What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

I did not know this- no LED is LAME. They kind of got away with it with an AMOLED display, but not with LCD. That seems an egregious power waste not having LED notification when using LCD. The whole display is powered for small notification area.

You can root to get one, but up in the air if warranty is voided or not. Also a lot of folks will not bother trying to root since not one click simple. More risk.

Moto needs to enable the middle white LED for notifications in the settings as an option. Come on Moto, do the right thing for people that want notifications AND better battery life.
That's a little better, I guess, but not really much. You have one LED and all you'll ever know is that yes, you have a notification. On the N5 with Light Flow, I had nearly a dozen notifications assigned to different colors and knew what was going on from the other side of my apartment, well out of range of my G Watch. Every phone should have an RGBW LED. (Honestly, I don't even see it as a battery life issue, though I respect your POV there. It's a UI issue.)

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Wow sounds like you aren't that impressed with the screen on it, I am also amazed that it doesn't have a notification LED, I really want to replace my Xperia Z3 and not pay top end money sonic thought the Style would be the phone but I am just not so sure now, I really like bigger screens and the 5.7" was so appealing I am almost tempted to look for a Nexus 6 but the price on that is still too high!

Nexus 6 $299
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/18/deal-nexus-6-32gb-drops-to-299-on-ebay/

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Yes, it is updated Facebook isn't the only app that does this. The standard android text message program shows the dates of each text in the same text I mentioned before. Other apps have this text as well.

If yours doesn't do this there must be a way to change it?!?

do you have some kind of accessibility setting on? (one for like the vision impaired or something?). I haven't seen this at all on this phone. And this reminds of that faux letter sharpening the LG G3 had (which I returned for this very reason). So I definitely would notice on this phone!
How to easily fix the LG G3 QHD screen's annoying oversharpening issue

EDIT: looks like Diesel beat me to it and had the exact setting to change! :)

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

I have been enjoying mine since Friday night but I wish that the stock keyboard layout had the numbers at the top instead of having to hit the ?123 key to get there, unless I am missing something. While I am used to having to do that on original Moto X, I got spoiled with my other large screen phones, Note 2 and G Flex 2. Since we have this nice big display, I would prefer the ease of use of the numbers at the top.

Any suggestions?

SwiftKey will do that and much more.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

The only thing I don't like (so far) is the inability to rename it; give it a more personal name, like "Baby Cakes" or some such.

Posted via Android Central App

No wireless charging but I knew that going in.

Posted via the Android Central App

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

The thing I miss most using the 2014 Moto X compared to a GS6 is that I have to draw the notification shade down and then tap an icon before I can get to the quickset buttons (ie to toggle wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode, brightness slider, etc). On the GS6 I swipe down and the buttons and brightness slider are right there. That extra tap drives me crazy.
Try pulling the shade down with 2 fingers instead of 1.

-- Rob

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

As most of us are right-handers, it would seem intuitive that the back button be on the far right
I find the opposite to be more intuitive: we read from left-to-right, so to me, right is "forward" and left is "back." But I agree it ought to be customizable.

-- Rob

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

No notification LED. No phone should ship without one.

What?? There's no notification LED at all? So the only way to see if something happened is to turn on the power-hungry screen and check it manually? That's not a notification, that's an active query. I find that beyond ridiculous.

-- Rob

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

What?? There's no notification LED at all? So the only way to see if something happened is to turn on the power-hungry screen and check it manually? That's not a notification, that's an active query. I find that beyond ridiculous.

-- Rob
Agreed and not getting why most folks seem okay with the entire display on for notifications. The battery life is already apparently mediocre, so any less battery drain is a win. At least give the option to use the LED without rooting and voiding a warranty :)

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

-- Rob

You don't have to turn on the screen to see if something happened. I am really liking the Moto Display. If you want to check for something, all you have to do is wave your hand over the screen, it stays black, but the time & logos for any apps that have something new (like texts, mail, etc., that are synching) show up in white. It disappears very quickly. Can't say that's taking up much battery.

My battery life has been very good. Really like this phone!

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to turn on the screen to see if something happened. I am really liking the Moto Display. If you want to check for something, all you have to do is wave your hand over the screen, it stays black, but the time & logos for any apps that have something new (like texts, mail, etc., that are synching) show up in white.

A true notification means the phone alerts you -- you can be concentrating on something else and it does something to get your attention, even from across the room. What you're describing is an active query -- you have to be near the phone and perform some action to see if something happened. If you don't perform that action, you won't know anything happened. It's like an alarm clock with no alarm: the only way to know if it's time to wake up is to be awake and look at the time.

And you are turning on the screen. Even if most of the pixels are black, the backlight still comes on and consumes power.

-- Rob

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

True, you are turning on the screen even though black, but it's not taking as much power as if you physically push the button & turn on the screen. I have a very low sound notification for when something happens on my phone, so I know to check in.

I understand your point though of liking a blinking light. Just came from a phone where I had different colors set up for different things. Took me a bit to adjust. :)

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

LEDs are lame. Once you get used to the active notifications, you'll never look back. In the short period of time between the Pure and my 2013 X I had a G4. I turned the LED off it annoyed me so much.

The active display is part of the phone and complaining about it is like complaining that Samsung still uses a physical button on the front of their phones. If you don't like it, buy something else. However, I definitely recommend you try it.

Last edited:

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

No notification LED. No phone should ship without one. I have an AW watch and the Bluetooth is only good for 15 feet or so. When I come back to my desk I want to see if I missed any calls, messages, or emails.

The screen sucks compared to the nexus 5. Colors are just flat and washed-out.

Damn. Only 15 feet? My 360 is good for closer to 50.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress