Software or Hardware Problems

rjr1049

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I am running a Droid X that is just over a year old and the OS is the stock OTA Gingerbread. The phone is not rooted. Recently I have had problems with the phone and I am trying to figure out if the hardware is failing or if it is a software issue.

The phone would frequently restart when I selected it to power down. More seriously, I carry the phone in a belt side case with a velcro flap and I would frequently discover that it had crashed, so I would not be getting calls that came in, requiring a battery pull to restart it. Thinking it might be an overloaded memory problem, I removed a number of apps that sat in memory so that there was plenty of memory available. That didn't resolve the problems so I did a factory reset and, so far, the phone seems OK.

Do Android phones just develop these problems, requiring factory resets from time to time, or could something else be going on? Thanks in advance for the help.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Do Android phones just develop these problems, requiring factory resets from time to time, or could something else be going on? Thanks in advance for the help.

My X is a little over a year old, and I've been running stock GB ever since it was released last Summer. I have never had to do a factory reset. The occasional reboot or battery pull (it IS a computer that needs occasional resetting), but that's it. This has been the most trouble-free phone I have ever had since I upgraded from the venerable StarTac in 2003.

My guess is that the issue you had was caused by a misbehaving application, and the reset was needed to clear out its settings from whatever Android uses as a Registry.

Reactions: scottabutler

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I mess with my phone constantly and have never had to do a factory reset for anything like that, only ever for precaution before flashing ROM's etc.. I think the other poster was right, misbehaving apps can be a major pain..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699