Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Anyone else's Wifi signal doo-doo?

rwingert

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Wow I cannot believe what I've gone through today with this phone. I installed the update, factory reset, wifi wouldnt connect at all. Then I went and put the phone in airplane mode and then wifi connected, for about 30 minutes and then disconnected. It wouldn't connect back. THis was at work so I get home and it won't connect at home. So I went to Verizon to switch it for the 2nd time. The guy was sooooo rude to my husband and I. I told him everything I've gone through and how it only fixes when the phone is restarted. I showed him how it wouldnt connect to any of the wifis there so he restarted it and of course it connected. I said well duh that's the fix but I"m not about to restart my phone every single time I need to be connected to wifi, that's absurd. So I told him I'll take a walk away from the wifi area so it can disconnect then I'll come back and I'll come back and it probably won't connect (because it does that to me all the time)...so I walk away, wifi isn't there anymore, I come back, and it freakin connects. So annoying it's like bringing a car to the mechanic and not recreating the problem. So anyways even though we showed him that it didn't work earlier and all he did was restart it to temporarily fix the issue he wouldn't exchange it. Now honestly if he were calm and told me that then I might have said oh well what can you do...but he told me that he went through my account and doesn't see any record of me trying to troubleshoot the issue with the techs. OMG I've spent so much time on the tech support chat with people that don't really try to help all that much and I specifically asked if I can see a tech to look at the phoen and they said they don't have techs at the stores...so I've chatted with people at verizon and they told me just exchange the phone. SO he basically calls me a liar saying that I never did any of the troubleshooting steps and he fixed it now so I should be good. And the way he talked to us was extremely rude, my husband tried to calmly explain that this is a temp fix but it will start acting up again like it has been all day. Well we got the manager there and the guy continued to talk crap to us yelling at us, it was so unprofesional and I can't beleieve he acted the way he did. THe manager told him to calm down but he continued to yell. Anyways, the issue could not be recreated (so annoying) so now I'll have to wait until the wifi stops working tomorrow and go back in for a replacement. I cannot believe that not a lot of people are having this issue as I've so far had two phones with the same problem!!!

rwingert

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Similar issue with me. Wi-Fi will work best when I turn phone to airplane mode, then Wi-Fi back on, with no phone service. Now I'm waiting for a replacement reconditioned phone. Not happy at all about that. Well see how this plays out. I'm so frustrated.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen more than a few people report cases of randomly disconnecting wifi, or wifi that will not re-connect to a knows and previously used network.
Of all teh annoyance I'd have with wifi signal strength, I have not had those things happen at all.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Happened to have a first gen US Cellular CDMA Moto G on my desk today next to the DT, 4' from my $200 router..

IMG_20141219_143912.jpg

(wifi still blows)

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My issue with wifi on my turbo is that I can't connect to wifi at work. When I am at home no issue, but at work I enter my info and then it goes from full strength and drops to no connection and kicks me off and won't connect. I have tried everything not sure what the issue is.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
The DT has the latest WiFi protocols & may have problems with older routers or those in need of updated firmware. This has happened frequently with Cisco brand routers and Cisco has issued a firmware update to correct it. It's happened on other, older routers too but Cisco has been mentioned most often.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen more than a few mentions of this, I believe it's specific to some routers.
Some sort of compatibility problem. Forums.motorola.com had a thread or two going about such.

I was well connected while in my shop twelve steps from my back door watching a youtube video skip this afternoon.
I'll give them till L releases to fix it, if not it's bye bye..

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it only happens at my work and I'm sure it's some issue with a Cisco router. Just stinks because I have to use my data all day.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Wifi is generally ok for me. Speeds are fine but I don't think the WiFi is as sensitive as previous phones I've had. I've also seen a big drop in signal when I put my hand over the top of the phone so that's obviously where the antenna is.

What bothers me the most is that maybe half the time I reboot the phone when it comes up the WiFi is off even though it was on when I shut the phone down. I know now to double check after a restart but I did miss it a few times and ended up using a good chunk of data that I wouldn't normally have used.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
My wifi signal is fantastic.

Posted via the Android Central App
Ditto. Mine is far faster than my previous Maxx. I have 50 Mbps Internet (Comcast) & have speed tested most every day since the DT was released. I consistently get upper 50's Mbps and equals my 2 ethernet connected desktop computers.

218207afd0b833b7425d6730b12acba2.jpg

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine is too, till I go outside. I mean it in the most kind way possible, but just showing a speed test tells nothing without knowing the circumstances of the test. Further, the nature of wifi is such that my "outside" is not comparable to anyone else's outside. Mine is quite fast within line of sight of my router, but in areas I had decent wifi service on other devices the last two years, I don't with the DT.

Matt Parker1

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I was having this problem as well, which was really noticeable in certain apps like Facebook. I updated the firmware on my d-link router at home and it solved the problem immediately. Now my phone is blazing fast!

Posted via the Android Central App

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My isp limits the speed, my speed max is 25 mbps down and 3 up. With the phone I am getting 23.8 down and 2.53 up. That's with my computer and a Roku on. Haven't tried only data yet. Now, my wifi signal will drop when I go to the second floor of my house. Router is in my livingroom so signal has to travel through 3 walls. I will admit the Galaxy S5 had a stronger reception on the second floor then the droid turbo. But, the sound quality is better on the turbo then it ever was on the S5.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a TP Link Archer C7 AC Router, and have a solid connection. I usually connect to the 2.4 band since that's adequate for my purposes, and gives me increased range. My up/down speeds depend on the band I'm connected to. I just now tested, receiving the below results:

5G: 62.95 down and 8.79 up
2.4: 37.00 down and 8.80 up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa