this sim card is from an unknown source Moto X CDMA Verizon

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
All Verizon LTE phones by FCC agreement have to be SIM unlocked. It was a deal that was worked out when Verizon bought a type of spectrum band. Can't remember which one, I think 700, not sure. So all LTE phones are global ready or of the box.

Did you try going into the settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks and making sure it's set to global and not CDMA? There is also a LTE/GSM/US choice. I would try global first.

Posted via Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All Verizon LTE phones by FCC agreement have to be SIM unlocked. It was a deal that was worked out when Verizon bought a type of spectrum band. Can't remember which one, I think 700, not sure. So all LTE phones are global ready or of the box.

Did you try going into the settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks and making sure it's set to global and not CDMA? There is also a LTE/GSM/US choice. I would try global first.

I don't believe that's quite right. I believe the contingency was that Verizon had to make the spectrum they purchased usable within a certain % by a certain time frame and also make it avail for roaming at a reasonable rate to other carriers. I don't think their was any terms stating they must make their mobile phones SIM unlocked.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe that's quite right. I believe the contingency was that Verizon had to make the spectrum they purchased usable within a certain % by a certain time frame and also make it avail for roaming at a reasonable rate to other carriers. I don't think their was any terms stating they must make their mobile phones SIM unlocked.

Edit: I'm wrong! The purchase in 2008 of the 700mhz deal was to unlock. I was thinking of the most recent deal in 2012.

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
SO heres the deal.
1. When I put my Vodafone SIM in the phone and reboot, it gives the error of "this sim card is from an unknown source". Now even though it gives this error I see Network Bars and I can access internet.
2. I cannot make voice calls at all i can just access data packets
3. I have tried both Global and LTE/GSM setting the phone works in neither mode
4. Have tried adding APN setting but phone does not allow them to be saved.

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried another SIM besides Vodafone? I've heard that some companies cards can be wonky and not work properly.

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
It's nice not to have to go to them now and beg to unlock the phone and then be stuck using their overpriced international plan. By brother in law had an Incredible 2 global phone and was moving to Costa Rica. Verizon refused to unlock the phone even though his contract was up. I stay with them because of their signal in my area, but some of the stuff they do makes me shake my head.

nathanc125

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a unlocked verizon moto x and it is currently working Straight Talk's BYOP AT&T program... I do get the sim card error but I press OK and it works just fine... I agree with the above posters, it is not the phone, it is your APN.

However, I still can't get MMS working...

sunny kumar3

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
hi brother, did you get any solution of this issue, since I am facing the same.
It will be very helpful if you share your experience of tackling with this problem.
I am also able to access internet but when it comes to phone call it shows the
same message.
thanks for quick reply.

ravi kang

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
go to Dialer settings(press dial icon then press 3 dots on right hand bottom page and it will pop up with settings at the bottom) then go to assisted dialing and turn it off.make sure the tick box is not ticked.now you can use it to dial any number.
problem is that because the phone is from usa it automatically inserts the country code before any number you dial so you have to turn it off.

Ignore this message -"this sim card is from an unknown source".

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I recently bought a no-contract MOTO X CDMA Verizon. I am trying to use it with my Vodafone India SIM, but as soon as I insert this SIM and start the phone I get the following error
"this sim card is from an unknown source"
I contacted Motorola and Verizon and both of them said that this is an unlocked phone and it should work globally.
Verizon Moto X is GSM SIM unlocked with the following specs:

2G/2.5G GSM/GPRS/EDGE bands
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

3G UMTS bands
850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B2/B1)

3G CDMA bands
EVDO Rev. A: 850/1900 MHz (BC0/BC1)

4G LTE bands
750 MHz (B13)

When I start the phone get the above error but I still see Vodafone network and HSPA+ sign. When I try to make a call I get "mobile network not available" error.

Please help I really like this phone and would like to use it here too.
What does Vodafone say when you call them?

nimiaj

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Sumitchat I was in India few weeks back and experienced the same issue. Full 3g data but no calling service. I was unable to do anything while there, but after I came back I called Global Support for Verizon, and got to talk to a guy who knew (atleast I felt!) what he was talking about. According to him, even though we are on a 3g service, the sim card needs to be a 4g compatible sim card. He said that the ICCID of a 3g generation sim card is 18 digits, whereas the ICCID of a 4g gen SIM card is 20 digits. The Moto X is trying to read a 20 digit ICCID. Now how much truth in this, I don't know, but if you are in India, can you see if Vodafone support can get you a nano sim which has a 20 digit ICC ID?

So basically, according to the support guy there is a technical difference in the sim cards.

sumitchat

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a ton for this response. I will try and find out this from them.But as far as I know Vodafone does not have a 4G set up right now..

mrpickem

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I have problem with Verizon Moto X too. I am using H2O sim and I get sim error but click ok and voice works great, No data because it will not allow me to save APN. I have enter the APN numerous times as new APN but everytime I hit save it is not there. I have tried on both Global & LTE/GSM/UMTS with no luck. H2O is not LTE anyways, I would just like to get the HSPA data.

Have searched a lot on net without success.

Any ideas? I think maybe the phone needs root to be able to edit/save APN's. I am not currently rooted and it seems a bit of a pain.

Chintan Kamdar

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a theory of what the problem could be. Since the phone is bought in the US, the imei no. Is not updated in the database of the Indian carriers, so idea, airtel,Vodafone etc are not registering these phones.

I m facing the same problem with my Verizon moto x for my idea Sim, i.e. I can access the data but unable to make or receive calls and for my airtel Sim even the network is not shown.

I had faced this same problem for my RAZR m bought from the US and after 2-3 months it started working on its own. So I guess you will just have to be patient. If u find any other solution do let me know.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
First, don't worry about the error message. In my own research, that's normal. Also, are you using a prepaid SIM? If so, and I hate to state the obvious, but are you sure voice is enabled on that SIM and not just Data?

I mean, go beyond what you think you bought or what you should have been sold. Double check with the SIM's carrier.

I don't have a link in front of me right now, but I read something the other day that said some carriers would ask you to input a code after you put the SIM in (at least in Mexico, I believe). It's a one shot deal and if you skip it, it can lock the SIM up and you have to get another.

I'll try to go back and pull the info up and post it here. I think I bookmarked it, but no promises. ;)

Azeem_00

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
What you said sounds like a valid argument. Even in the U.S. when you buy a new phone you can't just activate it by putting a SIM inside, you would have to let your carrier know the new IMEI number of the phone so the same logic probably applies in another country including India.

jatinder U

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Moto X CDMA Verizon being used on Reliance CDMA network. The cal log and phone book comes blank for few mins.....there is a lag in accessing the call log and contracts of phone book. Can some one guide please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa