source:

Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 is Here! - xda-developers

Droid Ultra surfaces in leaked photo, model number hints at Maxx variant

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yea chances are since Google now owns Motorola we won't ever see a Motorola device with a removable battery or sd slot.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

Seems as though Motorola hasn't shipped a major phone with a removable battery for awhile now.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They sell the amazing battery life in these devices as a defining feature...

Transmitted through spacetime.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They sell the amazing battery life in these devices as a defining feature...

Transmitted through spacetime.

Because on the MAXX variants, it's true - no removable battery necessary.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Love it those features are so 2000. Not needed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Seems to me Motorola devices have historically shipped with stronger and more reliable call and data radios and better batteries than certain companies that are well known for "remuvible battereez and sd K4rdz". The former > the latter.

Nowadays it's hard NOT to buy a phone that isn't assembled in a crapconn plant, but I've always felt Moto uses higher quality parts in that assembly than Asian OEM's do.

mlsanders

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My issue with non-removable battery is not battery life as much as the life of the battery. On my GS2, the battery crapped out after a year and the phone wouldn't stay on longer than 2 minutes without being plugged in. With a removable battery, I just had to go online and order a new one and a few days later I was back in business. Plus I spend a lot of time on the road in areas with less than desirable reception that chews through battery real quick so it's nice to be able to swap out a new battery and go about my day instead of leaving my phone plugged in all day in the hot truck. I know alot of people don't care about removable batteries, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary for some of the rest of us.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While I am a fan of the 2000s as moosc put it, I do like the removable battery. SD card is 50/50. Yes I like being able to transfer data anywhere without WiFi or data, but if the phone comes with enough storage that filling it up isn't going to be a problem then, I'd sacrifice that for a battery I can change. I give you that sealed units have better batteries, but there is no substitute for being able to have a fresh battery when needed. Also if you look at some of the recent trouble reports around the forums, those Razr Max's are having all the symptoms of battery fatigue. Holding less charge and overheating, but now it's an insurance claim, or suffer, over going to eBay or somewhere and just getting what you need. Just so I don't get angry comments yes you can also get one of those boosters, but that's one more thing to carry and it might as well be an extra battery. A battery without the convenience of being part of the phone. (connected by a tether)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems as though Motorola hasn't shipped a major phone with a removable battery for awhile now.

You know, if they are going to keep doing that, they should atleast make the razr maxx battery standard in thier phones. I realize most people only keep thier devices on average ~1 year, but it would still be nice to replace the battery incase it randomly dies or something, without having to have it serviced. They act like it takes a Professional Technician to replace a phone battery or something.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You know, if they are going to keep doing that, they should atleast make the razr maxx battery standard in thier phones. I realize most people only keep thier devices on average ~1 year, but it would still be nice to replace the battery incase it randomly dies or something, without having to have it serviced. They act like it takes a Professional Technician to replace a phone battery or something.

It's all about price points. Having this new Ultra line with a Ultra Mini, Ultra, and Ultra Maxx allows them to sell phones for $100, $200, and $250/300 on-contract.

IIRC, the ~2500 mAh battery is no slouch on the current RAZR HD.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I realize most people only keep thier devices on average ~1 year, but it would still be nice to replace the battery incase it randomly dies or something, without having to have it serviced.

EXCUSE ME? When it comes to cell phones, "most people" are not like the people on these forums, meaning that they don't treat phones the way crack addicts feed their addictions with more crack. "most people" upgrade every two years or so when their account has an upgrade available.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
EXCUSE ME? When it comes to cell phones, "most people" are not like the people on these forums, meaning that they don't treat phones the way crack addicts feed their addictions with more crack. "most people" upgrade every two years or so when their account has an upgrade available.
given that we're talking here as smartphone enthusiasts I doubt anyone here cares about what's acceptable for average users.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
given that we're talking here as smartphone enthusiasts I doubt anyone here cares about what's acceptable for average users.

But here's the thing. What's acceptable for average users is what the OEMs are going to put out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress