Moto Z vs Nexus?

StrayRatt

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello I'm kinda new to the whole forum's thing so I'll get right to it, I love moto my last three phones have been moto but I love the Nexus line, so my question is should I get the Moto Z or a Nexus. Please note sure if this is the right place or not but I like opinions

Ty

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Moto 7 vs Nexus?

I think if you can wait, you should wait for the Nexus (if you mean the ones that will be coming out in a few months). I'm very sure that there will be some comparison reviews. The Moto Z sounds nice though. Nexus is great, but I don't know if you will miss some of the add-ons that Moto adds to their phones, over the Nexus with very few add-ons.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I moved from a Droid MAXX to a Nexus 6, and I do find myself missing some things from the Moto/Droid phone, like superior hands-free voice commands, and the larger battery. Moto has added some things since the MAXX that look beneficial as well (motion commands near the screen, custom voice command phrase, etc). The Nexus is nice for getting latest updates and not having carrier bloatware, and being able to use the phone on any carrier I want.

Part of the question is what features to expect in the new Nexus devices this fall. For example, if you're interested in Android's take on VR, then it'd be best to wait for a new Nexus, since the Moto Z isn't Daydream certified, and I don't know if it can become so later on, or what the implications of that are.

Moto Z vs current Nexus - it's a tough call, but I'd lean toward the Moto Z. My main concern is how long they'll provide software updates for the Moto, but the features on the Z are pretty sweet.

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting that there's a general favoring of manufacturers whose Android phones keep closer to stock yet it's frequently observed by reviewers (and I agree) that nexus phones are somewhat bland in their UI experience. It's a tough line to walk and I think Moto right now is striking the best balance of feature and near stock Android.

Nexus 6P is 3G ram with a Snapdragon 810. Moto Z is higher spec, so it'll be hard for Google to justify denying it daydream certification.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting that there's a general favoring of manufacturers whose Android phones keep closer to stock yet it's frequently observed by reviewers (and I agree) that nexus phones are somewhat bland in their UI experience. It's a tough line to walk and I think Moto right now is striking the best balance of feature and near stock Android.

Nexus 6P is 3G ram with a Snapdragon 810. Moto Z is higher spec, so it'll be hard for Google to justify denying it daydream certification.

Posted via the Android Central App

Although current testing is with the Nexus 6P, I'm under the impression that it won't be officially certified for Daydream.

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hello I'm kinda new to the whole forum's thing so I'll get right to it, I love moto my last three phones have been moto but I love the Nexus line, so my question is should I get the Moto Z or a Nexus. Please note sure if this is the right place or not but I like opinions

Ty

A huge part of the Nexus line is the monthly security updates and the (usual) two year's of software upgrades you will get. Lenovo seems like they have abandoned this practice, given their lack of support for the 2015 Moto XPE. Don't count on getting any software upgrades beyond what the phone comes with.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like Moto. Currently have an MXPE. My problem with the new Z is the mods. I don't want to have to deal with carrying them around with me. Maybe someone will make a "tool belt" style carryall or something. then we can whip out the mod we need at the time. That was a bit "tongue in cheek" but seriously I don't want to be bogged down with mods I might need when I go out.
I'd wait for the new Nexus to see what it brings to the party before I'd go willy nilly out to purchase a Z. Don't forget the cost of the additional mods. This is a phone designed for mods. It will get pricey.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like Moto. Currently have an MXPE. My problem with the new Z is the mods. I don't want to have to deal with carrying them around with me. Maybe someone will make a "tool belt" style carryall or something. then we can whip out the mod we need at the time. That was a bit "tongue in cheek" but seriously I don't want to be bogged down with mods I might need when I go out.
I'd wait for the new Nexus to see what it brings to the party before I'd go willy nilly out to purchase a Z. Don't forget the cost of the additional mods. This is a phone designed for mods. It will get pricey.

Shouldn't change current workflows now though.

Speaker Mod - do you normally take a Bluetooth speaker with you? If so, take the Speaker Mod with you instead.

Battery Mod - when do you carry an external battery pack? Take the battery mod with you instead.

Projector is sort of a special case and the most niche so far. I don't expect many to actually buy this one.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
@Ry, agree with your comments.
I feel this is a bit of a niche device tho for those who will utilize the mods to their full potential. I don't carry bluetooth speakers around with me anyway so the speaker mod would not be on my list. Prefer a decent set of speakers on the phone itself. I can see someone going out, meeting up with friends and not knowing what they might need for the nite as far as mods, might bring them all. Full on in pockets? Read a reviewer somewhere saying the magnets were so strong holding the mod in place that prying it off caused them to drop the phone repeatedly when it slipped. If I were to pick up a Z I'd need the battery mod for sure because they made the phone so damn thin to accommodate all the snap on mods that the battery is under sized. I'd have a hard time justifying buying a phone that needs a battery pack right out of the box. So it's not for me clearly. Looking forward to see how others enjoy it tho.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Ty

If you care about updates and long term support, go nexus. Moto has dropped off lately with updates for their devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress