Droid Turbo suffered cracked screen despite Otterbox protection

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a camera right now handy to take pictures (wife's phone is charging and she hid her camera), but tonight I had another edition of Murphy's Law (these happen frequently to me, by the way, but the first to strike an actual phone itself).

I have my phone in an Otterbox Defender. I was messing with it on the couch, fell asleep with it on me. I wake up and somehow during the wake up smacked the phone and knocked it onto the floor beside me. No big deal, right? I've done this a few times with my Maxx and Droid 4 before it. Even the BlackBerries back in the day. They all had Otterbox Defenders (sans the Droid 4, which had a Commuter as no Defender existed). So I'll pick it up to check on my text mes...

... it's off. Cracked screen. It could be cracks on the inside of the glass, but they're not cracks on the outside of the glass as it's smooth. The Otterbox itself is fine. No damage there. Not on the soft outer coating shell, not on the hard inner shell. The phone itself doesn't have any scuffs or what not. But somehow, someway, I cracked the screen and it won't load up at all. It will not open. It will not plug into my PC and let me download data (though everything is Clouded or already elsewhere anyway, so, no big whoop), and the thing is basically dead. If I plug it in and charge it, the buttons at the bottom light up, it'll vibrate, and it goes off, and this repeats every, oh, 5 minutes or so until it dies out. So yeah, it's dead.

Good news, it's in the 14-day window as tomorrow is day 14. I can go exchange it for free, provided the store has a 64GB model, or I have to order one. Bad news, I had to drag the old Droid 4 out of retirement for an emergency phone (I had to trade in the Droid Maxx to get the Turbo) and man is that thing slow as (bleep). And to think, I used to love typing on physical keyboard phones and hated going touch screen. I guess I adapted?

But anyway, I've never had this happen. I've seen the horror stories of any phone in general having a smashed screen as if it were hammered or something, but those are people who don't take precautions. I take good care of my phones as far as protection. To have it in a super protective case and this happen? So weird.

So if you had a bad day, hope this made you feel better. I'll be fine, though. Surely the exchange will be smooth, right? (If you're named Murphy, shut up! LOL!)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The LCD layer of the screen is, as the name implies, both liquid and a crystal. Just the right (wrong?) shock at just the right spot van shatter it, despite Otter Boxes (I love the Defender) and tempered glass protectors. (Diamonds are cut with soft steel tools, tapped with a few ounces of force - because crystals like diamonds and LCD screens have clevage planes and it takes almost no force to cleave a crystal along its cleavage plane.) I'd say Murphy was taking some very exacting measurements on your couch today.

I had a great day, though - my older grandson's Chromecase wouldn't connect to the router for the longest time. Brought it to the TV near the router and it connected and set up, brought back down to his room and it worked. So now I have 2 happy grandsons (the younger one's Chromecase set up right away). Can''t have a better Christmas than that.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The LCD layer of the screen is, as the name implies, both liquid and a crystal. Just the right (wrong?) shock at just the right spot van shatter it, despite Otter Boxes (I love the Defender) and tempered glass protectors. (Diamonds are cut with soft steel tools, tapped with a few ounces of force - because crystals like diamonds and LCD screens have clevage planes and it takes almost no force to cleave a crystal along its cleavage plane.) I'd say Murphy was taking some very exacting measurements on your couch today.

I had a great day, though - my older grandson's Chromecase wouldn't connect to the router for the longest time. Brought it to the TV near the router and it connected and set up, brought back down to his room and it worked. So now I have 2 happy grandsons (the younger one's Chromecase set up right away). Can''t have a better Christmas than that.

Well, Murphy has also seen a new ceiling fan darn near catch on fire and have to be returned to Lowe's for a properly working one, a pre-lit color Christmas tree have a middle section go out and to be returned, and a few other gaffes since my wife and I moved into this house three years ago. The fan was the best -- and scariest -- story of all of them. I'm convinced there is a guy out there who knows I'm going to purchase something, and he makes that product, knowing it's going into my hands, just to screw with my mind.

At least your Chromecast works now. Mine connected first try when I got it over a year ago, so I got lucky there.

As for the phone, that is a very plausible explanation and some good insight I never thought of. I must have just hit the sweet spot and knocked it out of the park. Except this isn't baseball, so I lost. :D

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Long story short I called VZW. Call center reps 1 on Christmas and 2 this morning failed. In between the two reps, VZW store was spot on and so was VZW supervisor from this morning: Motorola replaces one-time only cracked screens. In fact, the tech guy who handled processing the Motorola replacement was shocked the Otterbox failed me even though it didn't have a scratch. He told me he believes (did NOT guarantee; he advised me to research this and if it's true, tuck it under my hat) that Otterboxes guarantee stuff doesn't break so if it happens again, I have replacement option No. 2 at no cost, even if a few extra hoops. And I have other phones in Otterbox Defenders right now.

So while the call center experience with normal reps was a buzz kill, the supervisor and the tech guy who ordered my phone were pretty cool. And if the tech guy is right, well, that's more awesomeness. I was afraid of a massive failure of my situation like I had before, but these two guys knew their stuff. And they'll take care of Motorola, all I had to do was pay for overnight shipping and it will be here tomorrow (Saturday). Yeah I wish that was free, but it's okay. I will pay for it, as I know these two guys were resolving the situation, and ultimately, I caused it by falling asleep on the couch, right? Yeah, that's a Christmas nap I won't soon forget!

So it was tedious, but, I feel better. And I did make sure to tell VZW it was no fault of the individual reps, but I know how call centers work, and it's just miscommunication. I've worked in two of them (one now, actually), and I'm guilty as charged on screwing up as well as fixing others' work. So, while I was frustrated, I kept it in perspective, and the sup I got this time was nothing short of cordial and he and the tech guy he transferred me to... I wish I had their names, as I would totally write them letters of positive commendation for how they handled me. And as a CCR myself, I know how those don't often happen. And they need it. I gotta work on that this weekend. I'm sure the notes will show their employee codes, but I can't let their good work go unnoticed. We have a tendency as a society to latch onto negatives, and doggone it, these guys need commended in the highest, most positive way possible. And if that Otterbox stuff is true, more power to them.

All I ask is to be treated right. They did that. And given the crappy week I've had, to come away knowing I got that, I feel much better.

But again, no more Christmas naps on that couch!!! LOL!

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't remember now if it was on this forum or the Moto X one, but somebody else had their phone in an Otterbox and had a cracked screen after the phone dropped to the floor, so you're not the only one - although unlucky enough to have your phone fall at just the wrong angle. Glad you're getting a replacement so fast. I know if I had to go back to my old Atrix while waiting on a replacement, that would be PAINFUL.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember now if it was on this forum or the Moto X one, but somebody else had their phone in an Otterbox and had a cracked screen after the phone dropped to the floor, so you're not the only one - although unlucky enough to have your phone fall at just the wrong angle. Glad you're getting a replacement so fast. I know if I had to go back to my old Atrix while waiting on a replacement, that would be PAINFUL.

This Droid 4 is slow and painful. There's probably an exaggerated way I can type out slow and painful on here, and it wouldn't get the message across. Dead earpiece so I HAVE to use speakerphone or bluetooth. So bluetooth it is, which is fine and dandy and I'm glad I have that option. At least I am not phoneless and while it randomly reboots, I can also call forward if I'm set where I'll be -- which isn't always the case when it comes to work and such. But weekends and evenings, not an issue.

Anyway, so in the latest twist, the guy who ordered it.... chose USPS 3-5 day free shipping. When I got the e-mail it said so. I ordered at noon and the e-mail was at 4:30. Well, I was kinda busy then so I couldn't check on it right away. When I checked at 6 (and these are ET times) by calling VZW, they said it was not overnight. I told them in a bit of a huff that I was promised overnight and I was willing to pay for it because I specifically asked in the call if my card was needed or not, as sometimes they can do it straight to bill and sometimes they can't. He said no.

This lady then re-ordered the phone so I get it tomorrow overnighted. When my next bill comes with the shipping charge (the one due in Jan. has arrived; this will be the one for Feb. now), my account is supposedly going to be notated and I will get a credit for that shipping. This is being done due to the inconvenience I have experienced. I would have paid for the overnight shipping, and I did not ask for this credit, so this is them doing it.

As for the one sent USPS, I basically open it, pull out the shipping label, and instaship it back (which will be shipping the next day as I get home from work well after the USPS is closed for the day.)

I swear, can someone please give me Murphy's address? And can you pull the funds together on GoFundMe or something for the bail money for stalking on property once I find him? I just want him to repeal his law, that's all, LOL!

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I do know that verizon has a free one time phone replacement on the Turbo. Of course they give you a refurb, but since the phone is so new maybe it will be a new one?

As for the otterbox defender, I wouldnt loose hope in it as a great case. As other said it just hit the wrong way. I have has the defender on my droid x. what a frickin tank that was. Whenever I drink ...lemonade... i used to throw it up 30 feet in the air and itd come smashing down into the ground. For two years I did that until eventually the mechanical camera shutter started freezing but as soon as you open the camera app itd open.

Then I got a Gnex with defender case, same thing, tank, not as good as the droid x though. Now I have a lifeproof on my Turbo 64 just cause I need it waterproof, such a peace of mind. I havent and WONT test it though. But hey, dont loose hope in the defender they are the best for protection.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I do know that verizon has a free one time phone replacement on the Turbo. Of course they give you a refurb, but since the phone is so new maybe it will be a new one?

As for the otterbox defender, I wouldnt loose hope in it as a great case. As other said it just hit the wrong way. I have has the defender on my droid x. what a frickin tank that was. Whenever I drink ...lemonade... i used to throw it up 30 feet in the air and itd come smashing down into the ground. For two years I did that until eventually the mechanical camera shutter started freezing but as soon as you open the camera app itd open.

Then I got a Gnex with defender case, same thing, tank, not as good as the droid x though. Now I have a lifeproof on my Turbo 64 just cause I need it waterproof, such a peace of mind. I havent and WONT test it though. But hey, dont loose hope in the defender they are the best for protection.

I got a refurb, which is no big deal. It's guaranteed. Sometimes people just return the phone and they make sure there are no scratches on them or change the exterior frame so it's scratch free and that's that. Nothing bad about refubs at all. I've had them before. :)

And I'm not giving up on the Otterbox. One instance over years of many people using the defender that I know, including my own phones, is a pure fluke, not the norm. They're a good case for a reason. But I haven't found anything on its website about replacing phones broken while in an Otterbox. I'll dig deeper and see what I can find.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got a refurb, which is no big deal. It's guaranteed. Sometimes people just return the phone and they make sure there are no scratches on them or change the exterior frame so it's scratch free and that's that. Nothing bad about refubs at all. I've had them before. :)

And I'm not giving up on the Otterbox. One instance over years of many people using the defender that I know, including my own phones, is a pure fluke, not the norm. They're a good case for a reason. But I haven't found anything on its website about replacing phones broken while in an Otterbox. I'll dig deeper and see what I can find.

The refurb might be fine, but if you were within the 14 day window, you kind of got screwed out of a new phone. You could have had a brand new, in-box phone but got a used phone instead. That's probably why the reps were so nice to you, so you wouldn't push the new phone issue.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The refurb might be fine, but if you were within the 14 day window, you kind of got screwed out of a new phone. You could have had a brand new, in-box phone but got a used phone instead. That's probably why the reps were so nice to you, so you wouldn't push the new phone issue.

At this point I'm just glad I got a phone. My beef with Verizon in December 2014 is insane. It's Murphy's Law to the extreme!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, but this is incorrect.

Refurbished phones are unacceptable to most of us but at least right now you would probably end up with a new one anyways.

The issue is even within 14 days he would have had to get a refurbished device. They will not exchange for a new device because there was physical damage and normally he couldn't get a refurbished device either but Verizon has a 1-time replacement for display damage on the Turbo.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but this is incorrect.

Refurbished phones are unacceptable to most of us but at least right now you would probably end up with a new one anyways.

The issue is even within 14 days he would have had to get a refurbished device. They will not exchange for a new device because there was physical damage and normally he couldn't get a refurbished device either but Verizon has a 1-time replacement for display damage on the Turbo.

You are correct. Sorry, my bad. I actually realized I was wrong after I posted it, as his phone was damaged and not eligible. However, I probably would have pushed the issue in store a bit, even if I had to fib about how it broke.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. Sorry, my bad. I actually realized I was wrong after I posted it, as his phone was damaged and not eligible. However, I probably would have pushed the issue in store a bit, even if I had to fib about how it broke.

I'm not too concerned. Refurbs are guaranteed and mine is working just peachy after a few days. All's well that ends well. I don't care. Just as long as it works to my liking, I'm just fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non