Is anyone on the Edge program?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I decided to not fight to get on Edge because I just can't wrap my head around leasing a phone. If I had money to spare, it would be a good plan, though still much more expensive than the T-Mobile Jump plan. Not only do you pay less in general for T-Mobile, but the monthly fee to be in Jump goes toward your insurance. If I want a new phone in a year I am sure I will get a good price for this Maxx and then just buy a new phone outright from Amazon. I know, still like leasing, but keeping Verizon directly out of the $$$$$ loop is my goal.

I am hoping in two years T-Mobile's network will match Verizon cause I am over Verizon, its high prices and its negative policy towards customers.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I decided to not fight to get on Edge because I just can't wrap my head around leasing a phone. If I had money to spare, it would be a good plan, though still much more expensive than the T-Mobile Jump plan. Not only do you pay less in general for T-Mobile, but the monthly fee to be in Jump goes toward your insurance. If I want a new phone in a year I am sure I will get a good price for this Maxx and then just buy a new phone outright from Amazon. I know, still like leasing, but keeping Verizon directly out of the $$$$$ loop is my goal.

I am hoping in two years T-Mobile's network will match Verizon cause I am over Verizon, its high prices and its negative policy towards customers.

Buying a new phone from Amazon still puts money in Verizon's pocket. It is Verizon's phone you're buying. That logo stamped on the phone is there because they bought it from a manufacturer to sell. It doesn't matter if you buy it from a corporate store, a local retailer or online. Since there is a third party involved the do make less, but I doubt it is significant. Verizon still gets paid.

As for my take on the Edge program, it doesn't work for me. I still have every cell phone I've ever owned, and I plan to keep it that way. I'll probably set them up with my CPU collection one day. I have CPU's all the back to the original Intel 4004, and I'm still collecting them.

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
No flashlight but it did have make the same sounds as the car phones that existed before hand held cell phones. I never had one but do remember all the racket they made each time the car started.
That baby was the first phone with a color display, it could show the Nokia emblem in 3 colors on bootup! Now we are complaining that our new phones don't have a full hi def display!
It could also act as a numeric pager since they were in much wider use than cell phones at the time.
I have no qualms about letting it go to the highest bidder...

Last edited:

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
has anyone seen the fine print on Edge? I'm wondering what you have to do if the "leased" phone is somehow broken or lost. Are you required to carry insurance on the phone? Is it VZW's problem?

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing I too went for the Edge program but because we financed a tablet they removed the Edge from my account... I call Verizon and went back and forth with them on this issue. In the end I paid 43..99 worth of taxes to upgrade to the Maxx thanks to there mistakes. I'll take this as a win.

Posted via Android Central App

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
has anyone seen the fine print on Edge? I'm wondering what you have to do if the "leased" phone is somehow broken or lost. Are you required to carry insurance on the phone? Is it VZW's problem?

You are definitely responsible for turning in a phone if you want to upgrade early, so you would have to file an insurance claim and get a phone.

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You are definitely responsible for turning in a phone if you want to upgrade early, so you would have to file an insurance claim and get a phone.

They recommend to carry insurance which with a phone this heavy most likely a good idea

Posted via Android Central App

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Their FAQ says that although you are not required to carry insurance, it is recommended. You are only required to pay off the full amount of the phone either by making the 24 regular payments or pay off the remaining balance of the phone at any time. Now, if you wish to "Edge Up" and turn in your phone before it is paid off completely, you will be required to pay at least 50% of the price of the phone and turn in your original working phone or an insurance-replaced one.

bbgirl180

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I looked into the Edge program and for someone like me (who already upgraded and lost my unlimited) it doesn't seem like such a good deal.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use between 6 - 12 GB per month myself. But, I will be voluntarily losing my unlimited data since I will be adding 2 lines to my account in Nov/Dec. Time for my parents to join the mobile world now that they will be traveling a lot so I'll put them on my account and make them Account Managers. With the Share Everything data plan (10 or 12 GB per month) and my employee discount, I should still be able to do it for around $85 per person which is what I pay now for myself. So, it was not worth me keeping unlimited.

However, I do not want to be roped into another 2 year contract. I don't mind paying for their phones outright, but if Verizon will allow me to split the price of the phone into equal payments with the ability to payoff the remaining amount whenever I want, and with no finance or interest fees, then I might as well use the Edge Up program.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I use between 6 - 12 GB per month myself. But, I will be voluntarily losing my unlimited data since I will be adding 2 lines to my account in Nov/Dec. Time for my parents to join the mobile world now that they will be traveling a lot so I'll put them on my account and make them Account Managers. With the Share Everything data plan (10 or 12 GB per month) and my employee discount, I should still be able to do it for around $85 per person which is what I pay now for myself. So, it was not worth me keeping unlimited.

However, I do not want to be roped into another 2 year contract. I don't mind paying for their phones outright, but if Verizon will allow me to split the price of the phone into equal payments with the ability to payoff the remaining amount whenever I want, and with no finance or interest fees, then I might as well use the Edge Up program.

That is nice you are putting your parents on your plan!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

What phones will they be using, though?

I added my parents to my plan as well but since they don't really need much, I just paid $240 for a 4S for my dad and gave my mom an Intensity II I had laying around. If they don't need anything fancy, it'd definitely be cheaper to get a phone online than to do EDGE and be paying Verizon's full retail price for the phone.

In my case, that would have been around $250 for an Intensity II (at the time). I just grabbed an Intensity III on eBay for $50 the other day for someone else's dad...

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
They haven't chosen a phone yet. It will be a Christmas gift, so I'll be waiting to see if Verizon offers any specials after Thanksgiving. Sometimes they have a buy one get one free if you add 2 lines.

I've been sending my Mom links to some video reviews. I am leaning towards one of the Samsung or Motorola phones since my sister has a Samsung S3 and I have the Razr MAXX HD. That way we are familiar with these platforms when we get the inevitable call or email asking "how do I______?"
Iphone screen is too small for them, especially since my Dad uses reading glasses. So I'll suggest either a Samsung S4, Note 3, Moto X, or Droid MAXX.

I will upgrade my own phone at the same time and so the Edge program makes sense for me. I am still not sure how I will do their phones. Subsidized or Edge. (Or the possibility of letting one of them have my current Razr MAXX HD)

Sent from Droid Razr MAXX HD

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think if you do a BOGO offer, then you will be forced to do subsidized.

Samsung's devices are probably more user-friendly for new smartphone users. I only got an iPhone for my dad since he already used an iPad before so it wouldn't be too different. But my dad likes the big screens now since it'd be easier to watch movies on them, so maybe he'll want something new soon. Or I'll give him my old GalNex...

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll give him my old GalNex...

Wouldn't that be considered cruel and unusual punishment? (j/k)

Oh, I didn't think about the 2 year contract requirement for BOGO. may not be worth it.

I am thinking a Samsung S4 might be the best all around phone for them.

Sent from Droid Razr MAXX HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana