Screen Easily scratched

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't think its BS. A screen protector will pick up scratches because it has a low hardness rating. Gorilla glass 3 has a hardness of 6.8. Maximum hardness of objects on earth is 10 (diamonds). That leaves very few things that can scratch the glass.

Now, there is a coating over the glass. I don't know what that hardness is, but its not 6.8. That can be scratched off or removed with a chemical (tutorials online).

I had a droid x for 2 years in high school and I never used a screen protector. That phone was retired with a flawless screen....and that was Gorilla Glass 1!

Look up the Moh's hardness scale if you have any interest!

Posted via the Android Central App

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its BS. A screen protector will pick up scratches because it has a low hardness rating. Gorilla glass 3 has a hardness of 6.8. Maximum hardness of objects on earth is 10 (diamonds). That leaves very few things that can scratch the glass.

Now, there is a coating over the glass. I don't know what that hardness is, but its not 6.8. That can be scratched off or removed with a chemical (tutorials online).

I had a droid x for 2 years in high school and I never used a screen protector. That phone was retired with a flawless screen....and that was Gorilla Glass 1!

Look up the Moh's hardness scale if you have any interest!

OK. So the screen is hard to scratch. But the coating that is on the screen scratches. Then it really doesn't matter if the glass below isn't scratched. My screen has scratches and I've had no diamonds or sand around my phone. Might as well not use gorilla glass if the screen is going to scratch anyway.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
OK. So the screen is hard to scratch. But the coating that is on the screen scratches. Then it really doesn't matter if the glass below isn't scratched. My screen has scratches and I've had no diamonds or sand around my phone. Might as well not use gorilla glass if the screen is going to scratch anyway.

Its a marketing ploy. Would you rather buy a regular glass screen or a "gorilla glass" screen for the same price? The avg. consumer would buy the gorilla glass.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been pretty underwhelmed by the screens on these phones. Not sure if its the glass or the coating over it, but its not the super screen they make it out to be. Could you imagine doing this to your phone!?!? :eek: I'm nervous just to have it in the vicinity of my keys.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
So what we need is a gorilla glass coating. Since that's the surface of the phone screen and what is going to scratch.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been pretty underwhelmed by the screens on these phones. Not sure if its the glass or the coating over it, but its not the super screen they make it out to be. Could you imagine doing this to your phone!?!? :eek: I'm nervous just to have it in the vicinity of my keys.

http://youtu.be/xvRLhVBC87c

I could see several scratches on his display within the first couple minutes when the light hit. He quickly changed the angle though.

I've been using a naked display with a Tech21 case but I'm going fully naked now and picking up a belt clip pouch. I don't ever drop my phone and if I do I have insurance. The display scratching is out of my control and I'll do this before mine shows them.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I thought the same thing. He even kind of mentions the scratches at the end

By the end of the video there are more scratches than I can even begin to count. The GG didn't stand up well other than it didn't crack.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In the end, GG is more scratch resistant than regular glass. Can it be scratched? Yes. Can keys and coins scratch it? No, they should not, as the hardness rating of of GG 3 is much higher than the brass, steel, or nickel that coins and keys are typically made from (6.7ish to 3-4.5). More than likely the scratches you see are from something else, such as sand, getting dragged across the screen. Even a small grain can cause a good gouge in the screen.

Now, sapphire screens are a lot more resistant to scratches, but they are also extremely brittle. So, in the end, would you rather have a screen that rarely scratches but will shatter with very little force, or a screen that will be quite resistant to shattering but scratch from certain materials?

Exactly.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
In the end, GG is more scratch resistant than regular glass. Can it be scratched? Yes. Can keys and coins scratch it? No, they should not, as the hardness rating of of GG 3 is much higher than the brass, steel, or nickel that coins and keys are typically made from (6.7ish to 3-4.5). More than likely the scratches you see are from something else, such as sand, getting dragged across the screen. Even a small grain can cause a good gouge in the screen.

Now, sapphire screens are a lot more resistant to scratches, but they are also extremely brittle. So, in the end, would you rather have a screen that rarely scratches but will shatter with very little force, or a screen that will be quite resistant to shattering but scratch from certain materials?

Exactly.

I'll take Sapphire since I never expose my phone to adverse conditions such as dropping. I can't do a thing about scratches except expensive screen protectors which I prefer not to use.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Exactly.

Yup. I'll take GG over sapphire any day. My watch is made of sapphire and that thing has been through a lot, no scratches yet. However every time I bang it against something I cringe, despite having a very thick crystal on mine. Phones will stay thin and thin sapphire will be very brittle. I've been fortunate enough not to break my watch yet, but I've seen friends show off the "indestructibility" of sapphire and watch it fail catastrophically.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll take Sapphire since I never expose my phone to adverse conditions such as dropping. I can't do a thing about scratches except expensive screen protectors which I prefer not to use.

That would be fine if dropping the phone was the concern with sapphire, but it is more brittle than even that. Many test show that it honestly takes very little force/impact to shatter a sapphire screen. Why do you think Apple has yet to convert to it on their iPhones? If it was better than GG, don't you think they'd use it?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That would be fine if dropping the phone was the concern with sapphire, but it is more brittle than even that. Many test show that it honestly takes very little force/impact to shatter a sapphire screen. Why do you think Apple has yet to convert to it on their iPhones? If it was better than GG, don't you think they'd use it?

Maybe cost? And Apple was actually going to but the company couldn't meet the demand so they used glass. The company filed bankruptcy due to it.

http://m.ibtimes.com/sapphire-glass-how-did-apple-get-it-so-wrong-gt-advanced-technologies-1703108

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe cost? And Apple was actually going to but the company couldn't meet the demand so they used glass. The company filed bankruptcy due to it.

Sapphire Glass: How Did Apple Get It So Wrong With GT Advanced Technologies?

The article does say that there was a probable issue with quality, "with some speculating that GT couldn't actually meet Apple's quality standards..." That would tell me that maybe the fragility of the sapphire glass was an issue. The article does also say that the company had created a surface that is more scratch-resistant (very likely) and shatter resistant (very unlikely) than GG. But proven evidence shows that sapphire glass is and always has been more brittle than GG, so that could simply be an anecdotal assumption (with the company being bound by non-disclosure it could simply be a rumor, or a 'stretch' of the truth in that the company TOLD Apple they could make a less brittle sapphire glass then failed to do so).

What also hasn't been mentioned is that the coating on GG also resists scratches, adding to the Mohs rating of the screen (I believe it ups it to 7.3 or around there). So, GG is actually more scratch resistant as long as the coating is intact (how long the coating lasts remains to be seen, but on my Razr Maxx the coating where I typically swiped my thumb on the screen wore away after a year or so...could easily be seen if I lightly wet the screen).

In short, I don't think the article reveals all that much except postulating on different rumors. So, until I see a sapphire glass screen that is more impact-resistant and shatter-resistant than GG, my faith still lies in GG for its overall quality. I can deal with an errant scratch or two if it means my screen won't automatically break with a short drop.

riccochet

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sad if they do scratch that easily. My wife and I have been using SGS3's for over 2 years with no protectors and neither of our screens are scratched in the slightest. She's not gentle with her phone either, throwing it in a purse with god knows what rattling around in there.

I may rethink upgrading to the Turbo since I don't like protectors. Especially the Zagg protectors. They feel too rubbery for my liking.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sad if they do scratch that easily. My wife and I have been using SGS3's for over 2 years with no protectors and neither of our screens are scratched in the slightest. She's not gentle with her phone either, throwing it in a purse with god knows what rattling around in there.

I may rethink upgrading to the Turbo since I don't like protectors. Especially the Zagg protectors. They feel too rubbery for my liking.

It doesn't scratch any easier than other phones. I feel like we hear this every new phone launch and its never true. The issue is one of us gets unlucky and something that would scratch any display did so to the new phone. Luck of the draw but I'm with you in saying overall protectors detract even if its Tempered Glass. Those just are better than plastic.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Just got the Verizon tempered glass. I agree that usually screen protectors are horrible, but mine applied perfectly (no dust or bubbles!) and feels great swiping over.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

I scratch every phone I get if I don't put on a protector. It's not just this phone. I'm not hard on them. I think it's the zippered pockets on my my jackets and such that I wear. I always put my phone in those pockets. That's the only thing I can guess.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
OP, did you carry your note in the same pocket? Also, did you keys in you pocket. I scratched a phone just like you described wit my keys.

Posted via Android Central App

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OP, did you carry your note in the same pocket? Also, did you keys in you pocket. I scratched a phone just like you described wit my keys.

Posted via Android Central App

Both phones were carried in the same pocket, a pair of levi jeans.
while I've attempted to keep my keys and phone separate since getting the turbo, they've ended up in the same pocket a few times. With the note I never cared, they were in the same pocket on a daily basis.

The note had some minor lights scratches by the end of its two year run.. The Turbo already has a scratch deep enough that my fingernail gets caught in it if I rub it across the screen, and even since the OP its accumulated a couple light scratches. The note has nothing near this deep. There is probably just as many light scratches on my turbo now as their was on the note 2 at the end of its life cycle, plus the deep scratch.

I've decided it must be a bad scratch resistant coating since no one else is having this problem.

I babied it too much the first two weeks and did not realize it until I was out of my 14 day window (purchased on launch day), so I can't return it as far as I am aware.
I'm just going to go with it, and eventually use my 1 free screen replacement sometime down the line when it gets too bad.