Will you do a Factory Data Reset after getting 6.0 Marshmallow?

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
If/when the Droid Turbo 2 gets marshmallow, do you plan on doing a factory data reset? And if so, before or after the update gets loads? Thanks!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Factory Data Reset & Marshmallow

I won't be, unless there are issues, but usually I do not.

Posted via the Android Central App

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Some religiously do an FDR before and after major OS updates. I don't. Only if issues afterwards.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

If you're going to do one, there's little gain to do it before the update. You may as well do it after.

My advice is wait until after the update. If things are running fine, don't bother with the FDR. If something is messed up, then go ahead and do one.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I don't do a reset unless there are problems but I usually wipe the system cache. I don't have Motorola. I have a Nexus 5. I'm just learning about Motorola.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Every other Verizon Android phone I have owned 2 HTC and an LG I had to do a factory restore because of issues mostly terrible battery life or major lag and crashing so I am expecting to do it.

Posted via the Android Central App

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Eliminate all doubt. Factory reset after major updates. Just think... When it rolls out and people start posting their nitpicks or oddities, what will everyone's first response be??

" You should Factory Reset, and see if that works."

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I have the Moto X Pure, now running Marshmallow and for the first time I did a reset after the update. I wish I had played about with the phone before hand to see if there were any bugs, but after the reset the phone is brilliant, no lag, no bugs.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I updated my Moto X Pure Edition without performing a FDR. I have not experienced any bugs. My belief is don't fix it if it isn't broken, so I only do FDR if something is broken after an update.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Yeah what Laura said :) I did the reset as I hadn't really customized my phone yet, so I didn't loose too much.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

I do, mainly because I want to eliminate the possibility of any problems arising due to a "dirty" install. With an O/S update there's a possibility of issues anyway. When I upgrade Windows on my computers, I always do a clean installation; these phones are computers so I treat them the same way.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I won't be, unless there are issues, but usually I do not.

THIS... :)

I'll always give this advice: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Major upgrades have a lot of moving parts, one of which is often the runtime libraries that really run all of Android. When those change, you really run the risk of having some bits on your app cache and data that aren't exactly happy to play in the new sandbox.... and your once well-oiled-machine running phone starts to cough and spit. When that occurs, a FDR usually clears that right quick. But not everyone has such issues.

Still, make preparations... make sure your photos are backed up, go check your backup settings and make sure stuff like your WIFI config, contacts, etc... all are backed up. Plug your phone into a computer and make a backup of your internal storage, etc.... That way if you DO have to do a reset, it's as painless as you can make it.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I would do the FDR, but if you choose not to, at least wipe the system cache in recovery after the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress