Questions about purchasing the DROID TURBO from Verizon? Ask here!

MHM 35

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I will say first off that I am totally new to forums in general. I am not all that good at navigating them, so I am sorry if someone already asked this question.

I am making the switch from iOS to this Android, and I love the Motorola Droid Turbo. I am struggling with whether to get the 32GB from Best Buy or bite the bullet and go 64GB from Verizon online.

I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4S and have had trouble consistently fitting my apps, music, etc. onto the device. I have 8.5GB of music on my device (12+ GB on my computer), and I just gave up having any games other than Minecraft on the device because the music and my text messages, photos, just took up too much. Now I have my phone for calls and music, and my iPad for games and work related apps. Have 32GB between the two of them, but it's always a battle to get what I want on both.

I have many other files, etc., but I am sharing this information with you because I am curious how much space the operating system (KitKat or Lollipop) takes up from the available storage. I heard that the Moto X loses about 5GB to Android software. Is that the case with the Turbo as well?

Also, if some of you more seasoned Android users could advise me whether to go 32GB or 64GB if I'm hoping to have all of the music, photos, games, etc. on one device.

Thank you! If my questions were unclear, I can certainly rephrase or clarify.

nawadley

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey. I will say first off that I am totally new to forums in general. I am not all that good at navigating them, so I am sorry if someone already asked this question.

I am making the switch from iOS to this Android, and I love the Motorola Droid Turbo. I am struggling with whether to get the 32GB from Best Buy or bite the bullet and go 64GB from Verizon online.

I currently have a 16GB iPhone 4S and have had trouble consistently fitting my apps, music, etc. onto the device. I have 8.5GB of music on my device (12+ GB on my computer), and I just gave up having any games other than Minecraft on the device because the music and my text messages, photos, just took up too much. Now I have my phone for calls and music, and my iPad for games and work related apps. Have 32GB between the two of them, but it's always a battle to get what I want on both.

I have many other files, etc., but I am sharing this information with you because I am curious how much space the operating system (KitKat or Lollipop) takes up from the available storage. I heard that the Moto X loses about 5GB to Android software. Is that the case with the Turbo as well?

Also, if some of you more seasoned Android users could advise me whether to go 32GB or 64GB if I'm hoping to have all of the music, photos, games, etc. on one device.

Welcome!

To begin with, the version of Android on the Turbo is basically identical to that of the X, so file size should be roughly the same. There will be some additional Verizon apps and bloatware on the Turbo because it's on Verizon, but not much more than on a Verizon X.

Beyond that, if you are having trouble getting all your content to fit on 2 iOS devices that total 32 GB, I would strongly suggest the 64 GB Turbo. Not only does it look cooler with the added red stripe on the back, it will also keep you from having to worry about space on the phone.

There are 2 additional things to consider. First, the camera is 21 mp, so if you shoot at the highest quality, photos and videos will be large files and may fill up the memory fairly quickly. On the flip side, Google Play Music easily allows you to stream music, so depending on how/where you listen to your music, you might not need to store it on the hard drive, saving you some hard disk space. I use an iPad, and I was annoyed when I realized you had to download songs before listening to them. With Android, they're all accessible through the cloud, which is a great advantage.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new Turbo, and welcome to Android!

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Purchased the Turbo with upgrade to share everything 30 gb during promotion ends of October till November 5th. Placed my order on November 3rd, I just got my bill and Verizon has me on my old plan with no upgrade. Called customer service and spoke to tier 2, they filled a form for review and said the decision is in corporate hands now. Customer service believes I'm lying or made a mistake, actually said by the rep i talked to, but wait I actually have a screen grab of the transaction. If I'm denied what's the best way to get this resolved, so I can get my discounted 30gb share everything?

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
If you have a screen grab - which is a form of receipt of the transaction - why do you expect to be denied? For that matter why did tier 2 not accept your screen grab. [I am dangerously assuming by screen grab, you mean what I think of as a screen print.]

At this point if a customer service rep actually said the words 'you are lying' to me, I would taking some steps to see that individual received some additional training.

If you are denied at corporate and have proof of the transaction, it will probably be a long hang. I don't know where you live but most states have some form of consumer protection agency where you can file a complaint.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Questions about buying a FULL Price Droid Turbo on Verizon store

Hello,

I am thinking of buying Droid Turbo at FULL PRICE of $599 at Verizon Store. I do not have Verizon account at all. The phone will be used overseas where it does not have LTE network, so will be using primarily HSDPA (3G) network.

My questions are
1. Can I buy the phone (full price) at VZW store without having an account with them?
2. Is the phone unlocked if purchased at full price? If not, how do I get it unlocked?

Thanks.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Questions about buying a FULL Price Droid Turbo on Verizon store

Hello,

I am thinking of buying Droid Turbo at FULL PRICE of $599 at Verizon Store. I do not have Verizon account at all. The phone will be used overseas where it does not have LTE network, so will be using primarily HSDPA (3G) network.

My questions are
1. Can I buy the phone (full price) at VZW store without having an account with them?
2. Is the phone unlocked if purchased at full price? If not, how do I get it unlocked?

Thanks.

Most stores will not sell the device without an account. All the Verizon devices (well recent anyway) are SIM unlocked regardless if the device is under contract or if you buy full donkey.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

thanks. i just called 2 company stores and they told me the same thing, that i need an account to buy phone at full price. strange.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

If you're buying full price can't you open an account to get the phone and then close the account a few days later without penalty?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Buy at a discount price with a contract then cancel the and pay the $375 termination fee

Posted via the Android Central App

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
My experience.

On November 20, 2013, wife and I got the Moto X (1st gen), signed a new 2 year contract, changed to 10 GB More Everything plan. (my line was an upgrade, her line was new to the account).

On November 14, 2014, I found 2 old phones (Droid 2 Global and Galaxy S Fascinate), both 3G devices, and activated them against our lines. (Turning the X's into wifi-only devices, and ensuring that we get to keep them during the Turbo TradeIn program).

On November 15, 2014, we went to a VzW store with our Droid 2 and Fascinate in hand. (5 days before our 1-year anniversary)
- Explained that we wanted to trade them in towards Turbo's.
- Also explained that we wanted to switch to Edge for both lines, since the trade-in results in $25 discount per line per month for the life of the Edge program ($450 over 18 months for each line).
- The Fascinate worked without any issues. The rep was able to select Early Edge, along with the $25 discount, and my wife taking the 32GB Turbo Red, for an effective wash in monthly price.
- The Droid2Global gave them issues.. not sure why, but they eventually did a trade-in over-ride to force Early Edge, and the $25 discount. I choose the 64GB Turbo, for an effective $3 more per month.

Oh, and on top of all that, we also took advantage of the new pricing for the More Everything plans, and now have the 10GB plan for $20 less than we were paying.

At this point, we now have brand new phones.. much better battery life, .. an effective $17 drop in monthly cost, and have the ability switch to new device in 18 months. Now, VzW could easily not offer the $25 discount next time around... so.. we'll have to revisit that when the time comes.. but, I see this as a win for now.

NameNotFound

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

It's only $50 to double the storage, I would spend that extra cash to have the peace of mind to know you won't have to worry about running out of space for a while.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

i do not want to get my credit score hit by doing a hit and run (open then terminate), it's not worth the effort, especially since I am paying FULL price for the phone.