Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
can people stop implying that upgrading from 4.4 to 5.1 isn't a big thing.
does my phone work fine right now? yes.
do I want lollipop very much so ? yes.
Am I the only one who reads these threads to get updates as to when its coming out (csr members, soak test participants, leaks etc)? why are the apologists and complainers getting so repetitive in here? Please stop repeating how much you don't want or need lollipop, If you don't want it I would suggest you ignore this thread, this is for people who want to discuss something other than your personal reasons for not wanting the update... its terrible how many pages you have to read in here before it gets back on topic.

I'm not implying that its not a big deal, I'm flat out stating that for me it's not at all a big deal. If my Phone continues to work the way it currently works, I don't care if I never get lollipop on it.
I don't read the threads to get updates as to when its coming out, because no on here can give a remotely accurate update of when its coming out. Even with the soak tests, people don't know. Sometimes there's a soak test and before anyone can post that there's a soak test, it's already rolled out to everyone. Sometimes the soak lasts days, sometimes weeks. If we go by the "leaks" that have been posted, we all got Lollipop last year. Point is nobody knows, so reading threads to try to get info that nobody knows is pointless.
This thread is to discuss all aspects of the software update, including reasons why its no big deal and complaints that we don't have it yet.If you don't want to read those comments, I suggest you ignore this thread.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
can people stop implying that upgrading from 4.4 to 5.1 isn't a big thing.
does my phone work fine right now? yes.
do I want lollipop very much so ? yes.
Am I the only one who reads these threads to get updates as to when its coming out (csr members, soak test participants, leaks etc)? why are the apologists and complainers getting so repetitive in here? Please stop repeating how much you don't want or need lollipop, If you don't want it I would suggest you ignore this thread, this is for people who want to discuss something other than your personal reasons for not wanting the update... its terrible how many pages you have to read in here before it gets back on topic.

I regularly read this thread and get many perspectives. Respectfully, this one irks me.

If you want to get nit-picky, the title is, "Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?". It isn't, "Droid Turbo: Discussion for People Who Want Lollipop," or "Droid Turbo: People Who Don't Want Lollipop," or something along those lines. It is a very vague title, it leaves room for open discussion on both ends of the spectrum, and thus we have a thread over 1,000 posts. You don't have to like every post you read, but everybody is entitled to their viewpoints on the matter. Some want it. Great. Some don't. Great. Some expressed neutrality on the subject. Great. Pros and cons based on other phones have been brought up. Great. We've seen a wide variety of stuff discussed in here. And if it was that bad of a topic, if the horse had been beaten to death several times, etc., don't you think it would have been locked by a mod by now, or clearly redefined by a mod?

I will continue to read this thread, and I DO welcome those who do not want the update for their own personal reasons, because for all you know, they may bring up something you have never considered, and it makes you sit back and go, "Hmmm..." Or a consensus begins to brew that you can get a better feel for as well, which is how public opinion is gauged on many topics in life. I'm not saying you'd ultimately agree with a poster or a consensus view, but it would (and should) make you think and put things in perspective a bit more. The classic saying is that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and while it is okay that you feel you sifted through a bunch of trash to get what you wanted, it is also okay for me to feel those very same posts hold value and meaning.

This is a significant talking point about the phone. All of us who enter such discussions should be open-minded to all comments. We can agree to disagree on points here and there, but we have to understand other perspectives to even fully understand our own viewpoints and how justified we feel they may be.

DeerSteak

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Considering the Nexus 6 has the same specs - and is basically a larger version of the Turbo - it's too bad that it hasn't been updated.

OTOH, given the mess that has been Android 5.0.x, maybe it's for the best. The Galaxy S5 had a less than smooth transition that drained the battery and just plain didn't work right (though the update to the update seems to have fixed a lot) and the LG phones that have it (G2 and G3) are all seeing debilitating issues. I had a Droid Mini that got the first KitKat 4.4 release in December of 2013 and it killed battery life, among other issues. The second KitKat 4.4.4 update that came in February of 2014 made it a great phone again. The two months in between were a total drag, and.

I'd rather get a 5.1 update later than a 5.0 update that really bungled stuff up.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I still say the supposed issues with Lollipop overall are overstated here. Yes, my own anecdotal experience with it, my wife updated to it a couple of months ago on her Verizon Galaxy S5, led to absoltuely no problems whatsoever, but I say all the time no two phones are the same. I fully understand it could be that she just got lucky this time.

What nakes me think my wife's expereince is more the norm than the exception is the lack of quantified reports of issues with Lollipop. Now, I'm reading Turbo forums because I have a Turbo, and we don't have Lollipop, so I don't expect a lot of tangible evidence here, but I do note that mentions of "Lollipop issues" or it "causing problems" are always very broad and sometimes vague. Add to that the occassional anecdotal report of someone who has a Nexus with it or something (sometimes with it working well sometimes not), and I'm not convinced the issues are widespread and dire.

What really hammers it home, though, is that neither Android Central nor Droid Life, the two Android sites I read daily, have done an overall article on Lollipop issues. Given both sites' broad view of the OS, I would absolutely expect an article laying out the big problems, cautioning against upgrading if you can avoid it, etc. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single article even remotely close to that. In fact, as I've mentioned previously, Phil Nickinson at one point wondered aloud the same thing I'm proposing here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nobody has had issues with Lollipop, any more than there was nobody who had trouble with KitKat, or there won't be with Marshmallow. To read some comments, though, you'd think that Lollipop has been a major disaster, and I just don't see anything that quantifies that as being even remotely true. I do certainly assume each version of it will be better than the last.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
People who don't factory reset after a major os update often have problems that will clear with an fdr. It's too bad that it is that way, but every android phone I've had that got a point upgrade developed niggling issues if I did an in place upgrade without an fdr. I wonder if many of the reported issues with Lollipop updates on other phones have to do with that?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I still say the supposed issues with Lollipop overall are overstated here. Yes, my own anecdotal experience with it, my wife updated to it a couple of months ago on her Verizon Galaxy S5, led to absoltuely no problems whatsoever, but I say all the time no two phones are the same. I fully understand it could be that she just got lucky this time.

What nakes me think my wife's expereince is more the norm than the exception is the lack of quantified reports of issues with Lollipop. Now, I'm reading Turbo forums because I have a Turbo, and we don't have Lollipop, so I don't expect a lot of tangible evidence here, but I do note that mentions of "Lollipop issues" or it "causing problems" are always very broad and sometimes vague. Add to that the occassional anecdotal report of someone who has a Nexus with it or something (sometimes with it working well sometimes not), and I'm not convinced the issues are widespread and dire.

What really hammers it home, though, is that neither Android Central nor Droid Life, the two Android sites I read daily, have done an overall article on Lollipop issues. Given both sites' broad view of the OS, I would absolutely expect an article laying out the big problems, cautioning against upgrading if you can avoid it, etc. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single article even remotely close to that. In fact, as I've mentioned previously, Phil Nickinson at one point wondered aloud the same thing I'm proposing here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nobody has had issues with Lollipop, any more than there was nobody who had trouble with KitKat, or there won't be with Marshmallow. To read some comments, though, you'd think that Lollipop has been a major disaster, and I just don't see anything that quantifies that as being even remotely true. I do certainly assume each version of it will be better than the last.

Well... Google has pretty much admitted what the trade-rags have all stated: 5.0 came out too soon with too many bugs. Seems like the only phones that didn't have much of a fuss were the Moto X and Nexus 6, of which you can probably tie to the fact that Moto and Google have very close relationships still. All the latest Lollipop updates we're seeing are probably going much smoother with the patched versions going in.

What puts me in the 'Lollipop: who cares' camp is that when you have a major release jump (from v4.x.x to v5) you expect some tangible benefits, and so far I really don't see much to jump up and down about. More animations? Lord, help me.... I see a flash of color before an app opens up. Better battery life than KitKat? NOPE. More granular but confusing notification system? YES. Material Design? You get that today with 4.4.4 and all the Google and 3rd-party apps that have updated to it. So even with KitKat, you can be awash with white backgrounds and colorful balls!

I have a Nexus 6 as well (on 5.1), so I feel I've had enough time to compare the two. I switch back and forth between the Turbo and Nexus often, depending on what size I want to roll with at the time. So in comparing both, I certainly do not think there's very much difference in the user experience, which is why I love reading this thread and watching the vitriol from the people demanding the upgrade. When it finally comes out, the fervor will die... and we'll have nothing to talk about until Turbo v2015 comes out.

Last edited:

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
People who don't factory reset after a major os update often have problems that will clear with an fdr. It's too bad that it is that way, but every android phone I've had that got a point upgrade developed niggling issues if I did an in place upgrade without an fdr. I wonder if many of the reported issues with Lollipop updates on other phones have to do with that?

Absolutely totally completely 100% agree.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I've never FDR'ed any of my phones after a major OS update and have never had any issues . I always find it funny when I see someone post this.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've never FDR'ed any of my phones after a major OS update and have never had any issues . I always find it funny when I see someone post this.

Its still a good idea to do it though. Just so many factors I guess but obviously not everyone will have issues.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I regularly read this thread and get many perspectives. Respectfully, this one irks me.

If you want to get nit-picky, the title is, "Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?". It isn't, "Droid Turbo: Discussion for People Who Want Lollipop," or "Droid Turbo: People Who Don't Want Lollipop," or something along those lines. It is a very vague title, it leaves room for open discussion on both ends of the spectrum, and thus we have a thread over 1,000 posts. You don't have to like every post you read, but everybody is entitled to their viewpoints on the matter. Some want it. Great. Some don't. Great. Some expressed neutrality on the subject. Great. Pros and cons based on other phones have been brought up. Great. We've seen a wide variety of stuff discussed in here. And if it was that bad of a topic, if the horse had been beaten to death several times, etc., don't you think it would have been locked by a mod by now, or clearly redefined by a mod?

I will continue to read this thread, and I DO welcome those who do not want the update for their own personal reasons, because for all you know, they may bring up something you have never considered, and it makes you sit back and go, "Hmmm..." Or a consensus begins to brew that you can get a better feel for as well, which is how public opinion is gauged on many topics in life. I'm not saying you'd ultimately agree with a poster or a consensus view, but it would (and should) make you think and put things in perspective a bit more. The classic saying is that one man's trash is another man's treasure, and while it is okay that you feel you sifted through a bunch of trash to get what you wanted, it is also okay for me to feel those very same posts hold value and meaning.

This is a significant talking point about the phone. All of us who enter such discussions should be open-minded to all comments. We can agree to disagree on points here and there, but we have to understand other perspectives to even fully understand our own viewpoints and how justified we feel they may be.

While I share your reasoning, we do need to keep in mind that our contributors to this thread represent a wide variety of people. I'm sure prepubescent 'tards as are degreed tech geeks pooling contrasting thoughts into one thread. So, as they say about a grain of salt...

People fail to realize that these new and improved phones running the BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR SoC 810 with a bug ridden 5.0 operating system are the ones whom have truly received the proverbial shaft. 4.4.4? Until 5.1 is clean? Absolutely. I prefer technology that is reliable; not technology that boasts big numbers with lackluster performance.

Posted via the Android Central App

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Only time I had to do so was with the 5.1 upgrade to my Nexus 7. It would boot but prevented from being usable by a constant error. After full restore, runs fine. My rule of thumb is, if it updates & runs OK, good - if not, FDR can rescue the device.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
One more phone (HTC) getting the LP update today 😠 Verizon and Motorola still silent about turbo #😯

So what.
I don't know the point of bringing up other phones. Does it somehow make your phone less functional if another phone gets lollipop?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
While I share your reasoning, we do need to keep in mind that our contributors to this thread represent a wide variety of people. I'm sure prepubescent 'tards as are degreed tech geeks pooling contrasting thoughts into one thread. So, as they say about a grain of salt...

People fail to realize that these new and improved phones running the BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR SoC 810 with a bug ridden 5.0 operating system are the ones whom have truly received the proverbial shaft. 4.4.4? Until 5.1 is clean? Absolutely. I prefer technology that is reliable; not technology that boasts big numbers with lackluster performance.

Do you have any links you can share to articles that quantify the issues you mention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa