2.2 update without activation

scotth45

May 4, 2010
Visit site
i was wondering i have another phone activated right now on Verizon but have a droid x that is not activated i sbfed back to 2.1 and bypassed activation when i check system updates it is shaded so i guess my phone cannot get the update? until i go back to it. or will i be able to update it without it being activated? i guess if Verizon pushes it and my phone isn't on it won't work.

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I took have a DX that is not activated on the Verizon network at this time.
I can understand why Verizon cannot push the update to my DX since it is not active yet.

I have been running the DX using a wireless connection and had hoped to "pull" the update down using the check system updates. When I try to do that the the "System updates" under Settings/About Phone is not bright white letters but a darker shade. I suspect I will have to activate the phone before I can get the 2.2 update. Can anyone confirm this to be the case?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I'm in the same boat. I have my Incredible activated right meow and just flashed the SBF on my X. Just waiting for the 2.2 OTA to get rooted and then I'll activate the X and pull the update and then root it.

To answer your question, you can't get system updates on non-activated phones.

scotth45

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's what i thought. I wonder if i could get the update.zip and do it that way i got my palm activated cause i lost my phone then i found it i wonder how many times i can switch bacck between phones does it matter?

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't. I switch back to my blackberry from time to time with no problems. Just keep *228-ing :)

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk