Charging issues

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone experienced any charging issues with your Z Play? I am going one year with my Z Play. I love the thing still and the major selling point for me, battery life, is still awesome. I run it hard and still at the end of the day am at over 50% in battery most days. However, lately I am having troubles getting the battery to even charge at all.

It started randomly a few months ago. I would plug it into the charger that came with the phone at night and about once a week, I would wake up the next morning and the phone would have charged little if at all. Now it is every day. The only way that I can get it to charge is to reboot the phone right before I plug it in, and even then sometimes it will charge 10% or so an then stop. Other days, it charges up full. I have recently started playing with different charging cables, charger plugs, etc, and it is always hit or miss. Sometimes, all it take is flipping the usb C connector over and plugging it in and it takes off. Other times it simply won't charge without a reboot. I do seem to be getting more consistent successful charges lately by not using the Turbo charger that came with unit and using a lower rate charger from an older phone.

Anyone else having this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be a problem with the charging port. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, in case there's any debris stuck in there.

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I have tried everything with this phone, including a complete factory reset. It will only charge on the low voltage chargers (I have a Motorola brand one) and even then it is hit or miss and nearly every time I have to re-boot the phone. I've tried multiple cables too, including a brand new Motorola branded one. Sometimes it will work if I flip the USB-C plug over, which makes no sense because it is designed to work either direction. I have tried blowing out the charging port on the phone as well.

Time to call Motorola since I only have about 3 weeks left on the 1 year warranty.

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
No problems with mine. Had it for 1 1/2 years. Just recently had to reset back to factory because some app I installed caused my phone to restart many times throughout the day. It would run for 30 minutes or an hour before restarting. It's been fine every since the reset.

Last edited:

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
My new Moto Z Play Droid came in yesterday. I got it up and running in short order. There is a definite difference in the feel in how a USB-C charger feels when it is plugged into this phone. There is a kind of "snap" feel to it, where on my old one it didn't feel that way. That definitely supports the thought that there was a hardware issue with the old one. The new one charges flawlessly so far. Thankfully I got this taken care of just before my warranty was up.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
My Z Play has always been particularly picky about what chargers and cables work with it to charge it. Only the Motorola and higher quality stuff work.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I like to think the USB-C port on the Z Play will last twice as long as other phones because I literally charge it half as much! I still love the Z Play's battery life!