Moving apps to sd card.

ScttLee184

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
On a Moto X4, Is there any way to move downloaded apps that I don't use as often to my sd card. Or to make the sd card the default download location?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Only if you format the SD card as Adoptive Internal storage. Which is not recommend, it is known to cause problems. And even then they aren't really "on the SD card", the phone just sees the internal storage and SD card as one big storage space.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The reason this is ill advised is because apps are constantly writing to their storage location to update their status. That's why when you leave an app and come back, you can pick up where you left off. Internal storage is built with this in mind and can handle it. SD cards are meant to write relatively few times but read often. Putting apps on it can cause the card to become corrupted prematurely, which means a loss of whatever data is on it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could always extract the .apk file (Apk Extractor - use App Backup & Restore if you want to do a lot at once), then store the apk files on the SD card and uninstall the apps. Then, when you need to use one of them, find it in a file manager, tap it and it should install. Use it, uninstall it and you're back where you were. (And you're only writing to the SD card once for each app. Reading an SD card? I've got some from the early 90s that are still working fine - but who needs a 32MB SD card or thumb drive?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress