ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm really annoyed that I can't send a decent quality video clip taken with my phone over mms. It will only let me send unwatchable video, even if the video is only five seconds. Is there something I'm missing?
Do you guys use a non native messaging app that will let you send video or adjust the quality down to 720 or something?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Video mms

Remember that those limitations are imposed by the MMS format itself and, furthermore, your carrier. MMS was never meant for high-quality video, so your carrier might impose strict file size limits on the media sent through it. You can also check the settings on your messaging app to see if it's further reducing/optimizing the video file size.

For higher-quality video transfer, you can use other messaging apps that don't rely on MMS, like Facebook's Messenger, Hangouts (via Hangouts, not via MMS), Whatsapp, Skype, etc.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't see any options for file sizes in the native messaging app, but I'll keep looking.
I'm on metropcs. I had a Galaxy S5 before this and never had this problem.
Can you send normal video with your XPE?
Is it just my phone?
Maybe tmo/Metro changed their limitations with their new plans?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

All phones are limited by the carrier for video via MMS.

Apple only gets by this by using iMessage which bypass the carrier sent MMS and sends it through their service which requires the person on the other end to also be an iPhone and have it enabled.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
With my s4 and I think my s5 too, I could choose video quality. If I was going to send a short video, I could go higher quality, for a longer video, I could pick mms quality. They were tmobile phones. Maybe it made a difference if it was sent over wifi?
The video this phone sends is unwatchable. :(
Oh well.
Thx for your input.

Last edited:

Antonthegreat

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

So they were more clear while u used t-mobile? That would make sense since carriers can make video even less quality with their imposed restrictions. Using an app like textra allows to choose how large ur files can be, resulting in a better video. A work around would be sending a share link after u upload to a cloud service like drive or Dropbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress