I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

I'm willing to bet the new nexus camera won't be as good as the Pure even with OIS. I don't consider the 810 an advantage over the 808. It will be interesting to see how the screens compare. Battery life will likely be better for the nexus with a bigger battery. Nexus will get the fastest updates. Moto has a few nice enhancements. It just depends on what matters to you.

I tend to agree with you. Though I have heard the new Nexus 6 might be 5.7 so now I might go with that since it will be the same size. I figure I can wait another week to purchase the Moto X Pure. I have to admit though I doubt the new Nexus 6 will be priced as nicely as the Moto X Pure Edition.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I don't have any big games. I'm still on the fence about 16 or 32. I'm leaning toward 32 because as you say everything seems to get bigger over time. Including, I assume, marshmallow vs lollipop/kitkat?

Posted via the Android Central App

IMO, 32GB should be the base version at this point in time and space for all smart phones.

My 32GB GS4 currently has 12.68GB remaining (no games, no music, no videos and I keep my media on my SD card). My SD card has 49GB available of 59.45GB total (64GB card), so I've used just over 10GB for photos and a few videos I've taken).

Without the SD card option, I'd have less than 3GB remaining. My next phone will have to be at least a 64GB phone unless I have the option of using an SD card. And with an SD card, I won't consider anything less than a 32GB model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-10-22-02 480x640.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-10-22-02 480x640.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 143

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

IMO, 32GB should be the base version at this point in time and space for all smart phones.

My 32GB GS4 currently has 12.68GB remaining (no games, no music, no videos and I keep my media on my SD card). My SD card has 49GB available of 59.45GB total (64GB card), so I've used just over 10GB for photos and a few videos I've taken).

Without the SD card option, I'd have less than 3GB remaining. My next phone will have to be at least a 64GB phone unless I have the option of using an SD card. And with an SD card, I won't consider anything less than a 32GB model.

Understandable but the Galaxy lines have a ton of bloat within them (from Samsung and the carriers) hence why Samsung went to 32 GB. At one point when they offered 16 GB people were getting phones with 7 GB free before they did anything. The Moto doesn't have bloat (unless you count their .. 3 apps IIRC?). It is a the OS taking up the size.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Yeah I am debating on getting the 32GB vs 64GB. I figure I can just get a 64GB or 128GB SD Card and that should be enough. I can buy a 64GB SD card cheaper than going from the 32GB to the 64GB model.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Understandable but the Galaxy lines have a ton of bloat within them (from Samsung and the carriers) hence why Samsung went to 32 GB. At one point when they offered 16 GB people were getting phones with 7 GB free before they did anything. The Moto doesn't have bloat (unless you count their .. 3 apps IIRC?). It is a the OS taking up the size.

Au contraire, mon ami! When Samsung came out with the Galaxy S5 the following year, only the 16GB model was ever available for sale... which killed any consideration from me.

And of course the S6 is a totally different phone than the prior Galaxies. I value the ability to swap batteries and use external SD cards. So Samsung has left me. I am intrigued by the Moto X Pure and the forthcoming Nexus... but am still somewhat put off by the permanent battery, lack of OIS, and a few other relatively minor issues (LED notification). I am also not a fan of the 810 SoC.

So If I had to replace my current GS4 today, I really don't know what phone I would choose.

Edit: I agree about the bloat. And I've debloated quite a bit to get to where I am now! Which also raises the question a poster just down from me asked about the free space difference in 64GB versions of the Note 5 vs the Moto X Pure.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

There have been reports here that the 64gb Note 5 has 4GB MORE free space out of the box than the 64GB Moto X Pure right out of the box. Both are running 5.1.x. Which one has more bloat?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

There have been reports here that the 64gb Note 5 has 4GB MORE free space out of the box than the 64GB Moto X Pure right out of the box. Both are running 5.1.x. Which one has more bloat?

The Note still has more bloat. I am not sure why this would be the case but it definitely isn't due to 20+ Moto apps being installed like on a Samsung.

greg5524

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

My 32GB GS4 currently has 12.68GB remaining (no games, no music, no videos and I keep my media on my SD card).

If be curious to see what type of stuff takes up space for you. Here's mine:

Attachments

• FlashAnnotate.jpg
    FlashAnnotate.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 134

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I considered the 32gb but then figured why quibble over $50 and went with the 64gb, I'm going to have this phone at least until all 18 payments are made on the Moto credit no interest plan so for me it was an easy choice.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

If be curious to see what type of stuff takes up space for you. Here's mine:

I'd be happy to oblige if I knew what app you used to generate that image. That doesn't come on my AT&T version of the Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.1.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Au contraire, mon ami! When Samsung came out with the Galaxy S5 the following year, only the 16GB model was ever available for sale... which killed any consideration from me.

And of course the S6 is a totally different phone than the prior Galaxies. I value the ability to swap batteries and use external SD cards. So Samsung has left me. I am intrigued by the Moto X Pure and the forthcoming Nexus... but am still somewhat put off by the permanent battery, lack of OIS, and a few other relatively minor issues (LED notification). I am also not a fan of the 810 SoC.

So If I had to replace my current GS4 today, I really don't know what phone I would choose.

Edit: I agree about the bloat. And I've debloated quite a bit to get to where I am now! Which also raises the question a poster just down from me asked about the free space difference in 64GB versions of the Note 5 vs the Moto X Pure.

From the few videos I have seen and images it doesn't seem like the lack of OIS is a bad thing. Maybe someone with the phone can chime in about the OIS.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Ah yes. Here you go. (strangely, Play says that was installed on my GS4. I must have not re-installed it last time I did a FDR).

There are some images on my internal storage. I can't redirect screenshots automatically to my SD card. I get lazy and don't often think to manually move them, but do from time to time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-48-15 480x640.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-11-48-15 480x640.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 132

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Ah yes. Here you go. (strangely, Play says that was installed on my GS4. I must have not re-installed it last time I did a FDR).

Yeah it said it was installed on my Nexus 5 but it wasn't. I think it just checks if you have ever installed the app.

My issue with my Nexus 5 is that it is showing as a 16GB version when it is really a 32GB version. There seems to be a bug somewhere in the software that causes this. The only solution is to do a full reset :\

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

From the few videos I have seen and images it doesn't seem like the lack of OIS is a bad thing. Maybe someone with the phone can chime in about the OIS.

Good point. That may be a minor and not a major shortcoming then. I haven't seen (or looked for) any images by the Moto X Pure yet. But am watching this thread out of interest. It would certainly be one option to minimize the carrier bloat.

I really can't fault my GS4 at the moment, although it does lag a bit... which does irritate me. But I have it pretty heavily loaded too. I'm curious how a current flagship would perform similarly loaded.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Good point. That may be a minor and not a major shortcoming then. I haven't seen (or looked for) any images by the Moto X Pure yet. But am watching this thread out of interest. It would certainly be one option to minimize the carrier bloat.

I really can't fault my GS4 at the moment, although it does lag a bit... which does irritate me. But I have it pretty heavily loaded too. I'm curious how a current flagship would perform similarly loaded.

Yeah I have the Nexus 5 and it works "fine". It is starting to lag but if I reset it seems to work just fine.

Here are some video samples:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...moto-x-style-4k-video-sample.html#post4658156

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...8-filming-concert-my-moto-x-pure-edition.html

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pure love! Confessions of a Note 4 owner.

As a fellow Note 2 user, I'm really eager to see if you like this device.
I'll post up a small review once I have it in hand. Pretty much anything is an upgrade at this point. The Note 2 was nice, but now mine has all sorts of glitches, especially with the contacts and phone coordination. Plus it just sometimes locks up and I have to pull the battery to get it to reboot.

Honestly, I thought I would love the stylus, but I have maybe used it 5-10 times at most. The speaker on the Note 2 sucks too. But, most importantly, the 16g internal memory is way too low. I do use an external card, but I'm constantly deleting things or it gives me a memory full notice and things lag. That's why I went with the 64g Pure. I'll still keep movies and music on the card, but I'll have a LOT more space to breath now.

Tomorrow is the due date. We'll see if it arrives. I'm excited!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, The opening in the Incipio DualPro is large enough for the Turbo plug

The Turbo plug is fine, since it has a very narrow casing around the connector. However, most of the cables I've used have a little wider casing around the connector and won't allow those to insert all the way into the phone with the bumper installed.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

The Turbo plug is fine, since it has a very narrow casing around the connector. However, most of the cables I've used have a little wider casing around the connector and won't allow those to insert all the way into the phone with the bumper installed.

I've tried 4 other cables from misc chargers I have around and they all fit fine. I do have a real wide one that I can't locate right now which probably wouldn't fit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles