Does the Z Play have GLONASS

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, on the Motorola website, the Z line only shows using A-GPS and not GLONASS. Other sources show the other two phones having GLONASS, but not the Z Play. Can anyone confirm that the Z Play does have GLONASS? You can use GPS Test from the Play Store to check. Circles are GPS satellites and triangles are GLONASS.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
For some reason, on the Motorola website, the Z line only shows using A-GPS and not GLONASS. Other sources show the other two phones having GLONASS, but not the Z Play. Can anyone confirm that the Z Play does have GLONASS? You can use GPS Test from the Play Store to check. Circles are GPS satellites and triangles are GLONASS.

The Z Play DOES NOT have GLONASS only A-GPS

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Motorola Moto Z Play - Full phone specifications

All phones are based on their in house testing.
I would trust what they say.
The Moto Z Play is also considered a MID RANGE device. Not high end. Which would be very typical to not include GLONASS GPS and only AGPS

That information is taken from other sources, not them tearing into the phone. They even have a disclaimer on the site that the info may be incorrect.

Also, there is a guy on XDA that posted a pic showing that the Z Play was picking up GLONASS. Thing is, he's in a different country, so it's not for certain that the phones are the same in different markets.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
That information is taken from other sources, not them tearing into the phone. They even have a disclaimer on the site that the info may be incorrect.

Also, there is a guy on XDA that posted a pic showing that the Z Play was picking up GLONASS. Thing is, he's in a different country, so it's not for certain that the phones are the same in different markets.
How can you tell? The GPS apps I installed don't show what you're connecting to.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

You either have it or you don't GLONASS doesn't just work in certain countries, it's GPS if the phone has it, it will use it. Typically mid range or low range phones don't have anything but AGPS.

If you aren't happy with the answers you are getting here, then maybe you should reach out to Motorola and ASK them

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter if it doesn't have both?

It actually does. Having GLONASS adds to the amount of Satellites you connect to. More accurate, quicker response having GLONASS in addition to A-GPS

There are 4 Main types of GPS:

A-GPS - Assisted GPS (abbreviated generally as A-GPS and less commonly as aGPS) is a system that often significantly improves startup performance—i.e., time-to-first-fix (TTFF), of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. AKA CRAP!

GLONASS - GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS

BDS - The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS ) is a Chinese satellite navigation system. It consists of two separate satellite constellations – a limited test system that has been operating since 2000, and a full-scale global navigation system that is currently under construction. Chinese Version of GPS

GALILEO - Galileo is the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) Europes version of GPS

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If you use GPS Test GLONASS satellites are represented by a triangle.
Does this help?

3e4e76c7230ac3c707a2be519eca7319.jpg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

It actually does. Having GLONASS adds to the amount of Satellites you connect to. More accurate, quicker response having GLONASS in addition to A-GPS

There are 4 Main types of GPS:

A-GPS - Assisted GPS (abbreviated generally as A-GPS and less commonly as aGPS) is a system that often significantly improves startup performance—i.e., time-to-first-fix (TTFF), of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. AKA CRAP!

GLONASS - GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS

BDS - The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS ) is a Chinese satellite navigation system. It consists of two separate satellite constellations – a limited test system that has been operating since 2000, and a full-scale global navigation system that is currently under construction. Chinese Version of GPS

GALILEO - Galileo is the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) Europes version of GPS

Maybe I should restate my question. If I'm in the US, does it matter if I can't connect to Russian or Chinese satellites? Honest question.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
That's correct. I wouldn't give it another thought.

That's NOT correct, not at all. First, there is no reason that if your phone has GLONASS it wouldn't USE it!?
I don't know any phone manufacture that would include the chipset for GLONASS and not utilize it.
Second, NO your GPS will NOT work as well with just A-GPS vs having both A-GPS and GLONASS
as JMZ768 stated, like I said before, the more the better, the more accurate.
Phones that JUST have A-GPS connect to less Satellites, take longer to connect, and are far less accurate.
That's a fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress