What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

So to beat the dead horse one last time, tonight I finished dinner, cleaned up, and came back into the living room where my phone stayed while I cooked and ate. The screen wasn't doing anything and didn't until I tapped it. The left icon was a cloud icon. to make sure I know it's cloudy I guess even though there's not a single cloud in the sky. The middle one was a Dropbox icon to let me know a file had been uploaded and synced; good there. And the ellipsis icon, I knew, meant less important notifications were there. And it turned out that's really screwed up, because the hidden notifications were a phone call and a voicemail. The idiots who designed this system think the weather's more important than a phone call or a voicemail, and that's why even if I bought into this notification scheme, it would still be broken. It's a phone and it hides phone notifications to give me the wrong weather.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

So to beat the dead horse one last time, tonight I finished dinner, cleaned up, and came back into the living room where my phone stayed while I cooked and ate. The screen wasn't doing anything and didn't until I tapped it. The left icon was a cloud icon. to make sure I know it's cloudy I guess even though there's not a single cloud in the sky. The middle one was a Dropbox icon to let me know a file had been uploaded and synced; good there. And the ellipsis icon, I knew, meant less important notifications were there. And it turned out that's really screwed up, because the hidden notifications were a phone call and a voicemail. The idiots who designed this system think the weather's more important than a phone call or a voicemail, and that's why even if I bought into this notification scheme, it would still be broken. It's a phone and it hides phone notifications to give me the wrong weather.

I didnt know the notifications had priorities

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Are the notifications based on priority or in order (or possibly reverse order) of receipt?

cathain

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Whatever the perceived shortcomings are, I doubt most people that complained in this thread are going to actually return the phone because of what they've listed here.

I'm not getting the phone at all because of what I read in this thread!

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

You know what I hate? I hate that I can't buy it because Motorola felt that Canadians aren't worthy enough to purchase their flagship phone or something. No way I'm giving them my money for the 16GB trash that is the Moto X Play.

Posted via the Android Central App

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm not getting the phone at all because of what I read in this thread!
Ditto that. Between this thread and the battery life thread, I've seen enough to know this phone won't make me a happy camper.

Supposedly the Turbo 2 is just around the corner, so I'll see what that has to offer.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Ditto that. Between this thread and the battery life thread, I've seen enough to know this phone won't make me a happy camper.

Supposedly the Turbo 2 is just around the corner, so I'll see what that has to offer.

I think you are missing out on a sweet device IMO. Perhaps try one from Best Buy and return it if you do not like it :)

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I think you are missing out on a sweet device IMO. Perhaps try one from Best Buy and return it if you do not like it :)
Well that's what I'm trying to avoid, which is why I'm so interested in this thread.

I'm glad you like yours, but all the main complaints are about the things that are most important to me: size, notifications, and battery. After being spoiled by all-day-every-day battery life, I can never go back to being tied to a charger (my 2-1/2 year-old Razr Maxx HD still has better battery life than the very best reports I've seen on the Moto X).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well that's what I'm trying to avoid, which is why I'm so interested in this thread.

I'm glad you like yours, but all the main complaints are about the things that are most important to me: size, notifications, and battery. After being spoiled by all-day-every-day battery life, I can never go back to being tied to a charger (my 2-1/2 year-old Razr Maxx HD still has better battery life than the very best reports I've seen on the Moto X).

The size is going to be something that you either like or not -- no real fix for it. I would suggest going to a store and holding a Note to see how it is and decide if you can handle that everything. I used to think I could never use a Note sized phone until I did .. now I won't go back. It only seems huge for the first 2-3 days then after that it seems normal.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

My wife like her's since built solid, great signal and battery life. My "not" likes though are more than offset by my likes:

1. Love the build and feel.
2. Signal is great
3. Display looks great and also amazing with VR content (unlike the pentile dotty look of the Note 4 when viewed close with VR headsets)
4. Sound quality from headphone jack is great and the speakers are strangely good and loud for a phone.
5. Vibration is better
6. No bloat
7. Faster and smoother than my Note 4
8. Camera is faster and takes better picks than my Note 4 unless darker shots (then Note 4 wins)

Still keeping my Note 4 as a back up and for VR gaming with Gear VR. For watching movies though, the Pure with the FreeFly VR headset destroys the Note 4 with Gear VR for image quality. No comparison. Seriously, for movie fans the FreeFly is a worthy low cost investment using with the Pure. It is like having a giant theater, minus all the screen door dots of the Note 4 pentile display. For movies, using the FreeFly with the Note 4 is the same as Gear VR, since same huge field of view and same screen door effect from the pentile dots.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

The size is going to be something that you either like or not -- no real fix for it. I would suggest going to a store and holding a Note to see how it is and decide if you can handle that everything. I used to think I could never use a Note sized phone until I did .. now I won't go back. It only seems huge for the first 2-3 days then after that it seems normal.

I bought a Note 4 over the summer and returned it mostly because I just couldn't hold on to it. The Note 5 is about the same size but it's much easier to hold, and I suspect the Moto X is similar. I'd still rather have something a little smaller, not just for handling, but also because a bigger screen takes more power to illuminate.

One would think a bigger phone would also mean a bigger battery, but that hasn't proven to be the case. IMO none of the manufacturers have made wise engineering tradeoffs with the latest crop of devices.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

My wife like her's since built solid, great signal and battery life. My "not" likes though are more than offset by my likes:

1. Love the build and feel.
2. Signal is great
3. Display looks great and also amazing with VR content (unlike the pentile dotty look of the Note 4 when viewed close with VR headsets)
4. Sound quality from headphone jack is great and the speakers are strangely good and loud for a phone.
5. Vibration is better
6. No bloat
7. Faster and smoother than my Note 4
8. Camera is faster and takes better picks than my Note 4 unless darker shots (then Note 4 wins)

Still keeping my Note 4 as a back up and for VR gaming with Gear VR. For watching movies though, the Pure with the FreeFly VR headset destroys the Note 4 with Gear VR for image quality. No comparison. Seriously, for movie fans the FreeFly is a worthy low cost investment using with the Pure. It is like having a giant theater, minus all the screen door dots of the Note 4 pentile display. For movies, using the FreeFly with the Note 4 is the same as Gear VR, since same huge field of view and same screen door effect from the pentile dots.

It's interesting to see the differences in what people value. For example, VR is so far down my priority list it's not even on it. ;)

I'd even go so far as to call it a negative. Not because of VR per se, but because of the large, high-resolution display required to support it. I'd much rather they use a smaller, lower-resolution (as if 1080p is low resolution) display and put the recovered battery power to use in other places.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Agreed, getting it and returning it sounds like more of a pain. I think this thread has been very useful, nobody is here to hate on the phone, but for people like you and I who are considering purchasing one it is nice to know what people who have the phone don't like.