How to save a Picture or Video using stock SMS app?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to save a pic sent to me via SMS using the stock Marshmallow messaging app? I'm not sure if it's related to the actual messaging app or related to the app that views the pic once you've tapped on it. I.E the Media Player, Google's Photo's or MOTO's Gallery app.

Any Ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you tap the photo so that it enlarges to fullscreen, do you see a Save or Download option when you tap the Menu button? Or how about if you long-press the photo?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If I tap the image to view full screen, there are no options to save the image. Also, nothing happens if I long-press the image either. I have a feeling (tho i could be wrong) it has something to do with the app chosen as default to load the image. I used to get a pop-up dialogue asking which app I wanted to use (Google's Photo app, Moto's Gallery app etc.) However none of them gave me the option to save.

Which do you have as default?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to save a pic sent to me via SMS using the stock Marshmallow messaging app? I'm not sure if it's related to the actual messaging app or related to the app that views the pic once you've tapped on it. I.E the Media Player, Google's Photo's or MOTO's Gallery app.

Any Ideas?

Before opening the picture in full screen, can you long press and save it?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Gee I just long press and select "save attachment.". Not sure why you aren't seeing that option.

Posted via the Android Central App

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Before opening the picture in full screen, can you long press and save it?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Yes. I just tried to long-press on the thumbnail to save, and that worked. Thanks!

Curious why we're not able to save after we open the picture or video. Kinda seems like an unnecessary extra step to click to open, then go back to the message and then long- press to save the image. Oh well, it works now so I'm grateful.

Posted via the Android Central App