Vehicle Dock Sensor/Magnet for Turbo 2?

jglazer63

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Is there a magnetic sensor or something in the Turbo 2 that allows it to switch to vehicle mode (or at least detect that it's in a vehicle dock)? I am trying to make a dock that triggers this as I did for the XT1080 and I cannot seem to find the sensor magnet/switch. I have the Turbo 2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that, like the Turbo before it, the Turbo 2 does not have this, no. The Turbo's magnetic sensor was used for the special window case that they made for that phone; since the Turbo 2 lists a hall effect sensor (that's the magnetic sensor) and does sell a flip case, I'm sure it's used for the same thing on the Turbo 2. Motorola Flip Case for DROID Turbo 2 - Verizon Wireless

There are car home apps in the Play Store; you can always use voice commands ("OK Turbo 2, open name of car home app") when you get in the car.

xdollface8

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine automatically goes into driving mode when it connects to the car BT, but not other BT devices.

When your first pair the phone with the car, it asked "When you connect do you automatically want to enter driving mode?" Or something like that.

There may be a Manuel way to do this.

Also, Moto All, Actions/Voice driving mode... It senses when you are driving and switches over. I shut mine off because I don't like it when I'm in someone else's car.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Right, that's like the old Moto assist. The droid Maxx and ultra (xt1080) actually had a car home app built in that was triggered by a magnet at a specific point in a proprietary car dock. It basically created a "fat finger" launcher in addition to the car assist actions.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't you use an NFC tag for this?

Yes, I was going to suggest this, but the cheapest way to get this is to spend about $10 for a bag of tags. I have NFC unlock on my phone and a tag in my car cradle so that whenever I wanted to voice control the phone, it would immediately unlock and allow any OK Google command. With NFC unlock you set a backup unlock method, PIN, password, etc., so it was much like having regular lock screen with the benefit of automatic unlock in the car cradle. I didn't need a "car home", but using NFC would be a great way to add this (as well as automate turning on BT, etc., if you normally keep that off.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress