What micro SD card are you using with your Moto X Pure Edition?

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Best SD Card for Moto XP?

My first response above was a bit of tongue-in-cheek...but it is the best card out there if you need the space.

That's the first question you need to ask...how much space do you want/need? Everyone has different needs. Some of the posters above say they have more than enough space with a 64GB card. My wife uses a 32GB card and hardly uses any of it. I have a 128GB card currently and only have 2GB available. I store a lot of stuff for work and need quick access to it and I don't want to rely on the cloud.

As for brand...Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Lexar are all good brands. Sony is OK but seems to have more problems. The "lesser" tiers are Patriot, Transcend, PNY...cheaper than the others but people have had a lot of success with them but they are also a little slower and more prone to problems. Avoid the "off-off" brands like Santin, MIC and other strange names. Always check the reviews on Amazon and other places.

Even good brands have problems. Two years ago Sandisk had a batch of bad 64GB cards that constantly unmounted. I went through three cards before buying a Samsung instead. And even the off-brand cards perform well for many people as I'm sure someone will come up and say, "I've been using a Santin card for years with no problems...it's a great card."

As for "ultra" and "extreme"...they are just faster cards. You also may see things like class 2,4, 8,10 or even UHS classes. 10 is the fastest at 10MB/s (same as class 1 UHS). Faster card means faster read/write for videos or if you are storing apps on your card. I would go middle of the road with a "ultra" (which, I believe, is a Sandisk designation).

More interesting info here: SD card showdown: Testing the SanDisk Extreme | Android Central

Thank you! Very helpful!

I am hoping I will be able to store apps on my card if necessary - but mostly pictures, I'm not much of a music collector. But I thought I heard we'll have to wait for 6.0 to be able to put apps on a SD card?

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

IMO no reason not to get a 128GB card- especially if you plan on using adoptive storage with Marshmallow. You have to essentially start from scratch if you decide on upgrading the size later. The card is encrypted and can not be copied to another card once formatted as adoptive. This also means you have stranded apps and will need to reinstall most stuff if you have a 16GB MXPE now.

200GB card is a good investment if you are a media hound. Leaving mine as media storage only though, since have the 64GB MXPE.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Yea, I should have gotten a larger SD, but with the price of a good card I really should have gone ahead and ordered at least a 32 GB phone. Didn't think about that at the time ...would have cost $50 more but even the 32 GB card was $20.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Amazon.com: November 16th Deal Of The Day: Electronics

Amazon has some good prices on PNY (32/64/128) cards today as part of the Deal of the Day. Not super prices but pretty good.

I have the 64GB PNY card and it works just great. I don't plan on using it as adoptive storage, simply to many things could go wrong from bugs to card issues for me to treat it as fully encrypted phone storage, but so far for just music and videos and pictures it works just fine.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought the card listed below on Amazon weeks before I bought the MXPE. Despite the heading, it is a UHS-3 card with max 90MB/s transfer speeds.

I agree with the poster that said anything "Ultra" (Sandisk's term) level or equivalent will work well. But I wanted one super fast card in my arsenal.

SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013CP5IW...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4835750

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding, downloading apps and running those apps on microsd cards will create problems, such as lag and etc. However, android marshmallow will change that. It will allow microsd cards to act like internal storage.

I was going through my apps from the "apps" menu in settings. I noticed that some apps gave the option to "move to SD card." I moved Facebook, Messenger, and Flipboard - all of which are huge apps - and they all continue to work as they did before. I was glad to get those behemoths out of my phone's internal storage.

max1001

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the PNY 64GB Turbo U3 card mentioned in post #2 and it screams with the MXPE. (Make sure you get the Turbo and not the High, as there is a speed difference).

Can you please run the androbench app from Play Store and select the MicroSD as the source and provide the result? I would like to know the random IO ISOP.

kfh227

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Can someone get an SD card benchmarking app and run it to see what the transfer rate of their card is? I want to know what the Moto X and Moto G do performance wise.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Yes. Apps are not meant to be on the SD card. There are ways to do it, but while you'll find people on various forums who swear by it, I've found that every single time, it's exactly when issues arise on the phone. As soon as you start putting apps on the SD card. There are rumors going around that Android M will handle things differently and treat all storage as one storage space, so then you'd assume it would maybe be more OK? But that's just speculation. So as the phone ships, 16gb (less really... I'm not sure how much of that is actually usable) is all you'll ever have for actual apps. The SD card can get everything else... Music, pictures, etc etc.

I never had any issue's running apps off the SD card other than taking a few seconds to initially load.

I ended up ordering a SanDisk Extreme 32GB. I think it will be enough for me , we'll see. Thanks all!

Same here... SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB and is as fast as anyone really needs. I can tranfer 100 high quality pics from phone to card in about 30sec. This is fine.

I don't do video's or games and keep music to minimum with all the free streaming services.

32GB phone + 32GB card is more than I'll ever need. I like the card because I can remove it and it is faster to copy onto PC than using cable to phone. This is why I didn't go with just the 64GB phone.

JavaNoire

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Question...How each is it to swap out sd cards on the MXPE?

Years ago I had an LG Rhythm. The sd cards could be swapped out from an easily accessed slot on the top of the phone. That alone made the phone invaluable for me because I loaded up multiple cards with various genres of music & swapped em out with no need to remove the back cover & take out the battery.

Even earlier, every PDA I had featured this accessibility.

I love my Notes 3 & 4 but it's disappointing that they lack easy swapping which (for me at least) blunts the usefulness of expandable storage.

Also, I'm among those that puts apps on my SD cards whenever possible. Some apps take an extra second or two to open but otherwise perform just the same. This keeps space available for anything that must use internal storage & helps tio keep the phone's performance optimal. For this reason, even with expandable storage, I prefer the larger capacity phones.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Question...How each is it to swap out sd cards on the MXPE?

Years ago I had an LG Rhythm. The sd cards could be swapped out from an easily accessed slot on the top of the phone. That alone made the phone invaluable for me because I loaded up multiple cards with various genres of music & swapped em out with no need to remove the back cover & take out the battery.

Even earlier, every PDA I had featured this accessibility.

I love my Notes 3 & 4 but it's disappointing that they lack easy swapping which (for me at least) blunts the usefulness of expandable storage.

Also, I'm among those that puts apps on my SD cards whenever possible. Some apps take an extra second or two to open but otherwise perform just the same. This keeps space available for anything that must use internal storage & helps tio keep the phone's performance optimal. For this reason, even with expandable storage, I prefer the larger capacity phones.

Well, the sim/SD card tray is at the top of the phone, so it is easy to access and the tray removal tool provided by Motorola works great.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any problem with the card. I've only had it for a couple weeks. It's as fast as I need it to be.