Moto X: terrible battery life on standby

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X terrible battery life on standby

Does it sit idle a lot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

For the most part yes.

EDIT: Was just doing some research on this and noticed some people were talking about facbook using alot of the battery in the Android OS. I removed Facebook and am now at 13% on Android OS istead of the 48%. I will give it some time but I can't imagine just facebook cause all that.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

For the most part yes.

EDIT: Was just doing some research on this and noticed some people were talking about facbook using alot of the battery in the Android OS. I removed Facebook and am now at 13% on Android OS istead of the 48%. I will give it some time but I can't imagine just facebook cause all that.

Best thing to do is leave it off, and see what happens.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Update
Sync Off (mobile data On), WiFi off, Bluetooth off, connected to 4g LTE, always listening On, GPS toggle on
3h 30min off the charger battery at 98%
4h - 97%
Note 3 had all of it's Samsung features off and same connections off as Moto X
3h 30min - 97%
4h - 97%
To be fair the screen was on for about min longer :)

Posted via Android Central App
VZW Moto X

Last edited:

seagood3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have noticed significant battery drain lately. When I first started using the Moto X I was getting 24-30 hours easily with moderate use. Generally I will only have 1-2 hours of screen time. Now with the same usage I am only getting 12-15. I have noticed that Android Kernal is the main offender, but don't know what that is.
  • Not Rooted
  • Screen brightness 50%-60%
  • Notifications turned off on all apps
  • Don't even have that many apps that I use
  • No gaming

I have attached screen shots from Gsam:
Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-12-47.png
Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-13-14.png
Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-13-30.png
Screenshot_2014-02-24-22-13-41.png

What gives?????

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm still new to Android but looks like 62% of battery drain is from App usage, so you are either using one or more battery hog apps a lot or one has gone haywire. I find that generally the Screen is by far the largest battery suck.

Also try putting your screen brightness on Auto. I find that the screen is generally more bright than I need it, even doing that.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have not - what exactly is that?

It clears system cached files that can often lead to lag and sometimes the kernel overworking because it is getting conflicted codes.
I never booted into stock recovery. I flashed a custom one after rooting and opened a power down menu option to reboot there.
This should work: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

somfw

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

You probably have a lot of stuff running that doesn't need to be, Including Motorola and carrier bloat.
Since 4.4.2 hit Verizon My Stone Stock android is getting amazing Battery life (For an Android small Battery device) that is.
There are certain things that must be done to every Moto x and androids to get usable battery life. Most on these forums will argue against them, but the numbers speak for themselves. None of them require Rooting, unlocking bootloaders, Custom Roms or worthless battery apps etc.
34 Hours off power
10% Battery life left
49 Minutes of GPS
1 hour 14 minutes music streaming
32 minutes on the phone
And 6 Hours 37 minutes of Screen on time!
I forgot to take the history details screen shot, so I took it 2 hours later while the phone was recharging/ Which is why the over all time went from 1D 9H 54M to 1D 10H 34M and why the clock goes from 11:45 to 1:26 and the battery from 10% to 26%
Screenshot_2014-03-05-01-26-34.pngScreenshot_2014-03-04-23-44-58.pngScreenshot_2014-03-04-23-45-02.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-04-20-55-41.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-04-20-55-41.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 41

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I am sad.

Android OS was never like this before 4.4.2.
ugu6utur.jpg

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

My Android OS was doing the same thing. I just uninstalled Facebook and it dropped to about 18% then went back up to around 30%, still better then what it was.

Yeah I saw that earlier in this thread. I think I'll do the same and see how it works. I think there was a recent Facebook update, too...that may have introduced this bug.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

You probably have a lot of stuff running that doesn't need to be, Including Motorola and carrier bloat.
Since 4.4.2 hit Verizon My Stone Stock android is getting amazing Battery life (For an Android small Battery device) that is.
There are certain things that must be done to every Moto x and androids to get usable battery life. Most on these forums will argue against them, but the numbers speak for themselves. None of them require Rooting, unlocking bootloaders, Custom Roms or worthless battery apps etc.
34 Hours off power
10% Battery life left
49 Minutes of GPS
1 hour 14 minutes music streaming
32 minutes on the phone
And 6 Hours 37 minutes of Screen on time!
I forgot to take the history details screen shot, so I took it 2 hours later while the phone was recharging/ Which is why the over all time went from 1D 9H 54M to 1D 10H 34M and why the clock goes from 11:45 to 1:26 and the battery from 10% to 26%

Yeah...but from reading your posts it looks like you disable almost everything that makes the Moto X special. What is the point in that? If you don't use those features, sure fine go ahead but most people probably enjoy using Google Now, Active Display, Touchless controls, etc.

seagood3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It clears system cached files that can often lead to lag and sometimes the kernel overworking because it is getting conflicted codes.
I never booted into stock recovery. I flashed a custom one after rooting and opened a power down menu option to reboot there.
This should work: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

I have performed the partition wipe, so hopefully that works. I just don't get why my phone would be performing so poorly. I am fairly tech savvy, and have checked most of the common sense things. The fact that I am only able to get 1 hour of screen time, have few apps that are updating in the background and getting poor battery life is troubling. One of the major reason I purchased this phone was so that I wouldn't have to worry about battery life, especially since I am a fairly light user of the phone during my day.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have performed the partition wipe, so hopefully that works. I just don't get why my phone would be performing so poorly. I am fairly tech savvy, and have checked most of the common sense things. The fact that I am only able to get 1 hour of screen time, have few apps that are updating in the background and getting poor battery life is troubling. One of the major reason I purchased this phone was so that I wouldn't have to worry about battery life, especially since I am a fairly light user of the phone during my day.

Conflicts that happen with the cached data can cause reduced battery life. The OS gets confused and spends more time and power trying to do what you and it wants to do.

Joe Maffei

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

I improved my Battery from 6-8 hours to 18+. I am using battery doctor but the biggest change was using K-9 for my 4 non-google email accounts. Not sure why but the stock email client was a huge drain.

I In addition to the battery K-9 allows single-line per mail in your inbox so I can see my last 15 emails without having to scroll.

techwxy

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I also have the same problem as the OP. Terrible standby battery (2-3% per hour), note I did not mention terrible battery from normal use, just standby, which is what this thread is about. Android OS takes majority part of the battery from the stats.

A lot of people on this thread keeps on saying they get 18+ hours of battery, and they're satisfied. That's not the whole point here. I can also get 18+ hours or even 20 hours + battery, but that is not good enough if you barely used the phone during that period. It appears this phone will get that number of hours whether you use it or have it standby. So to conclude, the Moto X has excellent battery life while in use, but terrible battery life while standby.

While all solutions don't seem to fix this problem, I believe its root problem is within Android 4.4.2. I had similar issue with Nexus 7 on Android 4.4.2, which is barely usable, because its standby battery life was so horrible. As soon as I updated it to 4.4.3, the problem was resolved, once again, I can turn on the tablet in the next few days, and still see it has 90%+ battery left.

Now lets hope Verizon will soon deliver 4.4.3, or 4.4.4 to us.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Like I always say, it's usually an app issue for most people. Maybe your battery needs calibration. Here's my current charge.

Currently, I've been @ 1% for about 20 minutes. I'm draining this puppy all the way then recharging. I have zero complaints.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 11372.jpg
    11372.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 11373.jpg
    11373.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 96

Ruchir Tondon

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
i would like to know if all these battery bugs or what ever issues mentioned on this thread have been fixed coz i intend to buy this phone but after having these mixed reviews about the battery life i'm sort of confused.. can anybody help me out

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i would like to know if all these battery bugs or what ever issues mentioned on this thread have been fixed coz i intend to buy this phone but after having these mixed reviews about the battery life i'm sort of confused.. can anybody help me out

The battery should be better than many others. When there are problems, it is generally due to a misbehaving app or a poor network causing the radios to continually lose signal and rescan.

For standby battery, users can try switching to ART. And if you have a major battery problem, try to investigate which apps are using the battery the most. Usually it's something like Facebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87