dead unless I manually turn on GPS (Driving Assist was dependent on GPS being ON, so auto toggling GPS would be almost like an ON / OFF switch for Driving Assist.

BTMono ON / OFF via Tasker was killed off when Google decided to use Google Seach and Voice Control update via Play Store. Now Tasker will not consistently recognize when those apps are launched to Turn on BTMono. It was working fine before the apps migrated to Play Store. BTMono was actually broadcasting any questions you asked it thru the car's speakers via Bluetooth (Ok Google Now, how old is Mike Tyson?) and all Nav instructions. Now no more as well.

As far as the Camera is concerned, I think the new drag to focus is stupid. The previous was of touching anything to focus and snap makes more sense and is faster. Now you have to open camera, hold and drag the circle then tap again for pic. And even when you waited for the HUD to turn green, shot-to-shot is still inconsistent as far as exposure goes.

Honestly, there aren't that many changes or features in KitKat vs Jelly. Some changes for the sake of change, white instead of blue (which makes it a little harder to read since the Notification bar is transparent and the white graphics sometimes blend in and battery life is about the same after a day's use. I had no problems with bugs / crashes / lag before on Jelly, so no difference in that. All in all, at least initial impressions, KitKat was hyped more than it delivered for me.

However, the album art on lock screen is really cool though. And the update didn't cause any crashes or black pauses for the Active Notif's, which I guess I lucked out. The notification settings have some more options on pull down, which is good.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For those using Tasker, the ability to toggle GPS ON and OFF is taken away with KitKat. Which kinda sucks b/c I was using Tasker to turn GPS ON when connected to the car's Bluetooth so that Motorola Assist Driving mode will kick in and read text messages. Now, it won't turn on GPS, so the Assist for Driving is dead unless I manually turn on GPS (Driving Assist was dependent on GPS being ON, so auto toggling GPS would be almost like an ON / OFF switch for Driving Assist.

BTMono ON / OFF via Tasker was killed off when Google decided to use Google Seach and Voice Control update via Play Store. Now Tasker will not consistently recognize when those apps are launched to Turn on BTMono. It was working fine before the apps migrated to Play Store. BTMono was actually broadcasting any questions you asked it thru the car's speakers via Bluetooth (Ok Google Now, how old is Mike Tyson?) and all Nav instructions. Now no more as well.

As far as the Camera is concerned, I think the new drag to focus is stupid. The previous was of touching anything to focus and snap makes more sense and is faster. Now you have to open camera, hold and drag the circle then tap again for pic. And even when you waited for the HUD to turn green, shot-to-shot is still inconsistent as far as exposure goes.

Honestly, there aren't that many changes or features in KitKat vs Jelly. Some changes for the sake of change, white instead of blue (which makes it a little harder to read since the Notification bar is transparent and the white graphics sometimes blend in and battery life is about the same after a day's use. I had no problems with bugs / crashes / lag before on Jelly, so no difference in that. All in all, at least initial impressions, KitKat was hyped more than it delivered for me.

However, the album art on lock screen is really cool though. And the update didn't cause any crashes or black pauses for the Active Notif's, which I guess I lucked out. The notification settings have some more options on pull down, which is good.

Just curious, what's the advantage to having GPS off? Is that a battery life savings thing or a privacy thing or something else?

V10MPower

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, what's the advantage to having GPS off? Is that a battery life savings thing or a privacy thing or something else?

Yes on both points. The advantage of GPS ON all the time is that you can locate your phone via Cerberus or Android Device Mgr if lost or whatever. On MotoX JB, I can send a text to myself with a certain trigger phrase that can toggle GPS ON, Lock Screen, Alarm, Msg for who found phone, etc. Now, I can't SMS to toggle GPS ON or OFF. So GPS stays off for me now after KitKat.

bat014

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the Nexus 5 Kit Kat GAPP zips from Droid Life & the GEL launcher & new dialer work fine!

Sent from my Moto X!

blancoal

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this sucks. I like having the GPS turn on automatically in the car too. I gotta imagine the automation apps will catch up and support the new settings in kit kat. I was using automateit. I'll switch to whichever app updates first, so if anyone finds one that does, let me/us know.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this sucks. I like having the GPS turn on automatically in the car too. I gotta imagine the automation apps will catch up and support the new settings in kit kat. I was using automateit. I'll switch to whichever app updates first, so if anyone finds one that does, let me/us know.

Why not use an NFC tag? I have one stuck to the center console to turn on bluetooth. GPS is always on for me, no issues with battery at all.

V10MPower

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

It's a KitKat thing. No app can toggle GPS anymore unless you are rooted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non