What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

The size is going to be something that you either like or not -- no real fix for it. I would suggest going to a store and holding a Note to see how it is and decide if you can handle that everything. I used to think I could never use a Note sized phone until I did .. now I won't go back. It only seems huge for the first 2-3 days then after that it seems normal.

Maybe even 2-3 hours! I've always went for devices with bigger screens, one of the reasons I went with the Motorola droid X, back in the day that thing was rocking a monster (at the time) 4.3" display. Ha

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Maybe even 2-3 hours! I've always went for devices with bigger screens, one of the reasons I went with the Motorola droid X, back in the day that thing was rocking a monster (at the time) 4.3" display. Ha

At first I really liked the large screen on the Note 4 I returned.... until I realized how much of my use is one-handed. I always felt like I was going to drop it.

I hate using cases as they make the phone even bigger. I've never once dropped a phone, so the only "protection" I need is to keep from dropping it in the first place. Nevertheless, I went to various stores and tried a bunch of cases, but I found them all too slippery. I even ordered the grippiest-reviewed case I could find on Amazon (let's just say other people have a different definition of grippy than I do). Finally I bought some spray-on rubber (for the case, not the phone) which worked well for a few hours before it started to peel off.

All in all, there were just too many concessions, so I decided to wait for the fall releases, and well, here we are....

There's still hope for me in the form of the Turbo 2.

eljoker

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Somehow managed to change my app drawer from left to right scrolling to up and down scrolling. I don't know if I did it or the phone updated and did it. Stock launcher.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

The size is going to be something that you either like or not -- no real fix for it. I would suggest going to a store and holding a Note to see how it is and decide if you can handle that everything. I used to think I could never use a Note sized phone until I did .. now I won't go back. It only seems huge for the first 2-3 days then after that it seems normal.

I know, right? I thought I could never get used to the increased size of the 2014 Moto X but it took me about a day to fall in love with it. With the Pure Edition it took me about an hour to get used to the bigger size. It's still a Moto X and fits the hand really well. Loving the size of this phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

I don't have an option to change the name of the device on my Nexus 6. I'm on stock 5.1.1 and not rooted. Maybe since the XPE is pretty much stock 5.1.1 with a few Moto enhancements that this is the reason there is no option to change the device name. I don't know for sure, just guessing.

brandonpry55

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Root and then download rootexplorer or rootbrowser doesn't matter. Go into System folder and then open build.prop and at the very end put in net.tethering.noprovisioning=true and restart. Problem solved.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Well that's what I'm trying to avoid, which is why I'm so interested in this thread.

I'm glad you like yours, but all the main complaints are about the things that are most important to me: size, notifications, and battery. After being spoiled by all-day-every-day battery life, I can never go back to being tied to a charger (my 2-1/2 year-old Razr Maxx HD still has better battery life than the very best reports I've seen on the Moto X).
I keep my old razr maxx hd in my bathroom on wifi. I leave the screen on all night as a nightlight displaying time and weather and all of my email is synced. It is not plugged in. I know of no other phone that will go over 8 hours of screen time while syncing 2 email accounts and updating weather every 15 minutes. It was by far the best phone Moto ever released imo. Same exact phone with a faster processor would probably sell like hotcakes today....but you know the screen and processor are fine as is. It does have a warm white tint though. I thought all Motos did.

I could easily go back to it in a pinch. I only switched to get some additional features in my Note 3 but it really is very competitive and blows away anything for screen on time...and that is on a very old built in battery.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

When you are on the home screen, press volume up or down once and the notification bar drops down. The "None" option on the left lets you silence it for a specific amount of time or indefinitely.

i didn't mean silent as far as turning volume down, but a quiet mode for after hours when i don't want notifications blaring in my ear all night

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

-Whole LCD screen lights up on notifications (prefer AMOLED)
-Motorola Connect app does not support Chrome Plugin so I cannot send and receive texts from PC.
-Battery not as good as I thought.
-It gets very hot at times.
-I cannot find accessories not even on Motorola store.

Last edited:

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

Moto app, look for the three sparks in the upper right corner and tap them. Then choose Assist, next tap the plus sign. You should see two items to choose from. Tap Add Activity. Now choose sleep.

I want to say my phone handled turning sleep mode on by itself. I came from a 2014 Moto X, so maybe that is something that was saved to my Motorola account and synced?

i didn't mean silent as far as turning volume down, but a quiet mode for after hours when i don't want notifications blaring in my ear all night

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I really like the Pure overall, but my main dislike now is the heat when using GPU heavy apps while downloading with LTE. The Pure gets well over 107 degrees.

Simple answer to avoid the higher heat is to not use apps like 3D games that leverage the GPU and don't download with LTE at same time. Game emulators like MAME and PSP do not get the device warm at all, and neither does Youtube and other streaming apps as some report.

The perfect storm for heat so far for me is apps that are heavy GPU and downloading with LTE at same time. I live less than a mile from a tower with clean line of site, so not a weak signal issue. Easy combination to avoid, so not a big issue. The G4 gets hot as well, so seems an 808 issue and not a Moto design fault.

Moto needs to add a throttle option like Samsung has in their devices. It cuts the CPU and GPU down, but does not appear to impact performance overall. Just caps the chipset 30% to avoid heat and saves a lot of battery life over a day of medium to heavy use. I had it on with the Note 4 all the time unless playing certain 3D games or emulators.

Last edited:

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site

it's Android's fault. i feel cheated. the bar at the bottom, whatever it's called, is stealing about a half an inch from my 5.7" screen.
not apologizing for sammy, although they did create and nurture the phablet market sector. the hard and/or capacitive buttons didn't... then again i never measured.
is there an autohide, without dang root? I've noticed some apps make it hide.

--sent from broadbandless rural America

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

One thing I don't like (and its a software issue not a hardware issue) is the new option for picking your moto display apps. I only select a few so blocking the ones I don't want will take forever

ShadyMouse

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I really like the Pure overall, but my main dislike now is the heat when using GPU heavy apps while downloading with LTE. The Pure gets well over 107 degrees.

Simple answer to avoid the higher heat is to not use apps like 3D games that leverage the GPU and don't download with LTE at same time. Game emulators like MAME and PSP do not get the device warm at all, and neither does Youtube and other streaming apps as some report.

The perfect storm for heat so far for me is apps that are heavy GPU and downloading with LTE at same time. I live less than a mile from a tower with clean line of site, so not a weak signal issue. Easy combination to avoid, so not a big issue. The G4 gets hot as well, so seems an 808 issue and not a Moto design fault.

Moto needs to add a throttle option like Samsung has in their devices. It cuts the CPU and GPU down, but does not appear to impact performance overall. Just caps the chipset 30% to avoid heat and saves a lot of battery life over a day of medium to heavy use. I had it on with the Note 4 all the time unless playing certain 3D games or emulators.

Root. Install Custom Kernel when available. Win.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

The viewing angles are pretty horrible in this screen. I can't believe people think they aren't. Every day I sit my phone on the counter as I get ready for the day, and I lose like 50% of my brightness when I do this on the motor XP. This did not happen on OG X. On the plus side, the screen is otherwise beautiful and gets plenty bright. Tradeoffs, I s'pose!

Oh yea, and battery life is meh. Turbo charge is nice, but having to charge my phone more often means I'm going to wear out the non removable battery quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress