Droid Turbo: Battery Life

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not too bad. No streaming or phone use. Good usage. I did notice the battery drained faster in the bottom 50%. This was a 'regular' charger charge. I'll use the Turbo charger tonight and compare.
1420771001132.jpg1420771011932.jpg

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Now with a Turbo charge. An hour less screen time, but similar app usage, some BT streaming, and 10+ hours off WiFi. Something is up...

1420939491115.jpg1420939505457.jpg

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is not anything to complain about. Great battery.

I am not complaining at all, in either instance. Anything over 24 hours is A-OK in my book. My point is that using the Turbo Charger vs. a regular charger appear to give different results, which leads me to believe our batteries are calibrated for the turbo charger exclusively. However, due to the excessive heat produced using the Turbo Charger (heat being a big enemy of Lithium Ion batteries), I'm wondering if the charger is causing more issues than it is worth. I typically keep my phones for, at least, 2 years. So, if the constant use of the TC wears down the overall battery life and forces me and others to upgrade due to early battery degradation, that is an issue I would like to be made aware of and keep an eye on.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind, we don't know the "C" rating of the Turbo battery. Batteries with a higher rating will get warm during both charge and discharge cycles. It's not necessarily detrimental to the battery, just the way it's designed.

The li-pos I use for my RC flyers have a constant discharge rating of 40 amps, and I regularly push them to it. Yes they get warm, but even after many hours of flight they're still just fine.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Another regular charger charge. More screen time, and WeatherBug drank some juice for some reason. Otherwise, still supporting the theory of better results off Turbo Charger. Screen time does, obviously, play a role as well. But 16 less hours for an extra 30 minutes?
1421037200293.jpg1421037210936.jpg

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Another regular charge, another suboptimal battery life. Next will be another Turbo Charge.
View attachment 159051View attachment 159052
I don't understand how that is "suboptimal". Only a handful of people that have posted here can regularly get more that what you're posting. Your numbers are on par with what many here get.

Before you return the phone, may I make a suggestion? Try a factory reset. Just for giggles. I'm thinking of doing it here too, just to see. If you're going to return it anyway, maybe that might be worth a try?

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how that is "suboptimal". Only a handful of people that have posted here can regularly get more that what you're posting. Your numbers are on par with what many here get.

Before you return the phone, may I make a suggestion? Try a factory reset. Just for giggles. I'm thinking of doing it here too, just to see. If you're going to return it anyway, maybe that might be worth a try?

Before you factory reset I suggest clearing the cache. Battery life doubled for me. If I hadn't been in the mountains and other areas without service I could have been looking at 60 hrs of light usage.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Before you factory reset I suggest clearing the cache. Battery life doubled for me. If I hadn't been in the mountains and other areas without service I could have been looking at 60 hrs of light usage.
I've done the cache clear many times. Quickens the phone a little, but does nothing for battery life for me.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You all are obviously not following my stream of posts. I am completely happy with the phone and battery life. My last post and the few before it are comparing Turbo charging with regular charging. Suboptimal simply means that I'm getting longer battery life with Turbo charging than regular charging.

Factory reset. Really?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You all are obviously not following my stream of posts. I am completely happy with the phone and battery life. My last post and the few before it are comparing Turbo charging with regular charging. Suboptimal simply means that I'm getting longer battery life with Turbo charging than regular charging.

Factory reset. Really?
Clarity would have helped.

And yes, really. I'm considering a start-over here to see how it might help improve things. Thought you needed help too, but if we're all under mass-misunderstanding mode, please disregard.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
If your returning the phone in the hopes that another phone will get this good of battery life, I wouldn't do it. I've seen people say their new G3 or S5 gets better battery life and I call bullsht. There is no way. Especially how the Turbo doesn't have all the bloatware skin crap the others have. Even with 1 d and 9 h of battery life why go through returning a great phone?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My point was that a factory reset is not a willy-nilly procedure to recommend to someone who doesn't even really have a problem. A less technologically versed person may not question it and get upset post reset.
And clarity was to be found, literally, 3 posts above the one you commented on. Not sure how much more clear it needed to be.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If your returning the phone in the hopes that another phone will get this good of battery life, I wouldn't do it. I've seen people say their new G3 or S5 gets better battery life and I call bullsht. There is no way. Especially how the Turbo doesn't have all the bloatware skin crap the others have. Even with 1 d and 9 h of battery life why go through returning a great phone?

The Verizon S5 doesn't get better battery than the Turbo. However, its possible a GSM S5 does because Verizon sucks battery dry faster.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
And another Turbo Charge with better results than regular charges. I think its obvious now that our phone batteries were made to utilize turbo charging. However, that doesn't answer the question of long-term negative impact from the heat generated during turbo charging.
1421355032912.jpg1421355042197.jpg

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
This is an average day for me. I could get another hour probably, but this is around the time I usually plug it in before bed. Again, this is the best battery life I have ever had. I'm still extremely satisfied with the battery and phone. I love to see the iPhone people charging their phones every few hrs because the battery won't last

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 12873.jpg
    12873.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 146

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Based on suggestions here, I went and download/installed GSam to my Turbo. Anything special that I have to do to it in order to get it up and running? I basically just fired it up and that was it.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Based on suggestions here, I went and download/installed GSam to my Turbo. Anything special that I have to do to it in order to get it up and running? I basically just fired it up and that was it.

That's it. Just let it run for a few charge cycles and collect data. I really use it a lot. Helps to see what's going on in the background and what apps are using the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress